My 7D Mark 1 is dead. Nothing happens at all. I tried swapping the battery, cleaning the contacts, and replacing the internal battery, but it's still dead.

I have ordered a new 7D II to replace it, largely because I want a bird camera with better performance above ISO 400 <i>and</i> more reach than the 1D IV. I love the 1D IV and it's always my first choice for bird work (well, for everything really) but sometimes I need more reach and sometimes I need two cameras at the same time, so the 7D has been the tool. Great camera in perfect light, but it's just not up to scratch with a long lens and middling light, never mind poor light. So I've replaced it.

But if it's economical to repair, the 7D Mark 1 is still a miles better all-round general-purpose camera than the tired old 50D I use with shorter lenses, and would be excellent with my ultra-wides. (Both the fish and the 10-22 require APS-C so I can't use the 5D II with them, and high ISO isn't really a requirement.) So I thought it might be worth sending off to someone to see if it's worth fixing. I don't even know if the chap in Brisbane who I used to send things to is still in business. Who do people recommend these days?