Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: NGV Melbourne making it harder for photographers

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NGV Melbourne making it harder for photographers

Just a warning to photogs visiting the National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) Melbourne.

The NGV has NEW bag size restrictions for items that you can take into the gallery. This will affect any photographer who is NOT keen on leaving their expensive gear in a busy cloak room. This is a recent change, I’ve never had a problem before yesterday (with the same bag), and one which is not documented on their web site (http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/about/repo...-public-entry/ ) so I can't tell you what size is actually allowable. However, I was not allowed to bring in a 'Billingham Hadley Large' ( https://www.billingham.co.uk/hadley-large.html ), despite it fitting (reluctantly) into the bag size gauge they have on their cloak desk. My bag is 380mm x 140mm x 310mm and is probably what you would call a medium size bag, probably a bit smaller than a laptop bag, just fatter.

I'm a regular at NGV Melbourne and have been for a long time so am annoyed at this change as it seems pointless and alienating considering it is otherwise quite ‘photographer friendly’. I’ve entered several galleries in just the last few weeks (Canberra Portrait Gallery, National Gallery of Australia, Geelong Art Gallery) with the same bag mentioned above with no problems. Not sure why NGV is making it harder than it needs to be, but consider yourself warned.

Is it ironic that I tried to see a photography exhibit and couldn’t bring in my camera bag? Maybe.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say it does seem overly restrictive. Having said that, I went to the Australian War Memorial Museum and they too had a similar restriction. I had to leave my then Pentax gear in the cloak room very reluctantly! They do have their reasons, and having a reason doesn't make it right, I just agree that I think they are being overly restrictive.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    I must say it does seem overly restrictive. Having said that, I went to the Australian War Memorial Museum and they too had a similar restriction. I had to leave my then Pentax gear in the cloak room very reluctantly! They do have their reasons, and having a reason doesn't make it right, I just agree that I think they are being overly restrictive.
    All libraries are very restrictive too, but that's expected as books are small and probably regularly stolen.

I wonder if an item is small enough to steal from an Art Gallery then is the problem the size of the bags people can bring into the gallery or the way the item is displayed, and therefore its security. On the other hand large bags, backpacks etc. should of course not be brought in, and this is the case pretty much everywhere, but more so because of bumping into people, escalators, lifts, safety etc.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe someone has their knickers in a knot about their security staff : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-0...llegal/8334384
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Maybe someone has their knickers in a knot about their security staff : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-0...llegal/8334384
    Interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    same here! even some places like St Peter cathedral have specific permits to be taken for photography otherwise no photography is allowed (but still people seem to be clicking from photos) but ideally its no photography zone!

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, I have been asked about this once in many years (SWMBO and I have been members for a very long time ... ). Seems that they didn't like my bag being carried by a hand strap! Put it on as a backpack and all OK. Maybe the other way around! It was about ten years ago ... I think it was the other way around on reflection.

These days my three normal bags are only about 9x9x7", 10x9x8" and 6x6x7", depending on which lens/lenses. All have shoulder straps. So they are pretty small.

Up until recently my normal bag was a backpack about 14x12x7" and didn't have any problems with this either. Just had to carry it in my hand.

Many of the regular security people also know me by sight. I suspect this helps too.