Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: When software vendors price themselves stupidly

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When software vendors price themselves stupidly

Was looking at a Imagenomic Portraiture tool recently so I decided to evaluate portraiture, portrait pro etc to find a tool I could use.

Portraiture is one of the more established products so I thought I'd have a look at that first. US$199...expensive but if it's a quality product then I don't...wait a minute...that's for the plugin for lightroom. If you want to use it for Photoshop you have to pay an additional $99 for the privilege (after discount)...$99 for a plugin? The same software?????? What the?

Comparing to other products, the plugins come free for all applications.

Sorry, portraiture, you just lost a potential customer because of your ripoff pricing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    very true, but I suppose it depends on what the market is, after all a Ferrari cannot really be worth the $, or a Rolex? But people still buy them.

I do get what you are saying though. I use an email app on my phone, up until about 6 months ago it was free (with ads), they then announced they were removing the ads and going to a pay model.. OK, I can live with that, until they released it. $99.00 per annum (subscribed) to use an App on my phone to read my email. Deleted said App, found another one, does the same thing, cost me $4.99... no ads.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    very true, but I suppose it depends on what the market is, after all a Ferrari cannot really be worth the $, or a Rolex? But people still buy them.

I do get what you are saying though. I use an email app on my phone, up until about 6 months ago it was free (with ads), they then announced they were removing the ads and going to a pay model.. OK, I can live with that, until they released it. $99.00 per annum (subscribed) to use an App on my phone to read my email. Deleted said App, found another one, does the same thing, cost me $4.99... no ads.
    Charging $200 for the same plugin to a different application can't be described as anything less than price gouging. Same application you've already purchased, different plugin, but because you already own the package, they'll give it to you at a "discount" for $100, so now you're in it for $300. I got Portrait Pro for $79 which includes plugins to all the applications.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mail app on an iPhone will do that for free. But I suppose the $99 pa app is much cooler.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    The mail app on an iPhone will do that for free. But I suppose the $99 pa app is much cooler.
    I dont have an iPhone and I need an email app that can handle 6 email addresses, both personal and business all inside the one app.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have an iPhone and I need an email app that can handle 6 email addresses, both personal and business all inside the one app.
    get an iPhone and become an iSheep and it won't be a problem :P

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. iPhone's only handling 3 atm, all personal. No idea what the limit is.

iSheep!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    Charging $200 for the same plugin to a different application can't be described as anything less than price gouging. Same application you've already purchased, different plugin, but because you already own the package, they'll give it to you at a "discount" for $100, so now you're in it for $300. I got Portrait Pro for $79 which includes plugins to all the applications.
    Sort of like paying $1.70 a litre for petrol in Adelaide/Hobart etc when its $1.30 or so in Sydney. Same product.

Not having a go, just pointing out that software companies are not the only ones who do this.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange. Imagenomic doesn't charge extra for Noiseware plug-in for Photoshop.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sort of like paying $1.70 a litre for petrol in Adelaide/Hobart etc when its $1.30 or so in Sydney. Same product.

Not having a go, just pointing out that software companies are not the only ones who do this.
    Not exactly. I would compare it to fulling your tank with petrol in Hobart for $1.70, going to Melbourne on the Tasmanian Ferry and then having the Victorian government want to charge you $1.30 to use the petrol you already purchased in Melbourne.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Strange. Imagenomic doesn't charge extra for Noiseware plug-in for Photoshop.
    They do. They charge you for the plugin for Photoshop but if you want to use it on aperture, you have to buy it again at a discounted price

Plugin for Photoshop $79,95
    Plugin for Aperture $79.95

Combine both for $119.95

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. This must be a new ploy as I didn't pay for the plug-in. I purchased Noiseware many years ago, though.