User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  19
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Interesting conversation

  1. #1
    Ausphotography Regular Bercy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Nov 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Interesting conversation

    Was speaking with a professional photographer. What irks her is when people have $10,000 DSLR's and the program is permanently glued to auto!! It certainly wasn't gear envy, but almost pity, that the true potential of the equipment would never be realized for want of even a little bit of training. Oh well - just because you can afford a Ferrari doesn't qualify you to drive one. Had me thinking though, how often do I really think about what my camera is doing, but rather hope that by blitzing away it will be stunning photography. Do you think "photographically" applying knowledge and training and experience into seamless motion? I'm jealous!!
    Berni

    ""The most important piece of camera equipment you will ever own sits between your ears...."

  2. #2
    Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2009
    Location
    Nthn Sydney
    Posts
    21,333
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lucky she's not often irked, then I can't imagine too many people
    who would do that. - Drive a Ferrari in Auto.
    CC, Image editing OK.

  3. #3
    Administrator ricktas's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Jun 2007
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    16,413
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hand them a film camera and tell them they have 24 shots only...
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

    Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

    RICK
    My Photography

  4. #4
    Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    09 Sep 2011
    Location
    Gladstone
    Posts
    15,471
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Hand them a film camera and tell them they have 24 shots only...
    And, then have to wait to see their results, and no chimping.

    I asked another tourist with a Nikon D810 to take our photo when we were in Bosnia. Figured he would know what he was doing. The results proved he didn't have a clue and I had set it up - all he had to do was focus and hold the damn camera straight.
    Glenda



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Jul 2012
    Location
    Rockyview
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even the Pro cameras are getting more and more automated these days anyway. Being able to choose auto ISO and a minimum shutter speed in manual mode and an EV is an example. Is it still manual, and if it isn't, who really cares as long as it gets the job done.

  6. #6
    Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Bercy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Nov 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the above insights - and it gets back to whether we actually understand what the device is doing, and then as Warbler said - does it matter. Consider modern aircraft - the pilots are almost entirely reliant of automated systems. The old school pilots that can see what's going on, feels what's going on - are becoming rare. Same photographically. I received some photos taken on a Samsung phone, perfectly exposed, pin sharp, beautiful. I looked more closely and felt them somewhat unnatural, and I guess they were over sharpened by the internal algorithms, and the colours renders to what we like to see. I still take a roll of 120 and take some pictures on Pentax medium format. Next I'll be wanting to see live bands!!

  7. #7
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    20 Feb 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe the lack of attention people pay to the operation of their camera. I'm pretty expert now so I know that "P" is the mode if I want pro quality shots, "Av" is for average every day shots and "Tv" is for the tat I reserve for FB. I'm pretty old school in the field too. I choose an ISO before I go out and I limit myself to 36 shots max. I never look at the image on the screen after taking it, that's for newbies.
    When back at home I have a special room for processing. I turn out the lights so it's completely black, and then I transfer the memory card from the camera to the computer. I slowly raise the brightness on the screen, because I think there's something magical about seeing an image materialize before your eyes, and seeing for the first time how effective that P setting has been. Then it's just a case of hitting print and mailing it off to National Geographic.
    Now I know that's some pretty advanced stuff right there, but I can't see why people can't take the effort to learn. Maybe start with the "M" (this means Manageable) but at least aspire to progressing through to Professional.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

    Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.


  8. #8
    Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2009
    Location
    Nthn Sydney
    Posts
    21,333
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ------

  9. #9
    Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Nov 2010
    Location
    magical Mudgee
    Posts
    21,457
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bercy View Post
    ... - and it gets back to whether we actually understand what the device is doing, and then as Warbler said - does it matter.
    And I think what Warbler said actually implies you still need to know how best to use the technology you have in your hands.
    I won't touch auto ISO but at least I know it's available to me.

    Are there really that many people buying $10,000 DSLR's that don't have a bit of an idea about photography??
    And for those that do buy, why would a professional photographer be irked. Let them take what they think are good photos and the ones that irk them can do what they please.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Jul 2012
    Location
    Rockyview
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I can't believe the lack of attention people pay to the operation of their camera. I'm pretty expert now so I know that "P" is the mode if I want pro quality shots, "Av" is for average every day shots and "Tv" is for the tat I reserve for FB. I'm pretty old school in the field too. I choose an ISO before I go out and I limit myself to 36 shots max. I never look at the image on the screen after taking it, that's for newbies.
    When back at home I have a special room for processing. I turn out the lights so it's completely black, and then I transfer the memory card from the camera to the computer. I slowly raise the brightness on the screen, because I think there's something magical about seeing an image materialize before your eyes, and seeing for the first time how effective that P setting has been. Then it's just a case of hitting print and mailing it off to National Geographic.
    Now I know that's some pretty advanced stuff right there, but I can't see why people can't take the effort to learn. Maybe start with the "M" (this means Manageable) but at least aspire to progressing through to Professional.

    Did you use manual focus? If you didn't, you're a pussy.

