Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Why I sometimes buy from overseas sellers

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why I sometimes buy from overseas sellers

I generally bend over backwards to support our B&M shops and local on-line sellers, often paying extra $'s to do so.

However at times the local pricing is way over the top. I've been searching for a couple of mounting plates to complete the set-up of my camera and guide 'scope onto my motorised astro mount. A Sydney seller wanted $AU55.00 + $10.00 to send the plate 150 klms.

One of our site sponsors, B&H Photo video, had the same plate for $US25.00 each, so I ordered two, and the postage cost to send them about 16,000 klms was $US12.26. Oh, and sorry Rick, I forgot to order them through the site.

After copping PayPal's extortionate exchange rate the cost to me was $AU43.69, per plate, delivered, as opposed to $65.00 to support a local seller. And I only use PayPal to minimise the number of times my debit card details are available to be pilfered.

As a very parochial Australian I feel bad when I do this, but fair dinkum, you have to draw the line somewhere.
    Last edited by Cage; 24-11-2016 at 7:25pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I never buy memory cards from local agents because they are generally at least 50% dearer - for the ones I am after anyway. I just can't understand why memory card prices are so expensive here in Oz. I buy from B&H generally as they are reputable and I have never had a dodgy card from them. I will not buy cameras or lenses from OS, though.

I must admit, I had forgotten that Ausphotography gets a kick back if I log on through this site.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another one who will always shop locally if possible, but, when their prices are ridiculously higher it becomes increasingly difficult to justify and it's not only camera gear.
    Glenda

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I buy big items locally, small items overseas. I find you can get bodies and lenses down to comparable pricing is you are prepared to wait for sales or buy in bulk. I keep an eye on places like Kogan for specials on memory cards because they can have up to 50% off at times