User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: WhatsApp - What was UP with it...

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WhatsApp - What was UP with it...

Just FYI as many people use WhatsApp.

Had a frantic call from a friend today, "Help! I can't add people here (in Oz) to Whatsapp and they can't add me"

Friend came around. I saw she had a dual-SIM phone, with BOTH an overseas SIM and also a local SIM installed. The Local SIM was
    "active", as she had been making local calls with it. The WhatsApp had been installed using the OS SIM. I had the OS number as
    my WhatsApp contact.

Using WhatsApp, I called her and then she called me. Then we sent a msg and a photo. ALL that worked.

It turns out that AS I ONLY had her OS SIM number as my WhatsApp contact for it to work, she had to supply
    her other friends who live here THAT OS phone number. We tried that with one of her local friends. - It WORKED.
    She (initially frantic friend) is now .

Conclusion: WhatsApp JUST needs a verifiable SIM AND an Internet connection to work. That dual-SIM phone had both.
    To the user, it appears quite transparent: WhatsApp works - because of verifiable (in this case OS) SIM; and Local phone calls/SMS
    work - because of Local, active SIM. The Internet came from my WiFi at first, then (PRESUMABLY) from her local SIM plan for
    the second try using SIM data. Furthermore, her Local SIM number did NOT show up in my WhatsApp contacts list - correctly so.

Aside: I since checked out about using WhatsApp with dual-SIM phones. You CAN (if you really are desperate) install
    a second APP that uses lots of your WhatsApp info and "acts like" you've got 2 different WhatsApp accounts. There are
    also other, equally arcane means of getting "the same". I didn't bother pursuing them. Immediate problem easily fixed.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand, you should be able to sign out and sign back in with a different account, switch accounts essentially, and use her local sim

Much easier compared to trying to do it for Viber...
    Last edited by bitsnpieces; 21-10-2016 at 2:21pm.
    David Tran
    Sony a55
    Sony DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
    Now sits as an antique as it no longer focuses properly.

Wishlist: Sony RX10iv (or RX10v if it ever comes out)

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta, Bits.
    I remember changing SIM in a phone I had with WTSAP installed. It wouldn't work until I told it to use the new number.

I don't think using the OS number will incur any costs - though she'll find out - and her friends can just call her by name
    on WTSAP. Meantime she happily returns their calls/msgs, and makes any phone calls she wants - all transparently.