User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Travelling with powerboards OS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travelling with powerboards OS

I'm travelling to the U.S., Canada & Alaska and would like to find out whether it is feasible to use an Australian ( 240 volt ) powerboard + a 2-pin adapter plugged in to their 110 volt outlets without causing meltdown.
    I need to be able to charge up to four camera batteries, a laptop and a phone/ i-pad in breaks between excursions and would rather not have to carry six adapters and forage for power outlets behind beds, desks or fridges.
    Has anyone had this experience? Do I need a step up transformer? I can't see that using a U.S. powerboard would do much to advance my cause.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite certainly is. Did almost the same thing for Canada - only took a double-adapter along with
    a (or was it 2?) powerpoint adapters. (I think it was 2 in case 1 broke)

The good thing is that the likes of battery chargers run on anything from 100 to 250 volts.
    It's the same powerpoint adapter for both countries.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I used a 4 outlet powerboard when OS in USA, Canada and Europe. Some countries have laws about electrical equipment and what can be connected to their power grid, but who's going to know as long as you put it back in your bag so the hotel staff don't see it?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your responses. That's heartening news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. I usually fly with a 6-point powerboard and one adapter. Common sense applies to how much you plug in just as it does here at home. However, from what you describe the total wattage of your gear should be well under for causing problems. I usually have more chargers than that plugged in.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a power board shouldn't be an issue if you are just plugging in a few chargers etc. The only time you need to worry about overloading the "system" is when you are using power hungry devices like heaters etc. Small devices like phones, laptops and camera chargers use very little power. As for transformers, the laptops, phones and camera chargers now can generally work on a wide range of voltages but it is best to check them just in case. They make them this way because people are doing exactly what you are doing, ie travelling the world and need multi-voltage chargers. My Nikon camera battery charger states 100V-240V, 50/60hz and a current draw of .23Amps -.12Amps (coprresponding to 100V-240V - halve the voltage double the current draw). My Laptop has similar voltage/current/frequency numbers as the camera battery, as does the phone charger.