User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Help wanted to post pics to Facebook for the first time - resizing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help wanted to post pics to Facebook for the first time - resizing?

Hi,

I am not very tech savvy so please don't be amazed but I don't know how to post my photo's on to Facebook in the NewsFeed or on my wall. Do I have to resize the photos for Facebook? The only way i know how to do that is on my laptop using the resize function in " Open in Paint". I shoot in Jpeg.

thanks

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not amazed I don't know anything about FB, so there

OK another thing I'm not up on: Is that Paint that's part of the Windows Accessories?
    If so, I thought it was not a very capable program. Perhaps it can re-size.

Next Q: Is that all you you have for image editing programs? I do not want to bombard you
    with "info", so I'll wait for your reply, after you get some answers about FB...
    Last edited by ameerat42; 07-01-2017 at 1:11pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    I'm not amazed I don't know anything about FB, so there

OK another thing I'm not up on: Is that Paint that's part of the Windows Accessories?
    If so, I thought it was not a very capable program. Perhaps it can re-size.

Next Q: Is that all you you have for image editing programs? I do not want to bombard you
    with "info", so I'll wait for your reply, after you get some answers about FB...
    I am a total beginner so I have not done any editing other than resizing in Paint (yes I think it is a Windows accessory) and it seems to resize OK. I am subscribed to the online CC Lightroom and PS although haven't used them yet. Also i just joined Flickr so i can post photos on the Ausphotography site.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, ta for that info. I was going to suggest a reasonable program to get you by (FastStone) but
    since you've got LR and PS, better learn how to use them. They are pretty FULL-ON!!.

At some stage, start another thread about how to use those. I can help with PS.

Meanwhile, back to FBook... - I'm outta here

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juskat View Post
    I am a total beginner so I have not done any editing other than resizing in Paint (yes I think it is a Windows accessory) and it seems to resize OK. I am subscribed to the online CC Lightroom and PS although haven't used them yet. Also i just joined Flickr so i can post photos on the Ausphotography site.
    You don't need flickr or any other site to post photos to Ausphotography. You can upload them directly to Ausphotography. Click on Library on the main menu, then have a look in the How Do I section.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since you are now posting via flickr I'll assume you still need/want to post to FB. If so you need to figure out what their posting requirements (file size) is. Then let us know that. Easy to do in PS.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I'm not into Facebook either. I use Faststone Image viewer (free) for resizing. It does a great job. Otherwise I use Photoshop.

If you are desperate, Windows can resize photos. If you right click on one or more photos in your Windows explorer, in the menu which appears, choose Send to/Mail Recipient.. In the window which appears, choose the size you want and click attach. If your computer has Outlook installed in it Outlook will open a new email with the resized images attached. You can save the images from there.

If you do not have Outlook installed, there is a work around. It is described in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks57uB1xulI&t=0s

There are plenty of online website which will resize your images for you. Here is a link to one which has instructions http://resizeimage.net

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I' not very tech savvy either but I did join Fb to keep in touch with family while travelling. I think they prefer reasonably small images and although I have posted photos 1000 pixels on the longest side I usually stick to 800.
    Glenda

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My (vague) recollection is that Facebook will resize images that it deems too large (although I don't know what "too large" is). However this might give results that are less than ideal, so better to prepare the files yourself before uploading.

As you've already subscribed to Photoshop I'd suggest you start using that, maybe getting familiar with the crop, straighten and resize tools first as these are probably the most basic requirements. Should be plenty of tutes around but ask here if you get stuck.

Caution:-
    Before doing any processing back up your image files (at least the ones you wouldn't like to lose) and then work with copies of the files.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I post pics of any size on Facebook (up to 4k). If they are big, they take longer to load so it is probably wise not to load very large images. FB resizes them to fit your display.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    My (vague) recollection is that Facebook will resize images that it deems too large (although I don't know what "too large" is). However this might give results that are less than ideal, so better to prepare the files yourself before uploading.

As you've already subscribed to Photoshop I'd suggest you start using that, maybe getting familiar with the crop, straighten and resize tools first as these are probably the most basic requirements. Should be plenty of tutes around but ask here if you get stuck.

