Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error message F-- Lens not attached

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Error message F-- Lens not attached

Error message F-- Lens not attached.. I have been getting this message on and off. Only with the Sigma 50-500. Any clues. Yes, the lens clicks into place.
    I have been taking photos for 50 years. I am now trying to get into Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you visually checked/cleaned with isopropyl alcohol the contacts on the lens and camera - separately, to see if
    either action resolves the problem?

That's just the first step.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the lens fully compatible with your camera? Is your aperture ring locked?
    Last edited by Hawthy; 04-01-2017 at 9:50pm.
    Andrew

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hawthy. TG has been using this lens for yonks (presumably still) on the same camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh. I see. In that case one of the contacts may be dirty or stuck, as you suggest. Give it a tub, TG.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Have you visually checked/cleaned with isopropyl alcohol the contacts on the lens and camera - separately, to see if
    either action resolves the problem?

That's just the first step.
    Thanks....I have just given it a clean. now to wait and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, and another thing, TG. Doing a search on your very title of this thread leads to a heap of
    instances of this problem.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    OK, and another thing, TG. Doing a search on your very title of this thread leads to a heap of
    instances of this problem.

I did a Google search. Heaps! but no answers.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PLenty of anwswers, it's just whether they fix it...
    From http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=158
    there's this pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/husker...7623395271967/

Ausphotography Regular richardb's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info. I know some one with this problem

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    Is your aperture ring locked?
    This is worth researching.
    AM suggested cleaning contacts with isopropyl alcohol. I'll suggest a cruder method. Clean contacts on the lens and camera with a rubber.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawthy View Post
    Hawthy...I don't appear to have those exact fitting on my Sigma. There is this fitting on my two Nikons. I will keep on searching

- - - Updated - - -

I just pushed the ? on my menu while the F-- was flashing and I received this message...."Check lenses. Non-CPU lenses can be used in manual mode only"

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you moved the aperture ring?

Can't remember what camera you have, but some don't like the aperture ring moved off the smallest setting(largest numerical value).

So, if your lens has an aperture ring, and it's largest number is something like 22, set the lens to f/22.

Note tho that some lenses have a step beyond the largest number which is where the camera's AE system prefers it.
    These lenses are rare, and I doubt the Siggy has this system.

Also, if it has a locking system for this aperture value, it's best to use it too.
    Again some lenses do, and other lenses don't have this aperture lock system.

Just giving you all the possible things to check. I don't have much experience of the Sigma 50-500, and I know the earlier models had an aperture ring, but the later models don't .. and my one and only experience with this lens(bloody large and heavy) is a few minutes about 10 years ago!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah.
    Another way to clean the contact is to use a clean pencil eraser with a clean cut edge.
    Very lightly too tho.
    Don't hold the camera or lens with the opening facing skywards too. if any rubber material does fall off, you don't want it in the camera or lens.
    Usually you do this with the camera or lens on a flat surface(eg. table) angled slightly downwards so that if any rubbery stuff does separate it falls safely onto the flat surface.

I've done this eraser method too, safe to do. Had a problem with my Siggy 10-20 what seems like a million years ago now, and I remember it fixed it up well

If you don't like to use an eraser due to the falling rubber issue(which isn't really!) and prefer a cleaner type method, I'd suggest if you have to get something(anything) then instead of alcohol, get a can of contact cleaner instead.
    These aren't hard to get and are ideal for cleaning electronic contacts(as the name implies).
    I use a small squirt on a cotton bud(the type on the end of a stick!) and just lightly brush the contacts with that(ie. don't spray them directly of course).

ps. do your other lenses work ok?
    Reason is ... deductive reasoning: if they all work fine, then there's a 99.9% chance that if you still have intermittent issues with the 50-500, then the contacts on that lens are the issue.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem: F-- lens not attached.

Solution: Attach F-- lens.

You're welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The locking pin can be crucial in these situations. If it can't make it fully home in the locating hole, does it prevent use or show error? I have found that not only the pin can have minute burs on it, bit so can the locating hole & both needs to be totally clear for best operation. I would use a pointed scalpel blade or jewellers screw driver to clean out the locating hole, however, whatever method is used the pin should not catch at all.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 12 (& Olympus Workspace).

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is the equipment. I noticed what could have been a small bur, I could not feel it, but could see it on the photo, I used a scalpel to try and remove it ( the lens was not working any way ). I removed the upper bur ( see photo ) and then the lower one. The bur could have moved inside so I tried to clear that. Looks a bit messy. The locating lug sounds like it makes it home, but the lens is still not working.

DSC_2573a.JPGDSC_2564a.JPG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it was an idea. I do know that if the lens release button is pressed on an Olympus body it disables aperture settings etc & blanks out the display (Live View) & if it doesn't lock properly with the pin returning to 'home' fully it can sometimes cause issues. It would seem something else is going on in your situation.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! no aperture ring .. so like you say, lens won't work at all.
    If the lens had an aperture ring, you could still use it in Manual mode even if the F-- error showed up.

So now, you're two options are:

clean the contacts on the lens; if you haven an eraser try this at your earliest convenience. you don't need any pressure! You're not erasing anything. You just lightly rub it across the contacts. There could be a small amount of (usually)greenish or brownish buildup on the contacts and the electrical connection is 'just not good enough'. The eraser method is just to remove enough of that build up to get a connection
    If you prefer not to use an eraser, and prefer a cleaner type method, it's basically the same thing, only more thorough in it's cleaning ability.

Sigma have a tendency to use whatever dark looking material it is that they use on their contacts. Almost all other manufacturers appear to use gold plating, as they look like a proper shiny gold colour and sheen to them.
    Sigma(from what I've seen) are different!

Failing any success with cleaning the contacts your other options would be 1/. to take lens to Sigma(I think CRKennedy has moved to Port Melbourne now) and they'll fix it for 'ya.
    Or 2/. try opening it yourself and checking the condition of the CPU ribbon. It's really about all you can do yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Ah! no aperture ring .. so like you say, lens won't work at all.
    If the lens had an aperture ring, you could still use it in Manual mode even if the F-- error showed up.

So now, you're two options are:

clean the contacts on the lens; if you haven an eraser try this at your earliest convenience. you don't need any pressure! You're not erasing anything. You just lightly rub it across the contacts. There could be a small amount of (usually)greenish or brownish buildup on the contacts and the electrical connection is 'just not good enough'. The eraser method is just to remove enough of that build up to get a connection
    If you prefer not to use an eraser, and prefer a cleaner type method, it's basically the same thing, only more thorough in it's cleaning ability.

Sigma have a tendency to use whatever dark looking material it is that they use on their contacts. Almost all other manufacturers appear to use gold plating, as they look like a proper shiny gold colour and sheen to them.
    Sigma(from what I've seen) are different!

Failing any success with cleaning the contacts your other options would be 1/. to take lens to Sigma(I think CRKennedy has moved to Port Melbourne now) and they'll fix it for 'ya.
    Or 2/. try opening it yourself and checking the condition of the CPU ribbon. It's really about all you can do yourself.
    I might add, that the eraser is the soft rubber type & is very effective in removing that 'tarnish' appearance on the contacts. I don't know how that ribbon cable is connected internally but if it is a push fit into a connector (sometimes using an extra clamping lock mechanism in some uses), but a reseat of that cable might be necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast