Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the Professional Photographer becoming extinct

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post

Before we can decide if professional photography is becoming extinct, we have to decide and define what a professional photographer is.
    ?
    http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht.../NAT/ATO/00001
    ?
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that depends on whether the ATO is the final arbiter on language. Perhaps they just define tax.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Perhaps we also need to ask what everyone considers a professional photographer to be?

- Is it someone who is very good at photography?
    - Is it .....
    I think this is an interesting point.
    I reckon you can be professional simply be doing something "very good".
    I've never made a dollar from my photos but one will be in the local paper tomorrow (happy to promote a clean up day at the local wetlands).
    As Steve mentioned our definition may be dependent on language.
    I think this may make me semi-profession .... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...med-Honeyeater

But that's only because of the camera I'm using.
    Last edited by Mark L; 16-02-2017 at 9:44pm.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    I guess that depends on whether the ATO is the final arbiter on language. Perhaps they just define tax.
    Or maybe we should let security guards decide. In this case a pro is anyone with a tripod and/or an impressive looking camera. :-)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps we also need to ask what everyone considers a professional photographer to be?

Before we can decide if professional photography is becoming extinct, we have to decide and define what a professional photographer is.

For clarity, my response was not about answering the question as it was posed in the thread header, (“Is the Professional Photographer becoming extinct”)

My responses were addressing the questions and implications of the OP’s text, specifically (my bold for emphasis):

“In reality I need a retirement job to ensure my super lasts me and having worked in IT for the last 24 yrs, the only other skill I have is photography and close to turning 60 once I leave my current role there is no IT opportunities at my age "We are called the un-employable"”

In that context, I considered that the OP used “professional photographer” to mean "having an adequate business to sustain a viable income".

In the absence of the OP providing details of his financial position, I gave example of a business as a Sole Trader turning over up to $75,000, which is probably in the ballpark of a viable income to be supplementary to a mean Superannuation, taken as a Life Pension.

I think that “Professional” is used to mean many things, but in this case, I think that the OP meant “making money - and not just pocket money”.

On the broader and general question of “Is the Professional Photographer becoming extinct” - and if asked without any specific contextual premise; I would define "Professional Photographer" as "making an income from Photography" - that income could be a secondary income, but not "a hundred dollars here and there".

WW

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx William - I certainly wont need to earn a full income in retirement, but to have the luxuries we enjoy before retirement after retirement I will need some propping up if my super is to last me. When I say luxuries, I mean items like camera gear, a few trips away each yr, I expect I wil need to replace the car at least once etc. I may be a skeptic in some peoples views but I do expect a very long retirement :-)

The other side of the coin I didnt reflect on was the need to do something of self worth after retirement - Do I really want to leave the workforce and all that comes with it, not really. Do I want to continue to work my @rse off in a job (albeit well paying) and one I am loosing the passion for - NO. Do I want to pursue something I enjoy doing, be able to manage it to a level to maintain a healthy retirement work / life balance, with a possibility of luxury disposable income - absolutely.
    Apologies if my post reflects a dire straits situation where without additional income, in 5 yrs of retirement I will be on the side of the road starving - that wasnt my intention nor is it accurate.

What I will say is I have enjoyed this thread discussion - I find the topic quite interesting and in some way surprising :-)

Oh, I am no scholar either and apparently my written expression is not my strong point - LOL hahaha
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    . . . The other side of the coin I didnt reflect on was the need to do something of self worth after retirement - Do I really want to leave the workforce and all that comes with it, not really
    A critical element for longevity, happiness, healthy life and general fulfillment. I have several examples of friends, colleagues and also family who pictured 'retirement' as the ultimate goal only to find that without a daily cause and challenge they were bored - or worse.

WW

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    O-hhh! As they say, "Yassoun get youstuit".
    CC, Image editing OK.

The Commander
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha ;-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123