Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Post Processing colour on photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Processing colour on photos

Hi

I need help but not sure what the issue is, so posting here. When I edit and save as jpeg I end up with a red scratchy type of colouring. If you look on the arm of the model here will give you an idea of what I mean and the face and neck of the young woman with the flowers in the colourful photo. I do use editing software in my editing so don't know if that's the issue.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.facebook.com/ChrissyBrownPhotography
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/midgygar/R6un7s

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris. I'll have to ask for some detail, but first...
    The "arm of the model" looks a bit "noisy" possibly because of
    "aggressive" conversion to jpeg. It is rather dimly illuminated, in
    keeping with the low-key look of the subject, and I reckon in that
    area the conversion faltered. It is quite expected.

For the face and neck of the girl in the 1st pic, I cannot make out
    any discoloration. I used the HUe/Satuartion function in Photoshop
    and bucked up the REDS to see a bit of "blotchiness".

Now to the required info: can you describe your settings for each step
    of the conversion and also the resizing for posting here.

Ta.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Chris. I'll have to ask for some detail, but first...
    The "arm of the model" looks a bit "noisy" possibly because of
    "aggressive" conversion to jpeg. It is rather dimly illuminated, in
    keeping with the low-key look of the subject, and I reckon in that
    area the conversion faltered. It is quite expected.

For the face and neck of the girl in the 1st pic, I cannot make out
    any discoloration. I used the HUe/Satuartion function in Photoshop
    and bucked up the REDS to see a bit of "blotchiness".

Now to the required info: can you describe your settings for each step
    of the conversion and also the resizing for posting here.

Ta.
    Thank you ameerat42. I reduced the sizes to 1000x1200 I think it was, to be able to upload. For the Gothic shoot the original size is 3482x4016pixels and resolution 240. The floral image is 2823x4016pixels 240 resolution. I've uploaded a screen shot of the original for the goth and it's ok as seen below. I don't kept the pdf file in photoshop once I convert to jpeg, but I do recall using a gradient for the bottom part of the photo, I use topaz clarity, I also lessen the hue saturation of reds as that's where I usually end up with the problem. i'm absolutely sure when I originally saved it, always fine as with the floral one and I know this sounds stupid, but next day I'll look at it and all of a sudden I notice that blotchiness. I wonder sometimes whether it is just my screen, or need stronger glasses, seriously, because I just don't pick it up when I check it over after I've saved. As it happens a lot, I'm always conscious of it. The floral one I would have did a similar thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, at some point in a future new shot, take a screen shot of your "best looking version" in
    the raw converter. Save that as a jpeg, making sure you use the same color space as you
    final "finished" shot. That the second looks "blotchy", compare it with the saved screenshot,
    side-by-side in Photoshop, say.

If you don't know how to do this, it's just...
    1. When at you last best looking version, capture the screen. (I don't know how in Mac.)
    2. In Photoshop, New File from Clipboard (or Mac equivalent).
    3. Save in same color space as usual and name it "screeenshot".
    4. Then proceed to do the normal version as usual.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris, I assume you're talking about this pixilated area?

I've been having a similar problem after using the gradient tool on masks or excessive background blurring (gaussian Blur), and up till now thought it was something to do with my graphic processor. Going to be interesting to see an outcome, might save me a few bucks
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    OK, at some point in a future new shot, take a screen shot of your "best looking version" in
    the raw converter. Save that as a jpeg, making sure you use the same color space as you
    final "finished" shot. That the second looks "blotchy", compare it with the saved screenshot,
    side-by-side in Photoshop, say.

If you don't know how to do this, it's just...
    1. When at you last best looking version, capture the screen. (I don't know how in Mac.)
    2. In Photoshop, New File from Clipboard (or Mac equivalent).
    3. Save in same color space as usual and name it "screeenshot".
    4. Then proceed to do the normal version as usual.
    Yeah I did change my colour space etc, from prophoto to srgb but need to learn about this more. I just can't understand because these ones had the blotchiness but not the others, yet they went through similar process Strange and frustrating!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Hi Chris, I assume you're talking about this pixilated area?
    https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-.../i-K3Lrc7r.jpg
    I've been having a similar problem after using the gradient tool on masks or excessive background blurring (gaussian Blur), and up till now thought it was something to do with my graphic processor. Going to be interesting to see an outcome, might save me a few bucks
    Hi Gazza, yeah that bit. I don't blur in photoshop coz I get it in the camera with my settings. And I've only recently started using the gradient, however, the presets I use I have noticed it in some of them. If I find a solution, I'll contact Adobe and see if I get answers there, then I will post back in here But like I was saying, just don't know what the issue is to do a google search.

I like my computer more than my camera farmmax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is not in the original file, but is after editing, I'd be looking at my editing.

If using Clarity, the job of the filter to to bring detail out in images which may be soft, blurred or hazy. I sometimes see that blotchy effect when trying to bring out detail where there is dust / mist / fog in particular. Is it Clarity which is causing this? Different presets have different results. Have you tried the portrait presets in Clarity to see if that stops the blotches appearing on skin?

In your psd file, create a copy of the original image on a new layer. Apply Clarity to the new layer. Then by turning the eye on and off on the clarity layer, you will easily be able to compare the changes between the original and the edited image. That will let you know if Clarity is responsible. Do the same for every step in editing your image. Put each new effect on a new layer. That way you may be able to pick up what editing is causing the effect.

It is not just clarity which can cause this effect. Many filters designed to bring out detail in images will do the same. The answer is to mask out the areas you don't wanted extra detail bought out in. The masking can usually be done in the filtering software, or otherwise with a layer mask on the edited layer in Photoshop.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi farmmax, yeah I've been playing around with it today and it's definitely the editing plug-ins. Only when I save psd to jpeg. The tif image was fine and then I tried saving from tif to jpeg but that jpeg is a stubborn one. I have to learn more about masking in filter. I tried masking PS but didn't work. I did use the NIK Collection too, just to see if it was limited to topaz and this had the same problem

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reckon you missed the focus on the eyes in the first because of f/2.8. See how a small part of the flower is in focus, not what needs to be in focus. Your camera can deal with a higher ISO to get more DOF.
    I quite like the second photo. While it's not the main problem here downsizing for uploading to AP and posting that way will highlight a problem like that arm. Some will say not, but it happens.
    So maybe consider linking you photos to AP via something like flickr. You can upload a larger file size to by linking from flickr.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.