User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have $500 to spend on Canon gear - please help!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    For me a camera and lens is already heavy enough without adding more bulk and weight. It takes seconds to change to a spare battery so why carry it around on the camera all the time? I've got an L bracket and being able to shift between landscape and portrait on an already levelled tripod is great. So I've added some bulk and weight, but nothing like a battery grip. What else does a battery grip do that I'm missing?
    Depending on the Lens attached a battery grip can actually balance the camera and lens for a much better weight distribution... not so "front" heavy so too speak. can also assist if you have large hands like me as gives you a little more to ...well ...gets your hands on ..and you know what they say about big hands......big Gloves
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    Depending on the Lens attached a battery grip can actually balance the camera and lens for a much better weight distribution... not so "front" heavy so too speak. can also assist if you have large hands like me as gives you a little more to ...well ...gets your hands on ..and you know what they say about big hands......big Gloves
    I guess I can see that. I have a 5d mkiii and with most lenses the pivot point of the system is just in front of the body, so this is where I put my left hand. I then put my elbow into my body and everything is balanced and ready to go. I would have thought that anything less balanced than a 70-200 probably needs a monopod, but then I've not tried every combo of body and lens .
    I've got big hands too (but a delicate touch ;-) ) which is why I find balancing the camera on my left fairly easy, and useful. As it allows my right to be just used for balance aid and able to roam around the controls.

Thanks for the thoughts.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think with the Canon 5D IV that I can get an iPhone app that shows Live View on my phone. So I can put the camera really close to the ground and focus and take a shot by tapping on the screen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12