User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  21
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: America ...... land of the paranoid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    American airports are a pain. I lived in the US for about two years. Dealt with every government department from the DMV to TSA and Homeland security. All in the day to day of being a foreign national. None were much worse than dealing with local government here. What i would most like to say is that the normal american is one of the warmest and most welcoming people i have met in my global travels. I was invited into homes and social groups freely and warmly. Their views of Australia were as coloured as mine of America. Half my joy in being there was working through all of that. I would have stayed longer had their political system not been so screwed. Unfortunately i kinda feel ours is just as pooched. Hug an American today. They hug back

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally View Post
    What i would most like to say is that the normal american is one of the warmest and most welcoming people i have met in my global travels.
    Yeah .. I've heard that. Unfortunately, the ones who travel seem to be just the opposite! We cruise a lot, and the American passengers are always the loudest, the fattest, the rudest and the most irritating over all. They never say "please" or "thank-you", they treat the crew like slaves and they haven't a clue about anything apart from how everything they have is bigger, faster, more expensive and more likely to be seen with bullets in than everyone else on the planet. Of course I realise that some Australians can be equally obnoxious, but as a broad generalisation the Yanks have a bit of a name out there!

I have heard that the ones who stay home are much nicer, but of course I only tend to see the cruisers. I have met some Americans who pretended to be Canadians because they knew what a reputation the Americans had - and on my most recent cruise we sat with some who wanted to watch the Presidential debate on the telly, but were afraid to see it in one of the lounge areas because they thought other Americans would embarrass them!

It makes you realise how important it is to be "nice" when traveling because not only can your behavior reflect on you - it can reflect on the whole of Australia!!

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to second that Americans in America are amazingly friendly and welcoming. And most of the people I met there were pretty well informed about the world too, which goes against the stereotype.

I should also say that when I have to be obnoxious while overseas I usually make out that I'm Australian, which helps preserve our national reputation.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have to admit that I only know one American. He's the one circled in this photo ...... http://www.mudgeeguardian.com.au/sto...world-changed/

I have to admit a saying my mother drummed into us was 50 years ago was "if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all." And some people think PC is a new thing.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I have to admit a saying my mother drummed into us was 50 years ago was "if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all."
    Generally I'd agree, but by the same token - sometimes staying silent can be interpreted as acceptance or condoning certain behaviour. There's something to be said for calling a spade a spade, provided that there is sufficient balance. Various races have stereotypes, but we don't suggest that those characteristics apply to everyone in a specific culture. Ozzies have certain reputations as well, and I find those equally offensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the travelling american is a bit like the yahoo aussie in bali. Judge the individual.

- - - Updated - - -

PS how good is the cricket.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally;1390153[RIGHT

PS how good is the cricket.
    Not so good if you have Pakistan heritage. And if your American, "W.T.F. are you talking about?"
    Last edited by Mark L; 17-12-2016 at 11:28pm. Reason: fix that WT F thing again

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Editor of the "Mudgee Guardian ". Do you still circle the wagons at 7pm every night? And how Many pages? 2. Front and back.
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12