User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Your new editing computer ???

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your new editing computer ???

Microsoft have likely come up with something that is right out of the box here, and although it is Micro$oft, it looks damn good

More info: HERE
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Credit where its due... This does infect look very good - and thats coming from a long term Mac convert!

I cant not say it though, it is very Mac inspired and even the advert follows the same them of the Mac adverts. That said, if it sells product, why not.

Jon

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty slick, and agree with @Ventureoverland, very Apple inspired!

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a definite shift with Microsoft moving into Apples business model, that it is hardware that defines a brand and the OS just serves its functionality.
    As annoying as Windows 10 can be to some of us long term Windows users, its move to touch screen and mobile devise interface had to happen or they would have been dead in the water.

Microsoft hardware has definitely matured lately from their staples of affordable and dependable keyboard/mice and gaming devices which have served me well, but are not exactly the way to stamp an image of high end to the Windows name.
    Devices like the one here, the surface pro 4 and their line of mobile phones are a definite step in the right direction to keeping the still most popular OS relevant and may in time create a brand loyalty where everything someone owns runs on Windows as has become the norm often with Apple and it's OS.

As for this Surface Studio product, I don't see the attraction of putting the hockey puck like device on the screen instead of keeping it on your work table.
    Surely a lot of the time, where it is comfortable for it to be held and operated would be over the area of screen you want to work on with the pen device.
    The menu for the puck should be on the screen regardless. You could drag it where you want with your finger, it could even move out of the way automatically when the pen comes near.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am one of the few that went form Mac to PC. When Microsoft released the Surface Pro 3, I decided to switch across.

In all honesty, its a really good piece of hardware. Windows 8 was terrible but I knew Windows 10 was coming. Wow, that was a mistake. I went through a year of constant restarts, problems, etc. The issues we encountered were so bad, our company went from standardising on Surface Pro's in our company to dumping them as quickly as we could. Worst of all, my complaint to Microsoft went unanswered for a year. After multiple resends of the complaint, they finally responded saying "Hi, we got your complaint, is there anything specific you are asking about?". My response..."Well how about *#(%ing acknowledging the receipt of my complaint for one and how bad is your customer service that you couldn't even be bothered to send an apology letter". They said they would respond to me, they still haven't. I'm not surprised. I will never buy another piece of Microsoft hardware again no matter what it looks like, because sooner or later, it will go wrong.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I am one of the few that went form Mac to PC. When Microsoft released the Surface Pro 3, I decided to switch across.

In all honesty, its a really good piece of hardware. Windows 8 was terrible but I knew Windows 10 was coming. Wow, that was a mistake. I went through a year of constant restarts, problems, etc. The issues we encountered were so bad, our company went from standardising on Surface Pro's in our company to dumping them as quickly as we could. Worst of all, my complaint to Microsoft went unanswered for a year. After multiple resends of the complaint, they finally responded saying "Hi, we got your complaint, is there anything specific you are asking about?". My response..."Well how about *#(%ing acknowledging the receipt of my complaint for one and how bad is your customer service that you couldn't even be bothered to send an apology letter". They said they would respond to me, they still haven't. I'm not surprised. I will never buy another piece of Microsoft hardware again no matter what it looks like, because sooner or later, it will go wrong.
    Interesting eh? I have 4 devices running Windows 10 and none of them have an issue, for me, Win 10 is the most stable version of Windows ever. At work we use Macs, and they are forever slowing down, freezing etc. Most staff restart theirs at least once or twice a day just to get them working.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oooooooooohh little twitch in my pants
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Interesting eh? I have 4 devices running Windows 10 and none of them have an issue, for me, Win 10 is the most stable version of Windows ever. At work we use Macs, and they are forever slowing down, freezing etc. Most staff restart theirs at least once or twice a day just to get them working.
    did you have a surface pro? Or just another brand? Most of the issues were specific to the Surface models.

Contrasts this article from IBM, the home of the PC. What I did notice though is that all our people on laptops had more problems than PC's.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...t-thought.html

It also still doesn't excuse the lack of support from MS (I can show you the email trail) where my complaints to Apple are generally responded to in 48 hours.

There are two things MS has to do to up their game:

1. Quality control - The amount of issues on Windows 10, the Surface Book and the Surface Pro 4 were ludicrous. If you watched the Surface forums, some users had to replace their Surface Books 3 or 4 times to get a model that worked.
    2. After sales support - Up it to the levels of most organisations.

I think if they get those right, they will be formidable with their current innovations. If they don't, they will lose customers as fast as they gain them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm looks good.
    Doesn't have a hatch where you shovel the coal in like my current computer
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....Once the Nation restarts, I might have enough winnings
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the horse running like that, the Nation might not even get to stop
    CC, Image editing OK.

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly looks very slick and chic, Rick.

However, I prefer large tower cases with lots of big, silent fans with properly sealed ball bearings; and lots of very large capacity HDDs, plus one SSD for boot and programs, Bridge cache, etc. Big heat sink on the video card (and no fan ... ).

My current main workstation has 7 TB of disks installed, with another 8 TBs of portable/desk top drives nearby ...

I am also extremely fussy about what model SSDs I use. Even then, once configured I take an image of them onto a spinner. HDDs are mostly recoverable if they have a glitch. IME this is not the case with SSDs.

What I am contemplating ATM is a fast centralised NAS with a couple of mirrored 4 TB HDDs installed. One I installed for a client is as fast to serve cache and image files over my Gigabit Ethernet as one of my local PCs with the Bridge cache on the SSD and the image files on the local HDD. This is more than fast enough for my purposes, and much faster than my current main w/s, which is nearly ten years old and going to get retired very shortly.

Like most of our cameras, PCs have reached the point where almost anything made in the last 5 years is 'good enough', if properly configured. IMO, MS still hasn't worked out how to configure their own OS properly, nearly 20 years down the track!