User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Urgent help with odd timelapse issue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Urgent help with odd timelapse issue

I've started testing timelapse with my Nikon D3300. All the tests so far have the same issue.
    At a random interval a frame will "jump up" a few mm. VR is off on the lens and the camera is NOT moving but ramdom frames do.
    I've attached 2 resized images to demonstrate.

This is driving me bonkers. Please does anyone have an idea what might be happening to cause this.

Dead centre- bottom is a white plastic jar with lid. Check the label of the jar in both images to see what I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deathrox; 02-01-2017 at 7:39pm.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    when you say random. is it. What are the file numbers? it could be worth checking if there is an actual sequence to these 'random' events. Also how quickly are you taking these photos? Is the camera starting to buffer the files as it writes them to the card? Does it happen no matter where you are? Are you using Mirror lock-up, as mirror slap could cause movement. Are these photos the only ones you have done or have you done some outside? The reason I ask is that it could be something as simple as a loose floorboard being walked on, etc. We need to know a lot more about this before we can assist.
    Last edited by ricktas; 03-01-2017 at 11:40am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, if the frame moves, then the camera has physically moved. It is possibly the biggest problem with timelapse as it only takes a very small camera movement to move the frame. The tripod is often the culprit as many tripods can shift by small amounts quite easily. If you don't touch the camera at all, then, if it is a good tripod, it should work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm with the above posters. Possibly mirror slap. I'd try all this on a super-tight tripod, ie, retract the legs as much as possible, make sure shaft isn't wound out and then possibly even weight it and then try again. If it's STILL jumping then a different tactic is needed...but I'd be keen to know if that eliminates it.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately random. The last test was done inside to eliminate possible movement by wind. The movemnet is only virtical so I was wondering if mirror slap could cause it.
    The camera has a setting to lock the mirror up for cleaning, but I can't find one for shooting pictures.
    I'll check into it more. Nikon D3300. Thanks to all who have replied so far. Once I find the culprit I'll post back here. More thoughts are most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    when you say random. is it. What are the file numbers? it could be worth checking if there is an actual sequence to these 'random' events. Also how quickly are you taking these photos? Is the camera starting to buffer the files as it writes them to the card? Does it happen no matter where you are? Are you using Mirror lock-up, as mirror slap could cause movement. Are these photos the only ones you have done or have you done some outside? The reason I ask is that it could be something as simple as a loose floorboard being walked on, etc. We need to know a lot more about this before we can assist.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think mirror slap is the first thing you need to play with and try and rule out as I'd think it's the most likely problem.
    Seems the D3300 only has mirror lock up for cleaning, not for taking photos. So maybe try live view and a faster shutter speed. The other suggestion I found was try using silent shutter mode as this slows the sets the camera uses to take the photo. Slightly longer time between the mirror moving and the photo being take.
    Make sure that tripod just can move.
    Last edited by Mark L; 04-01-2017 at 8:34pm.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is the shutter being activated? Are you using a timelaps function where the shutter is triggered automatically without you touching the camera? or are you triggering the shutter by pressing the button on the camera?
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixed it.

I'm using an intervalometre. Looks like it was mirror slap. Strangly live view helped, I say strange because on the D3300 in live view when a picture is taken the mirror is released back down and then the picture is taken as normal with the mirror coming back up to expose the sensor. Technically it should have made it worse as there is an extra mirror movement. Anyway I've eliminated the issue.
    Thanks everyone for the help.
    PS: In live view the battery was being consumed very fast, I've found the settings to turn off the preview screen and have recorded several hours of photo's @ 1 frame every 3 seconds.
    http://www.henrywho.xyz if you want to check out some of my work. The Fuji is a little $69 14 Megapixel pocket camera with 3x optical zoom that I take in the top pocket of my work shirt when on the bike or in the 4wd, most of the pictures are quite hurried.
    Last edited by deathrox; 27-02-2017 at 1:41pm. Reason: Additional info.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear, Dx.
    CC, Image editing OK.