Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Telephoto for birds

Moember formerly known as : Ghostbat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telephoto for birds

I have a Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM II. Would this be suitable for birds, especially Raptors or will I also need a Canon EF Extender 2x III

Regards

GB
    PHOTOS!!!!!! or it didn't happen

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be fine. In all honesty an extender doesn't do much more than a crop does PP. What it does do is let you get a better look at the subject in camera. Given you are after Raptors, which are relatively large birds, you should have no trouble at all. I would hazard a guess that the large majority of "birders" start out with a 400mm lens and produce some great images. Many stick with them forever.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are two opinions...
    1. Yes, it is "enough" for "many" bird shots. See posts older than about 6 months ago by
    Mark L (go to Birds forum) to see his stuff with that lens.
    2. You will probably NOT use that 2x converter too often, so I'd say that you don't "need" it.
    (Yes, you might be able to use it sometimes, but...) In addition, it cost$ a good bit, interrupts
    the optical train with possible reduction of IQ...
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet. thanks guys. Will have a look see at the info

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else to consider with that 2X extender, you'll lose AF...that would a pain in the butt trying to track B'sIF.
    (I believe still works with the 1.4III?)
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhh bugger that.....I like my AF

GB

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you consider it, a lot of cameras will allow up to 2x enlargement of images.
    Most of the time for posting you need to shrink them anyway. I have a 2X that I got
    to "augment" the 50-500. Most of the time it augments the shelf, not even the
    camera bag any more. Certainly, the loss of AF is the major factor, as it slows down
    focusing and often misses it, but I have found that I rarely needed the extra mag.

Perhaps just use that lens and save the dough towards a longer on in the future

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point....hmmm longer lens or the flashy new 5D MIV

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GB, that's a fine lens you have. Stick with it for birds ATM while you learn the craft. Having said that the extra 200mm on my Sigma 150-600 has proved handy. the extra reach takes some getting used to. If you happen to be up Mudgee way let me know. We can swap lens's and go birding.
    I would think the 1.4 extender might be useful if you go with the flashy new 5D MIV.
    Many bird photogs prefer the crop sensor cameras because they get you closer to the subject. I'm about to start searching for the best price on an 80D for this reason. The FF cameras perform better at higher ISO though.

Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Here are two opinions...
    1. Yes, it is "enough" for "many" bird shots. See posts older than about 6 months ago by
    Mark L (go to Birds forum) to see his stuff with that lens.
    Any of my photos taken before July last year were taken with the Sigma 120-400. My threads will show what you can do with 400mms and your lens will allow you to crop closer than I could with that Sigma. Your Canon is a superior lens.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.