Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Requirements How have they changed

With a system upgrade soon and advice aplenty
    Would it be wise to upgrade mainly photography processing by using
    a Gaming built PC or go a different path

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bookmark. I've been looking at gaming Laptops recently as my computer is dead. I found it difficult to pp my photos in photoshop with the last computer as it didn't have enough RAM. So interested in the responses to this thread.
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cupic.

Are you thinking Desktop or Laptop?

Gaming set-ups are all about CPU, GPU, HD and RAM speeds because if you don't have the latest and quickest, your opponent will ZAP you. Most are probably overkill for PP.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

D750 Shines
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im going the PC route Dell have gaming computer sort of on sale starting at 1800$ with 8gb ram for starters.Other sites indicate that a gaming PC would
    have the goods on photography needs with the video card use in gaming would suit pp
    With a 256SSD and 1TB Sata HDD this would benefit the SSD speed and storage wise the SATA would suffice
    Any input would be great
    I do have a Apple MAc Pro with retina display and the colours are fantastic but its only 128SSD with 8 Gb RAM 2013 model and the PC is a Dell PC also about 5 yrs old
    Would love the USB 3 speed with any other improvement
    Note Im not a techno guru so Im willing to learn more

cheers

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cupic, the big improvers in the speed stakes are the new M.2 SSD's... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2 and the USB 3.1 interface... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

If you feel the need for speed these two components are probably must have items along with 16GB of DDR4 RAM. A Video Card with at least 4GB of on-board DDR5 RAM would be a good match.

Personally I think that is overkill for PP. I'm comfortable with a GPU running at 4000MHz, 16GB of RAM running at 1666MHz, a 256GB SSD and 1TB of spindle drive storage.

The biggest lesson I learnt when I built my current system was not to skimp on RAM. I had daily screen freezes for months until I discovered that the 8GB of RAM that I thought was plenty was maxing out. I bumped it to 16GB and haven't had a problem since. There are many companies that will build a unit to your specs, PC Case Gear being one that I've bought stuff from and seem to know their stuff.

Oh, and you will probably want to upgrade your monitor as well to a HD IPS panel. I'm currently using a Dell U2515H which I'm quite pleased with.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just added 4gig of RAM, and changed to the much faster and more reliable solid state 500 gig hard drive for about $450, including labour and cloning old HD to new. But then my use of PS Elements does not require huge resources .
    cheers marty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These guys seem to have solid advice and benchmarks on various aspects of a computer for Adobe work.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomme...ecommendations

They also have a benchmark showing that the latest and greatest they recommend is only 1.6 times faster than the latest and greatest from 2011 (for their lightroom tests).

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...CC-2015-8-901/

I'm putting together a core i5 7500 system for myself, starting with 16G ram, and a 250G SSD mainly to run light room ans software development - I have my photos on a NAS.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinelp View Post
    These guys seem to have solid advice and benchmarks on various aspects of a computer for Adobe work.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomme...ecommendations

They also have a benchmark showing that the latest and greatest they recommend is only 1.6 times faster than the latest and greatest from 2011 (for their lightroom tests).

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...CC-2015-8-901/

I'm putting together a core i5 7500 system for myself, starting with 16G ram, and a 250G SSD mainly to run light room ans software development - I have my photos on a NAS.
    Thanks for the Pudget links.

It was interesting to note their contention that most Lightroom and Photoshop processes only use four cores. I was also pleasantly surprised too see that other than the CPU, I'm using an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition happily chugging away at 4000MHz, most of my self-selected components match those in their high-end Adobe systems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get by with an Intel Core i3-550 (which I think is only 3.2GHz), 4 GB of RAM, and a pretty basic ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card with 1 GB VRAM, whatever that is.

That was ok but I also have a 16 GB SD Card dedicated to ReadyBoost. That is an inexpensive way to boost performance.

It works pretty well unless I am merging an 8-shot panorama from raw files. Then I make a cup of tea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Andrew

D750 Shines
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps after reading this link the choice is easier
    https://fstoppers.com/originals/ulti...omputer-175962

cheers