Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Too close for comfort.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too close for comfort.

Last wednesday after taking some pics for a friend for her web site, l was having some lunch at home and checking out APP, when l noticed thick smoke blowing all around the house. I shot down our lane to the road from where the smoke was coming from only to see a big bush fire coming my way. Staying to fight it with 30-35km winds l thought was not an option, as there was no escape route if things went bad.
    So, l closed all the windows, put put 2 sprinklers on in front of the house, turned on the bore pump, grabbed my wallet and mobile and went out on the road. And in no time at all, the fire jumped onto the property.
    For a while there, l thought that l would lose everything, but fortunately the wind turned into the semi tropical forest and slowed, giving me and my stepson who had now turned up to put out the fire heading towards the house, as well as saving the bore pump. We had spot fires here and there, that kept us alert for the next couple of days, until we got a lovely downpour of about 8mm of rain.

The fire claimed 3 sheds, a caravan, and thousands of dollars of exotic timber stored by one chap on his property, as well as some crop loss. The rural firebrigade did a fantastic and brave job saving a number homes that were in its path. Also they had the water bombing chopper in action for a couple of days. Not sure if its true, but when l went into town for some supplies, l heard the police were questioning a couple of guys about some rubbish that was tipped out onto a block not far from Marton, a small township not far from here and set alight. I'm just happy that no lives were lost. Was a tad stressful at the time, but feel better now

This pic was taken with my phone, just as the fire was jumping the road onto the property. And unbenown to me fire fighters were saving 3 homes to the left of this pic, behind the burning trees. It was fast.

You can see how close it got to the house here.

This is looking back along the path to the main road. The grass and small bushes under the powerlines went up very quickly.

The only positive thing about the smoke was, that it kept the mozzies away

Saw the chopper constantly for 2 days. They and the crews below did a wonderful job.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, scary stuff feathers.

Good report and pics.

I grew up in a bushy area and I know how intense and fast moving fires can be.

Glad you and your property escaped reasonably unscathed.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Wow, scary stuff feathers.

Good report and pics.

I grew up in a bushy area and I know how intense and fast moving fires can be.

Glad you and your property escaped reasonably unscathed.
    Thanks Kev Yes, very lucky Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stressful time, but at least a good outcome for you. Well recorded.
    Last edited by Ionica; 22-11-2016 at 7:08pm.
    Constructive critique of my photos is welcome and appreciated.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    feathers, relieved to hear that you are ok. Way to go with practical thinking, getting your property prepared and getting yourself to a safe location and not losing your head to panic.

So far I have not had such a close call with fires... I hope I do as well as you if ever faced with a similar situation.

I hope they catch those responsible. There have been a couple of fires local to here and they've caught the fire bugs both time. Blows my mind that there are still people in Australia so ignorant and oblivious of just how dangerous summer fires can be.
    Last edited by JDuding; 22-11-2016 at 7:43pm.

Nikon D7200 (still dreaming of a D810)
    Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED
    Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
    Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM (C)
    Panasonic HDC-HS900 35mm 3MOS 14.2 HD Camcorder.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodness what a terrible thing to happen and so close to your home too feathers, good to see that you are ok that's the main thing.
    People are so stupid, why they want to light fires in this weather is beyond me.. A relief to read that no one was lost also.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The thing that gets most homes are the embers as the fire comes your way. Except in an extreme event you can just put out spot fires until the fire gets to you, then shelter in your home as the fire passes. Then go outside and put out any flames near your house. You have to prepare to be able to do this before hand though.
    I know some people who's fire plan is just to not be at home on high fire danger days also.
    Any one that lives in a fire prone area could look at this ...... http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/resources/...-survival-plan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that you are ok after such an ordeal feathers. I think our volunteer firefighters are the unsung heroes of today - they risk their lives to save other people's material possessions and stranger's lives.

Well documented account of your experience.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A scary experience, glad you saved the house!
    David

Nikon D810
    Nikkor AF-S 24-120VR, Nikkor AF-S 16-35VR, Nikkor AF-S 70-300VR, Nikkor AF 50 f1.8
    Tamron 90mm Macro

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew close call. Glad you are ok.
    Scary stuff.

sent from Earth via tapatalk
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scary stuff for sure. Good reportage photos!

I have also lived through a close encounter with a raging bush fire back in 1994 here in Sydney. I know how scary it can be as we were evacuated and I was fully expecting to come back to no more home. Luckily our home and many others were saved at the last minute, but 8 were lost near us.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your concerned and informative comments Cheers.

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good story telling images feathers and glad to hear there were no lives lost and relatively little property damage. Hope they throw the book at the idiots who lit the fire. So many fires that do damage seem to be deliberately lit nowadays which is really sad.
    Glenda