Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Shooting tethered with a Nikon

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooting tethered with a Nikon

Do any members do this and if so, what do they use? As my eyes get older I would like to see a larger view than the LCD screen for certain situations. A friend with a Canon has a reasonably priced app she uses on her tablet but I can't find anything similar for a Nikon. Recently received an email advertising this http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/ca...vision6.com.au but not sure I want to spend that much and would much prefer a cheaper app if I could get one Also I would prefer to use my iPad rather than a laptop.
    Last edited by Glenda; 13-10-2016 at 11:18am.
    Glenda

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Helicon Remote for focusing on stars but it was too small on my phone screen.

Other than that it seemed to work well.

I'm now using Backyard Nikon on my lappy.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a peek at DSLRDashboard

I tried it a few years ago on my Android tablet, but didn't find it very good.
    That was a very very early version tho .. maybe it got better.

One day(when you come to your senses! ) .. and get yerself a Windows tablet, I've found that the best tethering software out there is ControlMyNikon(google it).
    It's Windows only(and it comes in a Canon flavour too).

I got a pokey, slow lil Windows tablet many years back (Atom CPU, 2G max RAM, ... ie. very slow!!) and it worked fine even with those pathetic performance specs.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *removed : refer to the site rules - in particular rule 3:

Members with Under 30 day’s membership and/or 50 posts:

[3] Are not allowed to promote or complain! Promotions or complaints about services/people/organisations/products/businesses by new members is not allowed anywhere on Ausphotography. New members are also not allowed to seek/advertise employment (either paid or unpaid) anywhere on the site.
    Last edited by ricktas; 13-10-2016 at 6:57pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that you don't want to use a laptop and would rather tether to your ipad but -----

If you have a windoze lappy and want a reasonably cheap program have a look at Control My Nikon.

One more expensive piece of gear that will work with your ipad is the Cam Ranger.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Member formerly known as : Lplates
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I did look at DSLRDashbord Arthur but it has such lousy reviews decided, even at a reasonable price, it wasn't worth it. Control My Nikon looks interesting and seems to do everything I would want. I do have a Windows Netbook which I could use with it - not entirely converted to Apple yet, although I do love my iMac and iPad, but doubt I will ever get an iPhone. I would be quite happy with a dumb phone, phone screens are way too small for me to worry about accessing the net on them unless desperate. Will also have a closer look at Backyard Nikon Kev.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry LP, I gave you a bum steer.

The program I settled on was the one Uncle Arthur recommended, Control My Nikon. (Thanks Artie). I tried Tether Pro and several others but found them all very buggy.