Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I just landed an amateur "photoshoot"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I just landed an amateur "photoshoot"

Hi all,

I'm posting out of excitement and a little bit of nervousness (but mostly excitement). You see, lately I've been perusing job websites for short-term casual employment (think babysitting, retail, etc) and I came across an interesting Photographer Wanted advert. I'm not a professional in any way, but enquired for this role as it caught my eye. I was really honest and mentioned my equipment and its limits, that I'm an amateur and am passionate about photography as a hobby. But I've received a reply, and it looks like I may be committing to a real-life photoshoot! The job is for a female bodybuilder who wants some nicer images of herself, just to get her name out there and eventually delve into product promotion and competitions. This is a whole other world for me, and I am so intrigued to experience it first-hand. The catch is, it's unpaid (which is totally fine - I probably wouldn't have applied if it was), BUT she is wanting to swap photos for one-on-one personal training sessions! The irony is, I'm unfit, unmotivated, and it is totally unlike me to move outside of my comfort zone to even apply for something like this let alone take up fitness training haha. But I figured, the new year is looming, it's a great opportunity to pursue, so what the hell! I'll be meeting with her next week to show her some of my photos so far (mostly of family and friends, but she's aware of that). So if you guys are interested, I'd love to get feedback on my first images--assuming it all goes ahead--and keep you all updated!

I am busting with excitement right now! Just had to share

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the best with that and Thanks for Sharing..

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all the best with this would love to hear how you go with your first meeting
    CathyC
    D3100, D5100, D7000
    Lenses: Nikon 18-55mm, Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 18-105mm, Nikon 18-200mm, Nikon 35mm, Nikon 50mm, Nikon 55-300mm
    My Blog: http://anentreeincolour.blogspot.com.au/
    My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/38082060@N05/

Ausphotography Veteran Claire M's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a great opportunity Min, and I'm sure it will be a great learning curve! There's plenty of online reading and advice on the net too from a variety of photographer sites re Portrait and Sports Photography, incl one I really find useful - Digital Photography School's web site: http://digital-photography-school.com/tips/ . All the best with the photo shoot (and your new fitness regime )

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you may gain more than photographic experience. Good luck

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire M View Post
    It's a great opportunity Min, and I'm sure it will be a great learning curve! There's plenty of online reading and advice on the net too from a variety of photographer sites re Portrait and Sports Photography, incl one I really find useful - Digital Photography School's web site: http://digital-photography-school.com/tips/ . All the best with the photo shoot (and your new fitness regime )
    Thanks so much for the tips Claire! And to everyone else for the added support!

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful times indeed...don't forget to breath
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to charge your battery before the shoot... and clean the sensor.
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look for clean backgrounds and even lighting.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Cage; 19-11-2016 at 4:28pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well done and good luck.. if you need any help/tips etc just give me a call..happy to help if any is needed.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by *~Min~* View Post
    So if you guys are interested, I'd love to get feedback on my first images--assuming it all goes ahead--and keep you all updated!
    You must ask the lady if it's okay to post some photos from you first session on AP for help that can then be used to get better photos for the second session you have.

Good luck with the getting a bit fitter stuff. I gave up smoking in March and it's good to feel better. Step by step.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    Don't forget to charge your battery before the shoot... and clean the sensor.
    And make sure you haven't left your SD card in the computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cage View Post
    Look for clean backgrounds and even lighting.

Good luck.
    Good tips, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    well done and good luck.. if you need any help/tips etc just give me a call..happy to help if any is needed.
    Much appreciated! I'll keep that in mind

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    You must ask the lady if it's okay to post some photos from you first session on AP for help that can then be used to get better photos for the second session you have.

Good luck with the getting a bit fitter stuff. I gave up smoking in March and it's good to feel better. Step by step.
    I'll be sure to ask first, after all, getting some constructive criticism on my first images will only benefit her in the long run. It sounds like a longer term arrangement too with multiple opportunities as she wants to get into product promotion and competitions. We will see I guess! As for your giving up smoking, that is just fantastic Mark! I'm so glad to hear that you're seeing the benefits already

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    And make sure you haven't left your SD card in the computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All very valid points! I hope you're not speaking from personal experiences *cringes at the thought* but thanks for the reminders

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Luck Min! Don't forget to take some oil with you to put on her skin to give that "just worked out" look . Make sure you write a list ahead of time, of what to take on the day. Do lots of research beforehand to get some ideas and camera settings. BE CONFIDENT - it makes a big difference in how your client will act around you. Take control of the shoot especially if you have some solid ideas of what you want to do but you also need to take into account of what the client's expectations are.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well sound like you have nothing to lose.... well except for a bit of weight
    How exciting. Can't wait to see your photos!
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the best Min Sounds like a fun challenge. Cheers

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NikonNellie View Post
    Good Luck Min! Don't forget to take some oil with you to put on her skin to give that "just worked out" look . Make sure you write a list ahead of time, of what to take on the day. Do lots of research beforehand to get some ideas and camera settings. BE CONFIDENT - it makes a big difference in how your client will act around you. Take control of the shoot especially if you have some solid ideas of what you want to do but you also need to take into account of what the client's expectations are.
    Thank you for all the great advice! I've started looking into poses and fitness photography so I have a few ideas. I'm meeting her for coffee beforehand so we can swap ideas too

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a useful exchange. NN already covered the oil, maybe a water spray with a mist setting for a bit of fake beaded sweat, or is that a bit cliche
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: she hasn't responded to my last messages (after organising a meeting place to review my photos and everything and then not telling me a time) so doesn't seem to be going ahead..so this was all a bit disappointing but oh well. If it changes, I'll let you know but I'm not overly hopeful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, if you want models to practice on there will be some in your area who will work on a "time for prints basis"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast