User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  17
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to resize photographs for the Internet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im still lost as I use Lightroom & have a MAC (new still learning to use it).

Dont like PSC5 so it is as clear as mud (sorry Rick)
    Cheers

Wazza
    ---------------------

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Ackary View Post
    Im still lost as I use Lightroom & have a MAC (new still learning to use it).

Dont like PSC5 so it is as clear as mud (sorry Rick)
    See my PM reply re 'exporting' in lightroom.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this info as i have been away from the computor for a long time and all is so rusty now but i am back ready to try again
    cheers, mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for this very useful tutorial Rick. I feel foolish for (a) asking a dumb question on another thread when the answer was right here (RTFM again!); and (b) accidentally pushing the wrong button on this screen somehow. Mea culpa, I shall try to pay more attention. In the meantime I'll go and stand in the corner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! Just learning about uploading photos, found the thread a great help, cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is al very nice hoe do I resize on a "Apple"

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansi View Post
    This is al very nice hoe do I resize on a "Apple"
    What software are you using?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capture NX 2, iPhoto, Aperture, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4, Double Take, Photomatix Essentials, Previev..

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks Hansi, there is a link in THIS THREAD to a video on youtube on how to resize in Lightroom. You will find Youtube is full of tutorials for editing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good method thanks Rick.
    I was wondering how pasting a direct photo link from the very good Smugmug with default settings compares.
    So I tried a linked image downsized from Smugmug and a downsize from Photoshop along the methods you so well described.
    (Sharpening can be customized in Smugmug. http://help.smugmug.com/customer/por...0#displaysizes)
    From what I can see the method you describe for resizing yields better results with the customized sharpening. Than a direct Smugmug link at default settings.
    Where one loses some control over how sharp the individual image appears when Smugmug downsizes.
    I suppose this is fairly obvious when sharpening is different for every image and downsizing needs further sharpening. So no fault of Smugmug who do an excellent job.
    I was hoping I could remove a step in the workflow. But for critical work it seems very necessary.

Any comments appreciated.
    Please correct me if I am off the mark as I am keen to learn.

3736 x 2491 sRGB Image from Smugmug direct photo link. 1024 XLarge link embedded. (see above) The image appears sharp at the full resolution size.

Same as above but resized in Photoshop by Bicubic (best for smooth gradients) to 1024 x 683 sRGB. No sharpening. 229kb. Uploaded here from my computer.
    20130510_Pelican PP resize 1024 bicubic best for s gradients.JPG

Same as above but with Selective Unsharp Mask, Amount 68%, Radius 0.4, Threshhold 0. 231 KB. The added sharpness is clearly seen.
    20130510_ Australian Pelican 1024 PS bicubic besr for smooth gradients USM.jpg
    Last edited by petersimages; 10-05-2013 at 4:14pm.
    HAPPY SHOOTING, PETER.
    Constructive Critique of my images is always appreciated!

Bodies: D810 and D7100. Lenses: 300mm f/4, Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR. Tripod: Gitzo GT5541LS tripod. Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Head 2 with Quick Release Base. Teleconverter: Nikon TC-14E ll.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always sharpen just after resizing as any resizing can affect sharpness. So my final workflow for images for the net, is resize, sharpen (high pass sharpen method for me), then add watermark, save

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    I always sharpen just after resizing as any resizing can affect sharpness. So my final workflow for images for the net, is resize, sharpen (high pass sharpen method for me), then add watermark, save
    Thanks Rick do you upload from computer or embed a link.
    If embedding a link it is then best to not let your host apply any adjustments on upload as some do.
    Some people are not aware that their image hosting site alters the images by default.
    Last edited by petersimages; 10-05-2013 at 4:07pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was taught that the last thing to do is sharpen and make sure you do it at 100% resolution not to fit screen, adjust sharpening until you can see the effect taking place and that is enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davsv1 View Post
    I was taught that the last thing to do is sharpen and make sure you do it at 100% resolution not to fit screen, adjust sharpening until you can see the effect taking place and that is enough.
    I suppose the best thing for me to do is make a folder with my image hosting website and remove default options from the gallery settings for example sharpening.
    Then upload finished sharpened images using the points set out in tutorial. Then add image from the URL to forum.
    Sorry people if I side tracked the subject.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersimages View Post
    Thanks Rick do you upload from computer or embed a link.
    If embedding a link it is then best to not let your host apply any adjustments on upload as some do.
    Some people are not aware that their image hosting site alters the images by default.
    most hosting sites do apply alterations. I use photobucket and I also upload direct to AP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    most hosting sites do apply alterations. I use photobucket and I also upload direct to AP
    Thanks very much Rick. Appreciate your helpful advice. Got just what I need.
    I wonder how many people are aware their photos are altered in some way.
    And that the direct photo links resized from the hosting site may not be the sharp image you want to display on AP.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petersimages View Post
    Thanks very much Rick. Appreciate your helpful advice. Got just what I need.
    I wonder how many people are aware their photos are altered in some way.
    And that the direct photo links resized from the hosting site may not be the sharp image you want to display on AP.
    It is certainly something that has been discussed on the site a few times over the years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always give the images a sharpen after resizing for the web , PS Has a "best for reduction" function for Jpegs
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have and use Photoshop, but I wanted a quick and easy way to shrink picture size without the rigmarole, and tried to download the Image Resizer program last time I was here. It didn't work, so I thought I would try again today, but got the message that the page was no longer available. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newses Bach View Post
    I do have and use Photoshop, but I wanted a quick and easy way to shrink picture size without the rigmarole, and tried to download the Image Resizer program last time I was here. It didn't work, so I thought I would try again today, but got the message that the page was no longer available. Any suggestions?
    Photo editing in general is not 'quick and easy' until you learn how to do it. Spend some time learning a process and you can do it fast without the rigmarole. I can resize a photo in photoshop in about 10-15 seconds, including saving the newly sized file.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast