Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  30
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDEAS: 2017 Members' Challenge

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

IDEAS: 2017 Members' Challenge

Well we are now up to week 42 of this years challenge, so when the week 42 challenge starts tonight, we have 10 more weeks to go to see out 2016.

Therefore it is time to start considering what we do for the Challenge for 2017.

So here is your chance to put up ideas. Post anything you think would be worthwhile in this thread and as 2017 gets closer we will form a plan for the year.

Over to you...
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular Claire M's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think having a series (even for a month) of a colour themed photo challenge (any basic, primary or secondary colours) would have a lot of members participating, with a variety of photos being submitted.

Also 1 or 2 series of a random letter of the alphabet theme (not in order) would be great too. Alternately, one series could be to take a photo of anything starting with that letter, or taking a photo of something in the shape of a nominated letter - certainly would bring in a lot of variety of pics for the challenge!

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire M View Post
    I think having a series (even for a month) of a colour themed photo challenge (any basic, primary or secondary colours) would have a lot of members participating, with a variety of photos being submitted.

Also 1 or 2 series of a random letter of the alphabet theme (not in order) would be great too. Alternately, one series could be to take a photo of anything starting with that letter, or taking a photo of something in the shape of a nominated letter - certainly would bring in a lot of variety of pics for the challenge!
    Thanks Claire.

We have done colours before (RGB) Red Green Blue as past of a camera based series. We have also done alphabet stuff as well. But we could do them again.

Also we do not need to do 'series'. We could have 52 random themes, or 52 that are linked in some way. It doesn't have to be smaller sets of themes as we have done this year.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was done a couple of years ago, why can't we do a theme again, especially if it's a good one that people can do (without having to skydive without parachutes to achieve)?
    'Colour,' for instance, could be shot so many ways, it would be hard to be bored with such a theme and be something everyone could do.

Alternatively what about a math based theme?
    Numbers such as odd, even, halves, quarters, less than 5, more than 100.
    various shapes, (curves, straight,circles etc),
    space and measurement type stuff (heavy, light, long, short, hot, cold, fast, slow, tall, short) angles, low POV, high POV
    chance and data - anything to do with gambling and lotto
    Last edited by JoPho; 19-10-2016 at 9:38am.
    Been here, not done that.

Ausphotography Regular thegrump's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not get out of the house much any more, so some specific items I could take around the house or yard would be good
    I have been taking photos for 50 years. I am now trying to get into Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the themes need to be open to as much interpretation as possible (simple to encourage participation is better here).
    I said this last year and it didn't happen. Are you all happy with the participation with the not so simple things this year? (yep, the majority that didn't join in are welcome to comment )

I agree with Jo, "If it was done a couple of years ago, why can't we do a theme again".
    So the 2015 alphabet theme thing worked well as did the 2014 photography based themes. Repeat these every third year with something else might make these theme things easier to choose and encourage regular long term participation (other than every third year).
    So I reckon the alphabet thing (week 1 A is you theme, week two a theme chosen be someone starting with A. Week 3 B, week four a theme .....) could run again next year. Then 2018 goes with the photography based themes. By 2019 we should have so many people playing we could do anything ( like this year to stop people playing. What am I going to do with elation this week? That doesn't encourage participation.

It's all very well to try and re-invent the wheel but if no one cares or plays what's the point
    Alphabet theme next year for me.
    Last edited by Mark L; 19-10-2016 at 10:10pm.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, keep it simple and open to interpretation. I treat this as more of a fun thing and dropped out last year because it got to the stage it required too much thought and effort and became more of a chore than a pleasure.

Ausphotography Regular bcys1961's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I think the themes need to be open to as much interpretation as possible (simple to encourage participation is better here).
    I said this last year and it didn't happen. Are you all happy with the participation with the not so simple things this year? (yep, the majority that didn't join in are welcome to comment )

I agree with Jo, "If it was done a couple of years ago, why can't we do a theme again".
    So the 2015 alphabet theme thing worked well as did the 2014 photography based themes. Repeat these every third year with something else might make these theme things easier to choose and encourage regular long term participation (other than every third year).
    So I reckon the alphabet thing (week 1 A is you theme, week two a theme chosen be someone starting with A. Week 3 B, week four a theme .....) could run again next year. Then 2018 goes with the photography based themes. By 2019 we should have so many people playing we could do anything ( like this year to stop people playing. What am I going to do with elation this week? That doesn't encourage participation.

It's all very well to try and re-invent the wheel but if no one cares or plays what's the point
    Alphabet theme next year for me.
    I liked the alphabet theme. Numbers could also be good . I agree they got too hard this year so I dropped out as well.
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrump View Post
    I do not get out of the house much any more, so some specific items I could take around the house or yard would be good
    That is an interesting idea.

theme week one: Go into your bathroom. shut the door. Take 50 unique photos, no two can be the same. then share your most interesting one for the challenge.

theme week two: something in your garden that is not green.

theme week three : what's for dinner?

etc

52 weeks of themes based on 'in or around your home'

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post

theme week one: Go into your bathroom. shut the door. Take 50 unique photos, no two can be the same. then share your most interesting one for the challenge.
    You got the number a bit wrong Rick.
    Take 52 photos and the weekly challenge can just be titled "This year in my bathroom."
    Reckon 52 photos in our bedrooms might work better.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You got the number a bit wrong Rick.
    Take 52 photos and the weekly challenge can just be titled "This year in my bathroom."
    Reckon 52 photos in our bedrooms might work better.
    So everyone has to go to Mudgee and take 52 photos in your bedrooms ?
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-10-2016 at 8:03pm.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's more exciting than what happens these days so let's go with that.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's more exciting than what happens these days so let's go with that.
    Well, they had "Sleepless in Seattle", so something called "Morpheus in Mudgee" might be just the ticket

(But, if you need to go to the... during the night, do you take you camera? That could be a sub-plot:
    "Dozing in the [well it starts with "D".)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theme week two: something in your garden that is not green.

theme week three : what's for dinner?

etc

52 weeks of themes based on 'in or around your home'
    Sounds like too many still life type scenarios to me. I'd prefer some subjective themes which could be shot in lots of places, including around home if necessary.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lplates View Post
    Sounds like too many still life type scenarios to me. I'd prefer some subjective themes which could be shot in lots of places, including around home if necessary.
    so put forward some suggestions yourself, perhaps!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so put forward some suggestions yourself, perhaps!
    Just stick to the KISS rule for me. Letters, numbers, rhymes with, colours, shapes, narrow DOF - any subject that can be shot anywhere.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK. so the theme... hehe... of the replies here, seems to suggest you like some of the stuff we have done in the past.

I have made a suggestion to the mods, and now seek your thoughts. The suggestion is that for 2017, for challenges/competitions on Ausphotography we do a sort of 'best of the best' themes throughout the year. We look back at all the past competitions and challenges and pick and choose what we feel have been the best themes since 2006 (when AP started) and use those throughout 2017.

1. Do you like this idea?

2. Please feel free to go back to previous year's challenges, and start suggesting themes you enjoyed.

3. We can have mini-series of themes if you want (ie a series of numbers, letters etc) or we can just randomly use past themes again.

The overall themes for comps/challenges for 2017, could be based on 'from our past'..referencing that the theme has been used before.

Ausphotography Regular Claire M's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really liked the rhyming theme challenges too,
    Lots of members joined in, and it was fun to do!
    Last edited by Claire M; 20-11-2016 at 5:26pm.

Ausphotography Veteran tandeejay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an Idea:

2017 members challenge:

week 1 : cannot have feathers
    week 2 : cannot be a bird
    week 3 : nothing avian
    week 4 : absolutely nothing to do with birds in any way
    week 5 : absolutely nothing to do with birds in any way, shape or form

Rules change : any bird related photos will be removed by mods..

John Blackburn

"Life is like a camera! Focus on what is important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out take another shot."

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but how would that stop Mark?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast