User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Flash head no external battery?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash head no external battery?

I was watching a wedding photographer shooting on location the other day and noticed that he was using a flash head that didn't appear to be connected to any external battery.

Does such a thing exist or was I just seeing things?
    Last edited by Gavvvvvin; 02-01-2017 at 10:15am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of brands of strobes that have the rechargeable battery built into the head. The strobes can be either manual or a version of ettl. Both types of the strobes usually include HSS or a version of HSS. You can find the brand names easily with a google search (sorry, not sure I can specify the brands here).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sufran View Post
    There are a couple of brands of strobes that have the rechargeable battery built into the head. The strobes can be either manual or a version of ettl. Both types of the strobes usually include HSS or a version of HSS. You can find the brand names easily with a google search (sorry, not sure I can specify the brands here).
    Yes you can specify brands. Once a member has 30 days membership and at least 50 posts, you are free to talk about products/brands etc, as long as you are not promoting something you sell.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first in the field, with a premium price are Profoto (B1 and B2). Then there are a number of Chinese-origin versions which are much cheaper, and may be regarded by some as having a less sturdy build or less consistent white balance which include Godox/Wistro AD 600, Indra500, and most recently Triopo F1-400. I haven't really looked at the Triopo (just recently announced) but I have been seriously considering the Godox 600. (I have the Godox AD 360 which i think is awesome, but not really powerful enough for overpowering the sun). The inbuilt battery can be a mixed blessing - obviously you don't need to carry around a separate battery pack, but the inbuilt battery can make the strobe top-heavy to use, especially when you add on a light modifier, so balancing the strobe can require care.
    Last edited by sufran; 03-01-2017 at 10:08am.