Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  22

Thread: Amazing!!

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing!!

I knew cyclone Debbie was a huge and powerful system but I didn't realise it was powerful enough to blow Airlie Beach south of Mackay.

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 4.53.38 am.png
    Glenda

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you'd always believe the media because you have to be really, really smart to get a gig on TV..... What a beat up this cyclone has been. They did the same with TC Marcia that hit Rocky a couple of years ago. The eye passed right over my house and they were all going on about winds up to 295kph. Maximum gust at my place might have been 140kph - still bloody scary, but not up to "shock and awe" like advertised. Let's see what they make of the floods we'll get here on the Fitzroy in about 7 days time.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm! Yes. Anything for some hyperbole.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Member formerly known as : Lplates
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    And you'd always believe the media because you have to be really, really smart to get a gig on TV..... What a beat up this cyclone has been. They did the same with TC Marcia that hit Rocky a couple of years ago. The eye passed right over my house and they were all going on about winds up to 295kph. Maximum gust at my place might have been 140kph - still bloody scary, but not up to "shock and awe" like advertised. Let's see what they make of the floods we'll get here on the Fitzroy in about 7 days time.
    Oh we won't hear anything about it now Warbler. Haven't you heard? The GREAT southeast is about to the hit with lots of rain and wind - that'll be the major news now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. We's important down here! It is rolling coverage on radio and TV. Schools are closed today and tomorrow.

So far we have had 90 mm of rain at our place with the winds picking up to about a winter westerly tempo. Nothing too bad yet. Now that I have said that a gum tree will probably fall on my house.
    Andrew

Member formerly known as : Lplates
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    Yep. We's important down here! It is rolling coverage on radio and TV. Schools are closed today and tomorrow.

So far we have had 90 mm of rain at our place with the winds picking up to about a winter westerly tempo. Nothing too bad yet. Now that I have said that a gum tree will probably fall on my house.
    Hope not. Our schools are also closed today but when the cyclone/low was closer all were open My son lives in New Farm and usually walks to work in the city. Apparently he rode today and they closed the office not long after everyone arrived. Don't think he was impressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully this will blow over tonight and the news readers can go back behind a desk. I really can't see the point of standing in the wind and rain to read the news.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    I knew cyclone Debbie was a huge and powerful system but I didn't realise it was powerful enough to blow Airlie Beach south of Mackay.
    Good one Glenda though nothing would surprise me, they make so many mistakes.

Listening to the TV news this morning one person mentioned that the Heinz Dam in the Gold Coast was staring to over flow as it was 1.7 % Full ?
    Later on I heard it was 107% full

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep hearing about massive rainfall totals, but I don't see them on the BoM site. We got 75mm last night as the low passed over us and I see Gladstone got about the same today. Closing schools because of heavy rain would never have happened when I was young enough to be a school kid. It's not like kids are leaving school with an adequate education these days either. Hawthy, if you guys get 500mm of rain TODAY like they've been announcing on radio all day, I'll be bloody amazed. You know Mackay got over 560mm of rain in one day a couple of years ago, and there was no cyclone involved. In fact they got that rain in a few hours. our Premier has been calling this a 1 in 100 year event. That is rubbish.

Here's the Fitzroy river this morning. This is not from the cyclone, but the rain we got over a week ago. The water from TC Debbie will be along under blue shies in about another 7 days.

_I7A9224.jpg
    Last edited by Warbler; 30-03-2017 at 6:20pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up to 112mm. Only another 388mm to go.

The funny thing is, I went to the shops to get some bread for lunch and it was packed with panic shoppers. I got a turkish roll because that was all that was left. No milk. No tomatoes. Bare shelves. and all because of one day of rain.

Oh, and I have stayed in those hotels over the river there. Quite comfortable.
    Last edited by Hawthy; 30-03-2017 at 7:10pm.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still find it amusing that the TV stations flew Kochie & other Sunrise dumbheads into the impact zone just for ratings.
    Every reporter was out in the wind & rain trying to look as dramatic as possible....seriously...?????

And now they can cross to reporters in front of suitably flooded streets in brisvegas and wax lyrical about the huge disaster as Debbie does the whole state ......

Am I cynical if I wonder if tv ratings are more important than human life & the real news these days......
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Northern NSW would be more worrying. Lots of rain in the Northern Rivers District and it's pretty flat and low there. There'll be news helicopters all over it like flies on doggie doo. The standard of media are a real problem in this country. Hope everyone in Lismore is safe.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of flooding further down our way.

We are way down on the total too only 218mm and it stopped raining in the evening.
    A bit of damage to the garden caused by the wind a couple of hours cleaning up that's about it..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just heard that Springbrook on the Gold Coast hinterland had 794 mm of rain, which is pretty massive. Here in Brisbane's western suburbs we got 158 mm according to my weather station.

Lismore is in trouble because the levee bank has been breached.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    Just heard that Springbrook on the Gold Coast hinterland had 794 mm of rain, which is pretty massive. Here in Brisbane's western suburbs we got 158 mm according to my weather station.

Lismore is in trouble because the levee bank has been breached.
    And a lot of that rain that fell at Springbrook is now running into the Tweed River.

Murwillumbah is copping record inundation with 3m of water in parts of town and Lismore is also expecting 3m in the CBD.

Debbie certainly huffed and puffed in N. Qld but she sure saved up some rain for SE Qld and NE NSW.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 4.53.38 am.png
    I heard from my estate agent that the cyclone has had a substantial impact on house pricing. You can buy a 3 bedroom house for $35/litre

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who think that the rainfall in Northern NSW is unprecedented, think again.

https://www.northernstar.com.au/news...rsary/2171595/