Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Samyang 8mm Fisheye for Canon 60D

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samyang 8mm Fisheye for Canon 60D

I am looking to buy a Samyung 8mm Fisheye lens for my Canon 60D. Hubby and I both share his Canon Fisheye but it doesn't give me the full circle fisheye photos that I like. So I have been looking at the fisheyes that are specifically designed for crop senser cameras and have come up with the Samyang.
    My question is for those that have one of these. Are you happy with it? Doesn't matter if it doesn't talk to my camera. I am happy to use it on Manuel.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussirose View Post
    I am looking to buy a Samyung 8mm Fisheye lens for my Canon 60D. Hubby and I both share his Canon Fisheye but it doesn't give me the full circle fisheye photos that I like. So I have been looking at the fisheyes that are specifically designed for crop senser cameras and have come up with the Samyang.

My question is for those that have one of these. Are you happy with it? Doesn't matter if it doesn't talk to my camera. I am happy to use it on Manuel.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
    I do not own a Samyang 8mm Fisheye Lens, but I am still responding to your question because I do think that my comments will be useful to you.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by this phrase (my bold and underlinde): “Hubby and I both share his Canon Fisheye but it doesn't give me the full circle fisheye photos that I like.”

However I think that you might mean this . . . Example:

If you want to create Circular Fisheye Images with the Optical Circular Vignette, such as in the example above, then note well that the Samyang 8mm Fisheye Lens on your 60D will not do that.

Further, it occurs to me that the mentioned “Canon Fisheye” which you share with your Husband, is in fact the EF 8 to 15 F/4 L.

If you want to make fisheye images with a circular vignette (as per the example), then you can achieve that goal by using the 8 to 15 F/4 L on a 135 Format Camera (aka “Full Frame" Camera, such as a 5D or a 6D) and set the Fisheye Zoom Lens to FL = 8mm.

On the other hand, as it seems that you do already own arguably one of the highest quality Fisheye Lenses ever made for an EOS Camera and if you do not want the Optical Vignette, then instead of spending money on another lens, then I suggest you consider buying a 5D Series or 6D Camera.

WW

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comment W. That is the full circular distortion that I am after. And you are right, a 5D will give me that with our current fisheye. Hubby has a 5D however I am happy with my 60D as it is not as heavy and has the added feature of a pull out and rotate screen.
    But thanks anyway

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussirose View Post
    Thanks for your comment W. That is the full circular distortion that I am after. And you are right, a 5D will give me that with our current fisheye. Hubby has a 5D however I am happy with my 60D as it is not as heavy and has the added feature of a pull out and rotate screen.
    But thanks anyway
    If that is what you want, then you need to investigate Circular Fisheye Lenses which are made for APS-C Cameras.

As I already mentioned, the Samyang 8mm Fisheye Lens you are asking about will not give you that type of image.

A Fisheye Lens which will give you that Circular Image is the:

Sigma 4.5mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye

WW