Caution:-
    Before doing any processing back up your image files (at least the ones you wouldn't like to lose) and then work with copies of the files.

Cheers.
    Thanks Steve, I have never used Photoshop as I always assumed it would be too hard for me. But I will follow your suggestion and start looking at some tutes on resizing, cropping and straightening.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have some guides here on AP in the Tutorials and Photoshop Forums

But resizing in photoshop (this is an old version of PS, but the idea is the same) http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...r-the-Internet

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...I have never used Photoshop as I always assumed it would be too hard for me.
    This is TRUE! - if you never start.

But I will follow your suggestion and start looking at some tutes on resizing, cropping and straightening.
    While this is a GREAT start!

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find standard sizing and sharpening from Lightroom to be fine for Facebook. I've generally never posted to Facebook to win awards. Facebook caters for HD images now so you can upload full siE but generally speaking I upload 2048 on the longest size as my image size, 8 on quality and export sharpness high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So going back to the original question, you don't need to resize or do anything when uploading photos to Facebook. Facebook will automatically compress and resize the photo a little.
    Usually when you log into Facebook, towards the top of the page you'll see a box with "What's on your mind?" in it.
    Click in there and it'll allow you to type in a message/thought, etc, and you'll notice there's also a button top left of it which says Photo/Video.
    You can click on this to then browse on your computer and select the photos/videos you'd like to post up along with your message (or no message if you don't want any).

If you go into your main profile page and not the default news feed page, you'll see another option which just says Photos a little higher up, under/beside your profile picture/cover. If you go in there first, then create an album, if I remember correctly, when you go to choose the photos you'd like to upload, you can also tick to upload in high quality.

Why this is important is as mentioned before, Facebook automatically resizes and compresses the image, selecting high quality will ensure it doesn't resize and compress too much - not a big deal honestly, unless you're trying to show off your photographic work or something.

Anyways, with regards to using Paint. You mentioned that you've already subscribed for Lightroom and Photoshop - invest time into it to learn to use it. If it gets too complicated and you just need a quick solution, what version of Windows are you running?

I find Microsoft Paint on Windows 8/10 more versatile compared to previous versions - not perfect, but definitely quick little things can be done.
    If you just want to resize/crop, I personally use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. You can use this by right clicking on the photo you want to edit, go to open with, and if it's not there, click 'Choose another app' (or whatever it would be for Windows 7 and before)
    Microsoft Office Picture Manager usually comes with Office, which I'm going to assume you have - most people do.

This tool is handy because if you just need to make some basic colour adjustments, or resize the image, or crop the image to get rid of parts from the image that you don't want, this tool is quick and easy. Also, you can hold Shift down when cropping to ensure you maintain the same aspect ratio when cropping.

Have a look in the AP Library if there's any terms you're unfamiliar with
    http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php
    I've also recently finished a basic illustrative guide on various aspects/terminologies regarding photography on my site, if it helps.

Anyways, have fun using Facebook, taking photos, and editing them
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bitsandpieces has given a great run-down here.

If you're shooting in JPEG initially, the file size won't be terribly big and Facebook will handle the technical stuff easily.

I export my photos out of lightroom from RAW to 100% JPEG size and have no issues with Facebook handling them.

It does compress the photo quite a bit, but the results aren't terrible.

If you follow the advice above, you'll successfully post photos and be able to have a fuss free experience.

The best thing about Facebook is its ease of use and the ability to share your stuff without any hassle.

Try not to add too much work to your memories or it'll fast become a chore and not enjoyable.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

6D
    EF 24-105mm f4L, EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 MKII, EF 100mm f2.8 Macro,

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mention you have Adobe CC with Photoshop and Lightroom.

I'd suggest you start with Lightroom. It's fairly intuitive and nowhere near as daunting as Photoshop. There are some very impressive shots posted on here from Lightroom users.
    Last edited by Cage; 12-03-2017 at 3:35pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargimuss View Post

The best thing about Facebook is its ease of use and the ability to share your stuff without any hassle.
    I have the hassle that I have no one I want to share my stuff with. Sad really