Late last year I went to a special day at car race experience day and I took along a new monopod and old camera with new long (sigma) lens. Now this was only about the 3/4 occasion that I had used a monopod and 1st time at car races. Originally I got the pod to help with lens weight. At the race day I found it created many new problems for me. i..e being able to adjust to different alignment directions/levels (the best way I can describe at present).

After this session I decided that maybe an adjustable head would help with this situation. This I also felt it would be of benefit when out taking shots of birds.

Thus I went to local shop to talk to them about a new ball type head but was informed by shop person that I didn't need a head and that I must be using the pod incorrectly. Now maybe I was incorrect in use but I was still surprised. With that I put this subject away for a while.

So without opening a 'can of worms' I was wondering what others do when attaching camera/lens to monopod and takings shots of subjects that move around a fair bit?

Maybe it's just me but I find it hard to imagine that the professionals at the football side line with their gear on monopods, attaching camera direct to top of monpod which restrict greatly the near and far camera levelling not to mention someone running across you.