Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  39
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you take photographs?

Moember formerly known as : Ghostbat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because I love it for the sheer fact it is about all I can do now 'cause I am broken but I love showing people what is out there in the wider world.....especially the little things which go un-noticed by the greater population......also it gets me away from my daughter, until she gets her own camera
    PHOTOS!!!!!! or it didn't happen

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the history. I have always loved looking at my great nanna's family photos, she still has the old original glass plates for some of them! which I find incredible. I love to think that I'm helping families out by taking their photos, to help them to have something to give their next generation and the generation after that.
    that and I love my camera as much as I love my kids
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    Threadstarter

About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd almost forgotten that side of it, but that has been so important over the last century or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 - Because I can
    #2 - Because I enjoy it......it usually takes me to some interesting places for a shot and perhaps some not so savoury places but in the end it is all a record of where I've been and what I've seen. In this respect I can show others who may or may not have the ability or chance to go to some of these places for whatever reason.
    #3 - Because if done right by my standards it can be therapeutically relaxing after a stressful day/ week at work.
    #4 - Because of the way of the world and its changes, I can look back on an old image and say I was there before the change.
    #5 - And finally, because in some instances I find it both mentally challenging and stimulating to achieve a desired result, always with room for improvement.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what my thoughts are worth:
    - It captures history - covered.
    - It helps me with CRAFT disease. This maybe comes under history anyway. Nostalgia?
    - It can be fun.

I've mucked about a bit too with "macro" stuff. Well, close ups. I got back in to playing with Lego models and there are some great ones once built.
    I've put a few up and have taken some more here and there.
    The close up ones on models can take you to a "new place" and change perspectives.
    With the more expensive lenses you get the "tilt shift" (is it?) and that is fun too. Though I don't have the $$ for that.

I would like to get/try those "infinite focal length" lenses and try the old tricks of people and toy cars, etc. But for now much I would use it (really) and what it would cost, I can't afford them.

Steve,
    If you are "interested":
    THIS weekend at Evan's head there is the annual get together of people at the airport.
    8 and 9 Jan.
    I don't know if you are into that or not, but seeing where you live and what is going on this weekend, I thought I would mention it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is enjoyable. It has to be otherwise why would you lug all that gear around everywhere.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Felix View Post
    Steve,
    If you are "interested":
    THIS weekend at Evan's head there is the annual get together of people at the airport.
    8 and 9 Jan.
    I don't know if you are into that or not, but seeing where you live and what is going on this weekend, I thought I would mention it.
    Thanks for letting me know, but I think that airshows aren't really my thing. I'm more into nature and I wouldn't know anyone there.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Thanks for letting me know, but I think that airshows aren't really my thing. I'm more into nature and I wouldn't know anyone there.
    Maybe you could go there and talk to strangers and see if you could get them into looking at nature with you. Yeah yeah, that won't work so go and take some other photos to affirm why you like to take photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me photography has always been something I like, and as others said, quite good at it. Now looking back, there are so much better photographers than I will ever be. The photography for me is something for the meditation, spending time with nature, or friends, thinking of something creative.

No matter what, I can't imagine putting the camera away forever, I love the possibility to take a look from a different angle and to be able to show it to others.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marietine View Post
    For me photography has always been something I like, and as others said, quite good at it. Now looking back, there are so much better photographers than I will ever be. The photography for me is something for the meditation, spending time with nature, or friends, thinking of something creative.

No matter what, I can't imagine putting the camera away forever, I love the possibility to take a look from a different angle and to be able to show it to others.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your photography then.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marietine View Post

I tend to agree with Rick above.
    Surely you're not satisfied with not showing your photos here. But of cause you share with your friends.
    Last edited by Mark L; 05-01-2017 at 11:03pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like getting out in nature and the challenge of getting a better photograph than previous ones, especially of birds and macro. Shooting birds with my Canon brings a stillness to my busy life as I have to slow down and wait for the best opportunity.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like art, and photography is an art form l get a lot of pleasure from, both in the natural and manipulated pics. Cheers.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case it is now just an extension of the rest of my life, if that it taking photos of daughter number 1 doing something funny / cute or photos of radio towers and users for my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take photo's because it's a chance to get out and not focus on everything else that takes up all the minutes in a day. It's just you, a mechanical device that draws light pictures, and whatever you want to draw a picture of.

It's great to take a photo that a loved one likes, though I rarely show my photo's outside here and my wife.

It's nice to be able to see something in something that people walk or drive past everyday and grab a little snippet of beauty in it, and lock it away forever (or until your hard drive gets munted).

I like that I can photograph an animal and show my kids (most of whom love animals) the little intricacies, and the changing colours, and the pores and skin and feathers and hair and facial expressions of the animals that they only see from a distance.

I like that I can take a photo of something that I find beautiful, like a dried lake bed, or a sunset, or a cloud formation. Those things will never be the same as they were at that moment, the light will never be the same as it was that moment, it's a snapshot of time that won't ever be there again.

It's a complex thing. It's a beautiful thing. It's a peaceful thing.

I don't think I've explained that very well.
    D5200 D7100 Limited talent, but lots of enthusiasm.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendo09 View Post
    I take photo's because it's a chance to get out and not focus on everything else that takes up all the minutes in a day. It's just you, a mechanical device that draws light pictures, and whatever you want to draw a picture of.

It's great to take a photo that a loved one likes, though I rarely show my photo's outside here and my wife.

It's nice to be able to see something in something that people walk or drive past everyday and grab a little snippet of beauty in it, and lock it away forever (or until your hard drive gets munted).

I like that I can photograph an animal and show my kids (most of whom love animals) the little intricacies, and the changing colours, and the pores and skin and feathers and hair and facial expressions of the animals that they only see from a distance.

I like that I can take a photo of something that I find beautiful, like a dried lake bed, or a sunset, or a cloud formation. Those things will never be the same as they were at that moment, the light will never be the same as it was that moment, it's a snapshot of time that won't ever be there again.

Think you explained it very well

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendo09 View Post

That describes one of my main reasons very well indeed.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you've explained your reasons very well Brendo.

It's capturing that moment in time. It will never be exactly the same again.

And Steve, is that your work on David Rabbitburrow's upcoming series ?
    Last edited by Cage; 11-01-2017 at 6:44pm.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that's mine. I couldn't think of a better place to showcase it. It's odd, but first I got "discovered" in Europe, then USA, Russia, China and Japan and now Australia.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I can't use the excuse nowadays, but reading some of the replies:

Though some of you say it is a good change to get out and focus on ........ I know a lot of people who take out-of-focus pictures.

Maybe they just didn't quite understand what was meant by FOCUSING on the subject.

Oh, and as a bit of a dig at myself......
    I see when I log in, that sometimes the saying at the top is "its all about the light".
    I think it is also all about the TIMING!

Recently I was at the airport about to fly away and took a photo of someone cleaning the windscreen of the jet.
    Like those people at the traffic lights who approach you when the lights are red..... "Want your window cleaned?"

TYPICALLY! I was watching him do one side, climb down and start on the other side before I had the idea of taking the picture.
    All I got for it was him starting to climb down the stairs.

Not the best picture, but it brings back the memory for me. So I guess that is important, somehow.

I'd include it, but not sure if this is the right place.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast