User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  34
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ready and where to buy Canon 7D II

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than I asked for indeed! Thankyou William, that was a really interesting read.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you have bought the 7D Mk ii plus lens for sports but I manage with the Canon 80D plus 55-250 IS STM lens (88-400mm equivalent 35mm they say).
    80D has 7fps continuous and although the 7D Mk ii is 10fps a short burst will not give you many more pics to choose from.
    For instance, if you take a burst of 4 pics with the 80D at 7fps, in that same time the 7DMk ii will have taken only 5. ie only one more.
    If you hold your finger down for several seconds then you will get lots more with the 7D Mk ii of course.
    As far as I can see only the very expensive Canons will give a higher fps.
    I have just done this excercise as I too want a faster frame rate but it can be very confusing.
    Some of the mirrorless brands give better fps but that is often with focus only locked on the first frame of however many you take.
    Sony RX10 Mk iii has this at 14fps and a 600mm lens too.
    Phil.
    Equipment: Panasonic Lumix G9, GX9, Panasonic Leica 100-400 f/4.0-6.3, Panasonic 14-140 f3.5-5.6, Panasonic 7-14mm f4, Weifeng WF-717A tripod, Manfrotto 560B-1 Monopod, Huawei P30 Pro.
    Software: Corel PaintShop Pro 2020 + Corel Painter Essentials 4
    - Beauty and Design in Nature - do you see it?

flickr

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For "Sports Action" it is arguably more important to consider the technicalities of the AF's tracking ability and generally for most follow action sports it is the better technique to be shooting in a burst of 3 (or 4) anyway and develop precise timing which predicated on the Photographer's prediction of when the key action shot will happen (i.e. rather than pulling 7 or 10 frames willy-nilly) and as pointed out, the difference in time to spurt out 3 frames is minimal, insignificant.

For rhythmic action sports: with an understanding of the sport and one's skills developed, a single shot should only be required most of the time.

I don't know details of the differences (if there are) between the precision of AF on the 7DMkII and the 80D, but I can comment that the 7DMkII has very good speed, acquisition and follow when the AF is in AI Servo Mode. This is also affected by the Maximum Aperture Speed on the lens being used (and of course the lens’s inherent AF Motor Speed and accuracy, etc).

The above would lead us to conclude that lenses such as the Canon family of the F/2.8 Telephoto Primes and also the three 70 to 200/2.8L zooms would be the preferred choice of lens that would maximize the AF performance whatever Camera body were chosen: and they are.

I have the earlier model EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS (not the STM version), the STM reportedly has improved AF functionality. But I also think that Phil’s comments above, although not stated, still echo the fact that an essential ingredient to making good quality Sports Images is the technique, skill and experience of the bloke or girl who is driving the camera.

WW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if I missed it but what sports were you intending on shooting ?? the 7dm11 is fast but the lens and card must suit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather slow-moving sports, one is led to assume. At around six weeks between posts, perhaps instead of a 7D II we should be recommending a slate and chisel. Snail racing? Grand Prix Bonsai?

(Sorry Pup: if and when you ever come back to read this thread, we will of course drop the jokes and be just as happy to advise as ever.)
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7D Mark iii coming 2nd quarter of 2018?
    http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos...f-of-2018-cr2/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't reckon, Phil. (1) There is no "schedule" or "pattern" to releases in the 7D line. People are saying a 7D III is "due" at that time. Garbage. They are predicting from a pattern of .... wait for it .... one. (2) There is no clear weakness to address. Given the state of camera technology, what could they actually do with a 7D III that the current one doesn't do just fine already? (There is a thread running over at Gearhead City (DPR) where posters are asked to say what they'd like to see in the new 7D. It's quite funny because all these gearheads are free to speculate without limit and they are coming up with .... well .... nothing much.

I'm going to make my own prediction now. I predict that people will speculate and fantasise about a 7D III, and predict its release on particular dates, over and over for quite a while.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the most significant improvement they could include is a fully articulating touch screen. But that might be too difficult as they already have several function buttons down the back left hand side of the camera. In order to include a fully articulating touch screen they would have to reposition all those buttons which is not that easy to do I imagine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I'd love an artic screen and have often considered a 60/70/80D I don't need for this reason alone. (Couldn't care less about touch function. Toys have touch screens. Real tools have proper keys, buttons, switches or dials.) However, Canon have a policy not to put articulating screens on pro or semi-pro cameras. Apparently they regard articulated screen as being too easy to damage and too hard to weatherproof. So the 1D, 5D and 7D lines do not have artic screens, while most of the lesser models do. So touch: yes. Arrtic: no. (Personally, I'd rather it was the other way around.)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    . . . There is a thread running over at Gearhead City . . . etc
    Hilarious.

WW

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gearhead City (DPR)?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil777 View Post
    Gearhead City (DPR)?
    yes!
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gearhead City (DPR)?
    yes!
    More Hilarious.

There are gear-heads everywhere, but IMO, I agree, there is a conflagration of them, there.

More soberly - (and slightly off topic)

I delivered a paper (around 1990), required in part for Senate Estimates: the broad brief was to investigate the purchase of (Audio and Photographic) Technology for Technology's sake (i.e. purchase without or with little relevance to needs or outputs).

'Keeping-up' with the latest release of technology solely for the sake of having the latest release of technology appears to me to have increased and is now both systemic and endemic in many areas - public and private; to the point of an habituation of social function whereby the tool is to be the first and the final measure of the output with little regard for other factors.

It is seen everywhere and in places that arguably matter much more than Photography: Education and Medicine are two stand-out examples.

WW
    Last edited by William W; 18-07-2017 at 12:02pm.

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone thank you sooooo much for all your feed back its greatly appreciated.

I've been busy of late and haven't had much free time.
    I have come down to 2 lens within my budget, which I've had to down size. Start small for now and later if everything works out i'll look at another.

Lens are:
    1:Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM LINK

2:Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM LINK

Not 100% to which one as I'm still learning heaps but I think #1 might be better suited.
    Whats your view

Again Thank You everyone

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, I ended up with a 7D mkii and 70-200mm lens. Also got some extras and planning to get another lens soon.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new kit.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reference to the possibility of a 7D Mark iii - I notice that the Grey sites (DWI etc) have dropped the asking price of the Mark ii body to $AUD1299. B&H have also dropped it by $USD300 though they are still asking $AUD1956. Australian asking price seems to hover around the $AUD2200 mark, though this varies. I would think that the Hong Kong guys are trying to clear stock to be ready for a newer model?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteInOz View Post
    In reference to the possibility of a 7D Mark iii - I notice that the Grey sites (DWI etc) have dropped the asking price of the Mark ii body to $AUD1299. B&H have also dropped it by $USD300 though they are still asking $AUD1956. Australian asking price seems to hover around the $AUD2200 mark, though this varies. I would think that the Hong Kong guys are trying to clear stock to be ready for a newer model?
    DDP (North Sydney) are advertising $1799.00.

I have no affiliation with DDP, other than being a time to time customer - just looked at their prices out of curiosity upon reading the comments quoted.

WW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running 16-35 with the 7d m2 for still images and getting some wicked results , very happy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12