User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: LR & PS Book and/or resource

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LR & PS Book and/or resource

I subscribe to the Adobe CC where I get both Lightroom and Photoshop. I am now relatively familiar with LR (after a few years) but it is time that I took the massive 'leap' towards incorporating PS into my workflow. I am aware that there are numerous very good books on the market e.g. Scott Kelby's that cover either LR or PS. I am also (now) aware that ACR is very similar to LR. Nonetheless, I would like to be able to use LR as my cataloging and primary post-processing program, and only go to PS for things that I am not able to do in LR e.g. replace a dull sky with a blue sky in the background or add a texture effect. I would be grateful if anybody could recommend a good book or resource that covers the use of LR AND PS together.. PS I am an amateur and, at this point a beginner so I do not need tonnes of detail on PS
    Last edited by Physioz; 22-02-2017 at 4:08pm. Reason: left something out

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LR & PS Book and/or resource

I subscribe to the Adobe CC where I get both Lightroom and Photoshop. I am now relatively familiar with LR (after a few years) but it is time that I took the massive 'leap' towards incorporating PS into my workflow. I am aware that there are numerous very good books on the market e.g. Scott Kelby's that cover either LR or PS. I am also (now) aware that ACR is very similar to LR. Nonetheless, I would like to be able to use LR as my cataloging and primary post-processing program, and only go to PS for things that I am not able to do in LR e.g. replace a dull sky with a blue sky in the background or add a texture effect. I would be grateful if anybody could recommend a good book or resource that covers the use of LR AND PS together..

- - - Updated - - -

Apoplogies: my browser 'bombed out' and I have accidentally posted this twice

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're familiar with LR...try this site for everything PS. Plenty of free learning to be had, with a little LR on the side.
    Most of the earlier tutorials deal with/use CS6, but still can be translated up to CC.

Cheers -
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion would be to use the internet as your book. It sounds like you know enough of the relevant terms to do effective searches for what you're trying to find out, so I would look at resources like Phlearn, Julieanne Kost. They have so many video tutorials on everything from the basics to very advanced techniques that you should find everything you need. There are others but those two are my favourites. Julieanne starts nice and basic.
    Because of the wealth of info out there on the interwebs I'm afraid I can't recommend a book. The other disadvantange with a book is that it goes out of date as the programs are updated.

On the subject of workflow. Everyone has a different way of doing things that works for them, within some common boundaries. It's worth seeing how a few people do things and then working out what mix of them will work for you, incorporating all the lightbulb moments that you gather on the way.

Finally, you mentioned sky replacement so I thought I'd say that Aaron Dowling's Luminosity Masks Panel is excellent for both this and pretty much any editing you could want to do in PS. There are plenty of instructional videos and even a facebook group that Aaron regularly helps people out on. It may be one to think about as you get more advanced. Maybe check a few of his free vids out to see if it's something you could use.

Edit - beaten like a red headed step child by @Gazza on the Phlearn link. Must make my replies shorter
    Last edited by Hamster; 22-02-2017 at 4:31pm.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try clicking this triangle thingy and a helpful Mod will come and fix...cheers

Screenshot-(16).jpg

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deleted MERGED other same thread (instead). Thanks for your advice there to OP, Gazza...

Now to reply to your post, Phyz...
    [Alt approach]
    Consider your approach. What did you learn about LR? What ideas about image editing, file handling, etc...?

Also, about how LR "works", with its menu's functions, etc?

Since they're both fro the same "crowd" there may be lots of common approaches to doing things.
    I'd say, find out what one does that the other does not/is better/worse at...

Just what do you hope to get out of >>such<< a book? What about the resource of AP knowledge? (But don't look at me
    for LR. PS is OK.)
    [/Alt approach]
    Last edited by ameerat42; 22-02-2017 at 5:01pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Hamster, Gazza and Ameerat42 for hose ideas. I think I'll start with Hamster's suggestion of Julieanne because "..she starts nice and basic"; which suits me perfectly.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are like me, you are a visual learner. Watch and learn. Others are more read it, understand it and try it.

So for visual learners.. video works best. So where better than youtube? There are literally thousands of videos that teach you photoshop and lightroom. Right from going through the menus and describing how to open an image, to multilayer, gradient edits.

For example. go to youtube and type in 'how do I create a vignette in photoshop' and voila.. heaps of videos.

Books can be great, and the afformentioned Scott Kelby has some good ones available, but for me..youtube.. and its free.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post

For example. go to youtube and type in 'how do I create a vignette in photoshop' and voila.. heaps of videos.
    I'd be inclined to ask "when should I create a vignette in my photo?"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    when you want to blur out the crappy background in a bird photo.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Here, perhaps, but not on Google! Could you imagine?!!!

Anyway, my reply would be: "Whenever you like" If it doesn't suit, somebody will say in CC - ie, No-No.

- - - Updated - - -

Woe is me
    I tried it as a joke and actually got...
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=w...N8LN8ger26jQCw

It appears the "nanny state" extends to creativity

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It just doesn't work when I try to be serious.

- - - Updated - - -

It just doesn't work when I try to be serious.