User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7

Thread: bluddy viruses

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

bluddy viruses

Just spent the better part of the afternoon getting rid of a virus.

It reared it's ugly head this morning and where from it came, I am not to sure, but I did lend a USB drive to a friend and they returned it to me yesterday. So I had plugged it into my computer last night.

But this pesky virus hid itself well. Windows Defender, Malware bytes and adwcleaner all saw it, and cleaned in, but as soon as I rebooted it was back. It is call Ads Show. So not really a virus but adware.

In the end I sat with the task manager running and found it when it activated, thus I could find where it was hiding. It was in a hidden folder, in the Appsdata/roaming/temp directory. And it called itself windows.exe so it was hiding away quite well. I manually changed the folder view to show hidden files, got in there and deleted all the temp files. Re-ran malware bytes, and adwcleaner and it its gone.

First time I have had a repeating issue that malware bytes could not permanently kill.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A couple of times I've had this adware thing happen some time ago.
    The program that picked up the problem and thus helped fix was the free version of this ..... http://www.superantispyware.com/
    While I have and use what Rick has, I've found what's linked to be better.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use all three. You need ALL THREE. -- Make that FOUR, when I find another.

Rick. I had a similar ad-ware creepy about a year ago. I remember the behaviour,
    and the tucked-away folder. Did the same thing.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear your successful use of Malware bytes. With those skills, I wish you lived near me.
    cheers marty.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martycon View Post
    Glad to hear your successful use of Malware bytes. With those skills, I wish you lived near me.
    cheers marty.
    Here's a skill where Rick doesn't have to move:

Use each of SuperaAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes to do a scan approx 1nce a day (depending on your disposition to viruses).
    Run them as they can be: as independent, on-call programs, so DO NOT switch on all their features that will interfere with
    whatever security suite you have running in the BG. I have (somehow) got SuperAS as a right-click context menu item, along
    with Win Defender, so I can use either one (but usually both) to check all downloaded files, for instance.

Occasionally, when you run them, they will want to update the virus definitions, and sometimes update the product.
    Unless you buy the product, you do not have to pay a cent for any of these updates. As a BONUS, each one of them
    gives you (about) a month of free full-version trial. Use it, but again, do not activate all the features that will interfere
    with your main suite.