Thread: Adobe Lens profile correction issue

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adobe Lens profile correction issue

Hi all,

While editing my photos in Lightroom, I've observed that applying lens profiles in Adobe Lightroom sometimes seems to introduce more distortion.

Example:

Without the lens profile correction:
    DSC_7699-HDR-2.jpg

With the lens profile correction:
    DSC_7699-HDR.jpg

is this a problem with the lens profile, or is it a shortfall of lens profiles in general, or is it just my eyes, and the "corrected" one actually does look better?

Is any lens profile correction applied in camera only applied to the JPEG version, or is the correction applied even before the RAW file is saved? (in which case, it is pointless applying the lens profile in lightroom, as it would then be "overdone"...)
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John

My understanding of Lens Profiles is as follows:

• No profile is applied in-camera for RAW files.
    • For those cameras that support this function, the camera manufacturer lens profile can be applied in-camera for JPGs.

In my case, (I shoot Canon) I have the choice of either using Canon’s DPP to apply lens corrections, or use the Adobe LR lens corrections if I think the image needs it. Once applied in LR, I cannot apply any other lens corrections as the profile is now "embedded" and therefore there is no option to select another profile.

It might be that Canon’s DPP corrections are more accurate that Adobe’s LR implementation?

Cheers

Dennis
    Last edited by nardes; 23-04-2017 at 6:53pm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dennis. This particular image could probably get away without the lens profile I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk