Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great (?) Wall of America.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Great (?) Wall of America.

Just saw on the news that Comb-over Don is going ahead with his plans to erect a wall along the USA-Mexico border.

I can understand his desire to increase border security, but sheesh, a $US10 Billion wall. Hasn't he heard of ladders and shovels?

He has indicated that Mexico will pay for it via a 20% tax on Mexican imports. I don't know who his economic advisers are but that import tax will surely be passed on to the consumers, the American public.

American politics has always been an even bigger circus than our own, but their new Ringmaster seriously concerns me.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    , and other dementias.

Ie: A multi-demential person
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    and IMO the reason he got up and won the two horse race.. most people are fed up with politics as its presents itself right now. They are fed up with seeing politicians helping out multi-national companies and their own business mates, to the detriment of the people who are paying the taxes.

Just as we saw micro and mini parties get senators etc. Everyone is fed up with the political machine. Donald offered something different, the voters grabbed onto it.

He is an interesting character and it is going to be amusing watching him play his game over the next four years. I praise his ripping up the TPP though..best thing he did so far.
    Last edited by ricktas; 02-02-2017 at 7:24am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon they only think they're fed up. Probably knew nothing to start with, got told what to think, and hey presto...

The same happens here to a certain extent. I hope we don't become as "wise" as we see people elsewhere.

Certainly, there's no Advanced Sociology on display there, - just reactionism.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    They are fed up with seeing politicians helping out multi-national companies and their own business mates, to the detriment of the people who are paying the taxes.
    So they elect the head of a multi-national company who installs his business mates as heads of government departments and is committed to huge decreases in company tax.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    So they elect the head of a multi-national company who installs his business mates as heads of government departments and is committed to huge decreases in company tax.
    cause they listened to his 'jobs for Americans' 'we will make America great again' and those claims rang true with so many...

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could help unemployment.

The border is 3.200 Klms long and would require constant surveillance against climbers and burrowers. So one guard, say every 100m, three shifts per day equates to 96,000 shifts daily so lots of new jobs. 'Onya Donald.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be a great wall so he'll probably bring in the Chinese, they've got experience in building walls, they build great walls, really great walls.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Just saw on the news that Comb-over Don is going ahead with his plans to erect a wall along the USA-Mexico border.

I can understand his desire to increase border security, but sheesh, a $US10 Billion wall. Hasn't he heard of ladders and shovels?

He has indicated that Mexico will pay for it via a 20% tax on Mexican imports. I don't know who his economic advisers are but that import tax will surely be passed on to the consumers, the American public.

American politics has always been an even bigger circus than our own, but their new Ringmaster seriously concerns me.
    Not to mention that the two economies are so closely interrconnected that many Mexican imports are actually ultimately American exports. If he's serious about that tariff it will likely damage both countries.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I've heard a rumour that Pauline will surround Australia with a moat if she becomes Prime minister.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blkmcs View Post
    It's going to be a great wall so he'll probably bring in the Chinese, they've got experience in building walls, they build great walls, really great walls.
    Perhaps he is going to build it out of these : http://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/

Click here to see the great wall in all its glory.
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-01-2017 at 8:52am.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps he is going to build it out of these : http://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/

Now that's a great idea and could provide a great boost for the great US car industry, just turning out great car shells to pile up along the border.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could be onto something there Rick.

There were probably enough of them recalled for safety issues do the job.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good .... so just look on the bright side. Think of all the joy he's going to bring to satirists and comedians around the world! Plus all the new vocabulary. It's not just political prisoners he's going to torture - it's the English language!

As for the wall ..... it's all a matter of perspective. You might see it as a wall to keep Mexicans out ...... I see it as a wall to keep Americans in !!!

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, Bob! I forgot. How shellfish of me. Typical oyster-alien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon the secret agenda is that he's preparing for WW3 - that's what all the predictions say about 2017 and Donald Trump lol
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a trump fan, but I'm not a Clinton fan either. It's like choosing between root canal and castration. The one bit of credit I'll give him is:

a) he's doing exactly what he said he would do
    b) he's doing it quickly

both of the above is more than I could say for 95% of politicians in Australia and the US.

As an example, when Jill Meagre died the Victorian government promised to change the bail laws. Nothing happened despite the promises and despite the recommendations coming out in August last year. In January 5 people including a 3 month old died as a result of their negligence and I put the blame square on their heads. This is not Libs, not Labour, this is all of them, and it's a fair reflection of why the public has lost all confidence in them. The reality is they get there, do the bare minimum, of course they'll take advantage of every bit of international travel with their families that they can and they always find time for that. It would not surprise me if we find Pauline Hanson gaining in popularity for the same reason trump did. People will get tired of seeing lots of promises and no change, so eventually, even bad change will seem palatable because at least it's change, and then they will wonder how she got there, blame the people for the way they voted, instead of looking at themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post

I just recently watched a documentary on the Mexican Cartel and the various ways they have of infiltrating the borders, very interesting too.
    However one way was thru a tunnel network that ranged anywhere from 10 meters deep to 100 meters deep and was over 25 kilometres in length, with railway tracks for transport.
    If memory serves me correct the American gov spent over $1millon just to dig up and fill with concrete only portions of the network.......which left more than 90% in tact. And on top of that they said it was only one
    of many that exist.
    So I guess my question would be......"How deep are the foundations going to be and will he be able to finish within his allotted term?"

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I'm not a trump fan, but I'm not a Clinton fan either. It's like choosing between root canal and castration. The one bit of credit I'll give him is:

a) he's doing exactly what he said he would do
    b) he's doing it quickly

both of the above is more than I could say for 95% of politicians in Australia and the US.

As an example, when Jill Meagre died the Victorian government promised to change the bail laws. Nothing happened despite the promises and despite the recommendations coming out in August last year. In January 5 people including a 3 month old died as a result of their negligence and I put the blame square on their heads. This is not Libs, not Labour, this is all of them, and it's a fair reflection of why the public has lost all confidence in them. The reality is they get there, do the bare minimum, of course they'll take advantage of every bit of international travel with their families that they can and they always find time for that. It would not surprise me if we find Pauline Hanson gaining in popularity for the same reason trump did. People will get tired of seeing lots of promises and no change, so eventually, even bad change will seem palatable because at least it's change, and then they will wonder how she got there, blame the people for the way they voted, instead of looking at themselves.
    Yes, but "credit"? He told us he was going to run amok, and he's doing it quick smart... - Er, quick, at least. But how
    creditable is that?

I guess that's part of what makes us still a lucky country - not running amok quickly. Yes, there's PH, but she's still rather a
    bleat in the wilderness.

Just heard on the news that a US Fed judge has put some sort of stay on DT's "executive order". No details about that, but at least
    let's hope that he doesn't try to hobble the judiciary there. I reckon there'll be great disaffection from many of his present supporters
    if he does, but the lunatic fringe hard liners there a numerous.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I'm not a trump fan, but I'm not a Clinton fan either. It's like choosing between root canal and castration.
    How many more wonderful children before your dear lady suggest that second option??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast