As someone close to retirement and planning to make some pocket money as a part time photog moving into retirement - it has been in the back of my mind the question of is there still a role for a pro photographer. Everyone has a camera at hand these days and albeit the web, FB, instagram, snapchat and the like are filled with phone photos I still see a future in photography as an income earner (Well IMHO anyways).

In the search for the holy grail with the answer I came across a session by Tony Northrup on this very subject. An interesting session to watch and although it appears, statistically to show a decline in some genre of photography, there is area's of photography that still hold up hope.

Aaron Nace of PHLearn is of the opinion that to survive in todays world you must develop serious editing skills and apply them to manipulate the images to that of the appetite of the market - on this I strongly agree. So then I ask myself, you do not have artistic skills so how do you fit the mold. In another recorded session by a photog who I cannot remember was this very topic also and it is of his believe that the art of photography and editing can be learned without the basis of artistic skills as photography within itself is a leaned skill and not gifted. I am on the fence with this one and will let you know in about 6 yrs time if this is the case :-)

For those interested - here is the link to Tony's session on his assessment - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQQDysiedRA

SO - What is the thoughts among the AP group of photographers - I have followed a couple of journeys of some photogs who started on AP as enthusiasts and moved on to career photogs. I am sure there are others on here working as a FT photog that see the real direction the photographer market is taking.

All comments on this subject are most welcome :-)