User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Partial delete with dual cards

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Partial delete with dual cards

I shoot raw + JPG on a 1D IV, sending the raws to the (bigger, faster) CF card and the JPGs to the SD card. I've done this for many years.

But since a week or two ago, when I delete a shot in-camera, it only deletes the raw file, leaving the JPG behind. It's never done this before. I haven't changed any relevant camera settings that I'm aware of.

Before I go nuts trying to figure it out, has anybody met this odd-ball behaviour before?
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out it is not odd-ball, it is standard. Apparently, I have never deleted images in-camera on the 1D IV before, only on my various and motely other cameras.

With any twin-card setup in any Canon camera, in-camera delete only deletes the image on the active card. So if you are (e.g.) shooting raw with the CF card as #1 and mirroring to the SD card for backup, delete will axe the copy on the CF card and only that copy. When I shoot raw + JPG, sending raw to the CF and JPG to the SD, delete only axes the JPG, leaving the raw on the other card alone.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Turns out it is not odd-ball, it is standard. Apparently, I have never deleted images in-camera on the 1D IV before, only on my various and motely other cameras.

With any twin-card setup in any Canon camera, in-camera delete only deletes the image on the active card. So if you are (e.g.) shooting raw with the CF card as #1 and mirroring to the SD card for backup, delete will axe the copy on the CF card and only that copy. When I shoot raw + JPG, sending raw to the CF and JPG to the SD, delete only axes the JPG, leaving the raw on the other card alone.
    I've never done Raw on one card and jpg on another .. just backup(and even then, only for testing purposes to see what it all does and means.

D800 does the same thing tho, and I'd assume that all dual card cameras do it that way too.
    If you delete files, it'll only be on the active card at the time.

Makes sense too tho, so as to ensure you delete only the stuff you are 100.01% sure you want to delete.

BTW, on the D800E, I have the second card (which is only an SD card) to only capture video, and the CF card to store still images. But, if I ever run out of space on the CF card, I then use the SD card until I get a chance to replace the CF card.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N