User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Camera repair options

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camera repair options

My 7D Mark 1 is dead. Nothing happens at all. I tried swapping the battery, cleaning the contacts, and replacing the internal battery, but it's still dead.

I have ordered a new 7D II to replace it, largely because I want a bird camera with better performance above ISO 400 <i>and</i> more reach than the 1D IV. I love the 1D IV and it's always my first choice for bird work (well, for everything really) but sometimes I need more reach and sometimes I need two cameras at the same time, so the 7D has been the tool. Great camera in perfect light, but it's just not up to scratch with a long lens and middling light, never mind poor light. So I've replaced it.

But if it's economical to repair, the 7D Mark 1 is still a miles better all-round general-purpose camera than the tired old 50D I use with shorter lenses, and would be excellent with my ultra-wides. (Both the fish and the 10-22 require APS-C so I can't use the 5D II with them, and high ISO isn't really a requirement.) So I thought it might be worth sending off to someone to see if it's worth fixing. I don't even know if the chap in Brisbane who I used to send things to is still in business. Who do people recommend these days?
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Accurate Instruments Servicing at Petrie. Peter provides great service! His business receives a lot of recommendations from other photographers as well when the issue of camera repairs comes up on local Brisbane forums.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're ever in the big smoke, there is a small workshop on Lonsdale St across the road from Michaels Camera.
    He's not well advertised, and has no shop front, as he's up on the 8th floor and well out of sight.
    It's worth the trip up there just to experience a real elevator too .. FWIW!

I can't remember the exact details, but can get them if you need.

He repaired my busted D800E.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sufran and Arthur. The name "Peter" rings a bell, Sufran. I reckon that might be the same bloke who fixed my 24-105 some years ago, and some other job prior to that which I can't remember now. As I recall, he did a good job and charged a very fair price. I think I'll give him a hoy. (Post 3000k to Brisbane is easier than driving 120k into Melbourne and finding a park, with or without a ride in a proper lift!)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    .... (Post 3000k to Brisbane is easier than driving 120k into Melbourne and finding a park, with or without a ride in a proper lift!)
    Am I watching this bright green(ie) fade to black .. right here before my very eyes??

I'd have thought you'd drive to the outskirts, like North Melbourne or somewhere similarly distant, and either walk in or catch the freebie ye olde worlde loopy tram-y thingy.

Actually, come to think of it .. I get 'ya totally.
    I hate driving anywhere near the city too, so I avoid it personally .. and just have to quietly live with my objection with respect to work related forays in that direction.

But! On the bright side(for me), I'm due for a drive to Ballarat soon ... just have to figure out a way to sync some free time with the ability to actually do it.

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't catch a tram anymore. Well, not unless you buy a stupid card (no idea how or where) and charge it up with some (doubtless way too large) minimum amount of money, which probably times out like a pre-paid telephone if you don't use it up, and which you have to bloody carry around with you just in case you want to use it. Stupidest idea ever.

Why can't you just get on the tram and pay some money? Is that too hard?

Forget it. I'll walk. If I can't walk I'll crawl.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    You can't catch a tram anymore. Well, not unless you buy a stupid card (no idea how or where) and charge it up with some (doubtless way too large) minimum amount of money, which probably times out like a pre-paid telephone if you don't use it up, and which you have to bloody carry around with you just in case you want to use it. Stupidest idea ever.

Ain't that the truth!
    This idiots idea 'ease of use' has totally put me off public transport completely now!
    Where I used to occasionally use it where appropriate .. now I just won't even bother going into that direction if 'parking is going to be an issue'

But you can catch that freebie W series tram that loops the city if you park out on the fringes.

.. anyhow, this chap in the city was just another option.

can't remember
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the 7D back from Peter today. It was a nasty repair, close to a total loss. Apparently some mysterious sticky liquid had got into it and shorted out a couple of circuit boards. (No idea how, why, or when. I just remember picking it up for the first time in ages and finding the battery cover difficult to open. Cue tasteless jokes about mysterious sticky liquid.) All up, it was close to $600 to repair. Peter gave me a call and we talked it over. The 7D is only worth about $600-800. Worth doing? Marginal. In the end I rang him back and said to go ahead.

Works like a dream now.

Sadly, it's only going to be my spare body and will barely get used from now on. Waste of $600 in a lot of ways. But the moment you go outback without a spare, you know what happens.

Still, it has one last chance to get some real work in before my 5D IV arrives and relegates it to the second team. It is a joy to use a camera with a proper focus system for normal pictures. Up to now, my quality-AF bodies have been largely confined to birding use (where good AF is critical and essential) while most of my landscape and general work gets hand-me-downs like the AF-crippled 5D II and the ancient 50D. Now, with the 7D II replacing it for long lens work, it gets one last golden Indian summer to show what it can do before the 5D IV arrives.

Anyway, thumbs up to Peter.