  11. #11
    Ausphotography Veteran MattNQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Dec 2010
    Location
    Townsville
    Posts
    2,632
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't think pro cameras had an auto setting? I'm only using an ancient D3, but haven't found a fully auto setting yet. Must be hidden?..Unless you're referring to the semi-automatic programs like aperture priority, shutter priority etc?
    All settings are effectively different tools. Shoot sports on a day with changing light...aperture priority works best. Wanting to get prop blur on a plane or panning racecars,... Shutter priority is probably your preference.
    Landscape I always go full manual for full control. Horses for courses.
    I'm don't feel less of a photographer if I shoot an entire athletics carnival on aperture priority. No-one really cares if it wasn't full manual and if I paid more attention to capturing the moment than worrying what my settings are doing
    If a photographic gumby wants to pay canikony $10k and utilise the many inbuilt smarts they are paying for, so be it.
    Yes we can chuckle at their ineptitude, but them buying top of the range gear keeps the camera companies in business and the rest of us- The Great Unwashed can afford their second hand bodies when they get rid of them with only 5000 actuations...
    Keep them buying big I say!


    sent from Earth via tapatalk
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

    My Website
    A Blog of sorts


  12. #12
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    20 Feb 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Did you use manual focus? If you didn't, you're a pussy.


    Sure. But I don't use the focus ring, I hold the lens in front of the body and adjust the lens to sensor distance to get things in focus. It takes some getting used to but I find it gives my shots a unique feel. The guys at the camera club joke with me, and call my shots blurred, but I know they're just jealous that they can't get the same moodiness.

  13. #13
    Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2009
    Location
    Nthn Sydney
    Posts
    21,333
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an interesting compendium it would make: A Phousand Photographic Pheats - by Hamster.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    12 Jul 2012
    Location
    Rockyview
    Posts
    2,087
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post

    It takes some getting used to but I find it gives my shots a unique feel.
    Don't know how to use Live View? See, that's where you're going wrong....

  15. #15
    Ausphotography Veteran MattNQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Dec 2010
    Location
    Townsville
    Posts
    2,632
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post


    Sure. But I don't use the focus ring, I hold the lens in front of the body and adjust the lens to sensor distance to get things in focus. It takes some getting used to but I find it gives my shots a unique feel. The guys at the camera club joke with me, and call my shots blurred, but I know they're just jealous that they can't get the same moodiness.
    You sir are a master of the craft. Ignore those traditionalist naysayers who would cast nasturtiums on your work.

    sent from Earth via tapatalk

  16. #16
    Ausphotography Regular
    Join Date
    20 Feb 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    950
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I knew those people at the club were just envious. I can't use live view Warbler, as I've taped over my LCD. Like I say, 36 shots and no checking. If the view finder was good enough for Ansell Adams it's good enough for me. If I'm really in the zone I channel the creativity through my third eye. But that's a really advanced pheat that few master.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  17. #17
    Ausphotography Veteran MattNQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Dec 2010
    Location
    Townsville
    Posts
    2,632
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post

    Are there really that many people buying $10,000 DSLR's that don't have a bit of an idea about photography??
    A 10k Leica turns dentists into photographers does it not?
    Snap a homeless person, traffic light on an angle and an out of focus discarded newspaper and you have a gallery of street art to be proud of





    sent from Earth via tapatalk

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    15 Mar 2014
    Location
    Currambine, Perth
    Posts
    445
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I can't believe the lack of attention people pay to the operation of their camera. I'm pretty expert now so I know that "P" is the mode if I want pro quality shots, "Av" is for average every day shots and "Tv" is for the tat I reserve for FB. I'm pretty old school in the field too. I choose an ISO before I go out and I limit myself to 36 shots max. I never look at the image on the screen after taking it, that's for newbies.
    When back at home I have a special room for processing. I turn out the lights so it's completely black, and then I transfer the memory card from the camera to the computer. I slowly raise the brightness on the screen, because I think there's something magical about seeing an image materialize before your eyes, and seeing for the first time how effective that P setting has been. Then it's just a case of hitting print and mailing it off to National Geographic.
    Now I know that's some pretty advanced stuff right there, but I can't see why people can't take the effort to learn. Maybe start with the "M" (this means Manageable) but at least aspire to progressing through to Professional.
    Ok that makes sense i was wondering how i watched Tv through the camera, i tried going + and - channels but no luck.

    Sounds like i need to start at "M"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regards

    Wayne

    Nikon D610, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70 2.8, Nikkor 50mm 1.4G, Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5, Manfrotto & MeFOTO tripods, Ninja pano head & LEE filters


  19. #19
    Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Bercy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Nov 2009
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I saw Mark Knoffler play that guitar and I say to myself, I'm gonna play like that. So I fork out big bucks for a serious red guitar and amplifier, just like he has. So a friend comes over and says "Man what a cool guitar! Play some thing". So I put on my bandana on and strap in the guitar. Turn the amp on full and make all the right moves. "Man that sounds like shit", says friend.

    Crap guitar. I gotta get me a better one....

  20. #20
    Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2009
    Location
    Nthn Sydney
    Posts
    21,333
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bercy View Post
    So I saw Mark Knoffler play that guitar and I say to myself, I'm gonna play like that. So I fork out big bucks for a serious red guitar and amplifier, just like he has. So a friend comes over and says "Man what a cool guitar! Play some thing". So I put on my bandana on and strap in the guitar. Turn the amp on full and make all the right moves. "Man that sounds like shit", says friend.

    Crap guitar. I gotta get me a better one....

    ...So you got RIFFED-off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •