User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  9

Thread: Merge,Stamp or Flatten

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merge,Stamp or Flatten

I'm interested to know how people save layers in photoshop after editing is over.
    mostly the background and a sharpening layer.
    I've become confused about the different methods and would like to know what would be the best way for best results.
    Cheers Kevvy

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am ? sure if I understand you...
    If you want to SAVE layers, you should used Photoshop's PSD file format.

But, if you just want to save the file for display as a jpeg, then just Flatten the layers.
    The Merge command "merges" layers, and layers to the BG. Sometimes, though, Merge
    still requires that you Flatten the image (but not always).

But "best" as in what, because the layers are still flattened?
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I should of been clearer about what I'm doing.
    its the final save and conversion to TIFF for print output.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. So that you don't send unusual files to the printer's, just flatten the TIFFs.

Oh, as above even if you're printing them yourself. Your TIFFs are just final copies of
    your editing results. If you wanted to keep original editing format, then use PSDs.

So, reiterating: just flatten.

(Aside: AFAIU it, "merge" is just a useful command when combining a number of layers.)

PS: I'm unaware of "Stamp" in the layers context
    Last edited by ameerat42; 25-10-2016 at 11:39am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm forever changing my mind, so I keep a copy of the original RAW file and the edit PSD (complete, unflattened) in an 'On-going' folder.

To resize for here (AP) I create a 'Stamp visible layer' (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E) then right click on that and choose Duplicate Layer → Document → New...(name it what ya like) that will open as a flattened image. Then resize, apply any extra sharpening/edits then Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S to 'Save for the Web'

I'm sure there are plenty of other options as well...but that's workin' for me (until I change my mind, again )
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For simple edits I just flatten and save as a .jpg (but I don't overwrite the original file).

For more complex edits (typically anything with layer masks or more than a few layers) I save as a .psd without any merging or flattening, then I do resizing (and output sharpening if necessary) and save as .jpg (sometimes I flatten, sometimes I don't bother - doesn't seem to make a difference). I don't resave as a .psd when closing the file (so the resizing is not stored in the .psd).

If I have a situation where I have layers that I haven't used in the final output (some experimentation for example) I sometimes do a 'stamp visible' prior to saving the .psd file to give me a reference point of what layers I had used when saving the .jpg file.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    To resize for here (AP) I create a 'Stamp visible layer' (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E) then right click on that and choose Duplicate Layer → Document → New...(name it what ya like) that will open as a flattened image. Then resize, apply any extra sharpening/edits
    I was doing this but found that the EXIF data wasn't being transferred to the new document. Could have been a setting somewhere perhaps, I didn't bother chasing it up.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm forever changing my mind, so I keep a copy of the original RAW file and the edit PSD (complete, unflattened) in an 'On-going' folder.

To resize for here (AP) I create a 'Stamp visible layer' (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + E) then right click on that and choose Duplicate Layer → Document → New...(name it what ya like) that will open as a flattened image. Then resize, apply any extra sharpening/edits then Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S to 'Save for the Web'

I'm sure there are plenty of other options as well...but that's workin' for me (until I change my mind, again )
    I like the sound of this method. I already keep a copy of the RAW file I also make a copy of the file after camera RAW edits and no sharpening or Photoshop edits.
    My only problem now is hard disc space on the pc

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevvy View Post
    ...My only problem now is hard disc space on the pc ...
    Solution: Go to Officeworks. Buy a 1TB Toshiba Canvio drive for $77 (not the one for $88 where you buy some cloud storage), or,
    buy a 2TB one for about $138.

If you don't like Toshiba for some reason, then pay more for a Western Digital passport. (I have both since when they were priced alike)
    but now get the Toshibas. BUT DON'T get Seagate!!

PS: These are USB3 external drives, so if you have USB3 you're laughing. If not, they work at USB2 speeds.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 26-10-2016 at 10:35am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillum View Post
    I was doing this but found that the EXIF data wasn't being transferred to the new document. Could have been a setting somewhere perhaps, I didn't bother chasing it up.
    True, I forgot to mention that
    If it's important (it's handy to have when posting here on AP), you can export the information from the original, then import it to the new... File → File Info → Camera data → Preferences → Export.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvy View Post
    I like the sound of this method. I already keep a copy of the RAW file I also make a copy of the file after camera RAW edits and no sharpening or Photoshop edits.
    My only problem now is hard disc space on the pc
    I'm using FastStone viewer that was mentioned here on AP (Apologies to whomever, I've forgotten) and among it's many features, you can set it up so that you press the letter 'C' and it'll send a copy to your designated folder.
    I'm also really savage when it comes to deleting images...a poorly composed or blurred image is never going to be any good, no matter how long you keep it

Am makes a good point above...that's a lot of space for a few dollars -

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Am makes a good point above...that's a lot of space for a few dollars -
    And there's nothing wrong with Seagate.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    [Personal experience]Until you find that every one you've ever bought (~5 from memory) has packed it in.
    Add to that, the few that others have bought have done the same, and nothing has happened to the other
    brands. [/Personal experience]

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    From my personal experience.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an additional bad experience with them.
    http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/o...le-hard-drives
    Scroll down to the 1TB Seagates and check their prices

- - - Updated - - -

On a different tack - Kevvy, the title of this thread sounds like the things a BULLY would be
    thinking about!!