User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Photo of the Week : 2017 : Ideas

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Photo of the Week : 2017 : Ideas

I thought I would throw this open to members to discuss and come up with ideas for next year.

At present we are running a 4 week rotation on the Photo of the Week competition. It is setup like this

Pattern
    Week #1 : OPEN (all in, experience levels not used)
    Week #2 :Theme (all in, experience levels not used)
    Week #3 :OPEN (using experience levels)
    Week #4 :Theme (using experience evels)
    with some exceptions for *special events*

And the AP admin/mod team chose the themes.

So for 2017, would you like to see the above rota(pattern) change, and if so, please make suggestions. AND feel free to come up with some theme ideas. When thinking of themes we have a couple of guidelines we use. Themes must be something all members can achieve, no matter where they live. So for example, we do not have themes like "Brisbane / Hobart / The Kimberleys" as that restricts who could enter. Themes must be something that an absolute beginner could achieve.

Other than that, over to you. Please let us know your thoughts, suggestions, ideas. Please do not be concerned about posting something right out of the square, it could well be what we are all looking for.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think last years alphabet theme worked really well in last years weekly members challenge. The simple "A", "B", etc was so open to interpretation and thus encouraged participation.
    So noting experience levels are not used once each rotation ,
    Pattern
    Week #1 : OPEN (all in, experience levels not used)
    Week #2 : "A" ( using experience levels)
    Week #3 : OPEN (using experience levels)
    Week #4 : "B" (using experience levels)

*special events* would have to replace an open week to get all of the alphabet in for the year.
    I think everyone should endorse my thoughts wholeheartedly until you come up with something better.
    Last edited by Mark L; 23-10-2016 at 9:09pm.

Ausphotography Addict tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, I see you only have 1 week that is "All in" was that intentional, or a copy/paste error?
    John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    Mark, I see you only have 1 week that is "All in" was that intentional, or a copy/paste error?
    Intentional mate. (how dare you think I'd make an error )

The skill level is most relevant for comps, so that's where it should be used the most.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK. so the theme... hehe... of the replies here, seems to suggest you like some of the stuff we have done in the past.

I have made a suggestion to the mods, and now seek your thoughts. The suggestion is that for 2017, for challenges/competitions on Ausphotography we do a sort of 'best of the best' themes throughout the year. We look back at all the past competitions and challenges and pick and choose what we feel have been the best themes since 2006 (when AP started) and use those throughout 2017.

1. Do you like this idea?

2. Please feel free to go back to previous year's challenges, and start suggesting themes you enjoyed.

3. We can have mini-series of themes if you want (ie a series of numbers, letters etc) or we can just randomly use past themes again.

The overall themes for comps/challenges for 2017, could be based on 'from our past'..referencing that the theme has been used before.

Ausphotography Addict tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great idea. As I'm a fairly recent addition to AP, would be good to get into some of the older themes that came before my time. I'll have a look through them later on the big computer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tandeejay View Post
    ...As I'm a fairly recent addition to AP, ...
    What?!! - I thought you had been here for... (Oh, yeah!) months!
    CC, Image editing OK.