Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Lens(es) for trip to Europe

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc63 View Post
    . . . I agree on the image stabilisation, I think that is a must have. That is why I am leaning to the 10 to 18.
    Oh Yes! - I cannot underscore how important IS is at the wide end for this particular type of Photography.

I have pondered how wonderful it would be for me to take a TS-E 17; tripod; counterweights - and then direct the local Coppers to "please clear the area" . . . but that is just dream-time stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc63 View Post
    . . . Its not so much that I want to buy another lens, I just thought I'd need to (and any excuse will do ), especially for interiors.
    After years of buying lenses solely upon business logic and as tools of trade and rarely any personal subjective input, my 24 to 105/4L IS was a Christmas gift from me to me: that was a good choice that I made . . .

If it is not a great financial burden, then I think you should buy the 10 to 18. Additional to its usefulness on your holiday, with a bit of perseverance, it will open up a whole new genre of Photography for you and you can enjoy that for many years. 10mm is awfully wide and also a lot of fun to explore. And the 10 to 18 is not overlapping anything that you presently have. . .

BTW and a bit off topic - It occurs to me that you probably bought the 70D with the two kit lenses (18 to 55 and 55 to 250) and later thought that (for better IQ and 'walk around' convenience) an 18 to 135 STM would be the go.

Additionally the 70 to 300 L IS figures most logically on an APS-C for the longer stuff, be it sports/outdoors or similar - probably the 70 to 300 L IS would be my "one lens" choice for an APS-C over the 100 to 400 L IS for that type of shooting, because there's not all that much difference between 300 and 400 that a bit of post production cropping won't address - but the difference of being able to get wide to 70 rather than being stuck at 100 can be useful. I thought that if you are a medical practitioner, then you'd be used to working through that type of diagnostic procedure . . . I guess one question you might be asking now is: "what do I do with the 18 to 55 and the 55 to 250?" . . . well, I think it is all part of the process.

I think that if the Avatar on your profile is actually you holding a 70D with a 70 to 300L mounted, then your hair is the same colour as mine: and that in my opinion more than adequate reason for you to buy the 10 to 18 lens!

WW

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post

If it is not a great financial burden, then I think you should buy the 10 to 18. Additional to its usefulness on your holiday, with a bit of perseverance, it will open up a whole new genre of Photography for you and you can enjoy that for many years. 10mm is awfully wide and also a lot of fun to explore. And the 10 to 18 is not overlapping anything that you presently have. . .
    The 10 to 18 can be found for under $400, plus the hood. I was also thinking Father Christmas might leave one under the tree this year if I'm a good boy!

BTW and a bit off topic - It occurs to me that you probably bought the 70D with the two kit lenses (18 to 55 and 55 to 250) and later thought that (for better IQ and 'walk around' convenience) an 18 to 135 STM would be the go.
    Yes and no. The 18 to 55 and 55 to 250 came with the 70D. The 18 to 135 STM came with my daughter's 700D, But I use it more than she does. She usually uses the 15 to 55.

Additionally the 70 to 300 L IS figures most logically on an APS-C for the longer stuff, be it sports/outdoors or similar - probably the 70 to 300 L IS would be my "one lens" choice for an APS-C over the 100 to 400 L IS for that type of shooting, because there's not all that much difference between 300 and 400 that a bit of post production cropping won't address - but the difference of being able to get wide to 70 rather than being stuck at 100 can be useful. I thought that if you are a medical practitioner, then you'd be used to working through that type of diagnostic procedure . . . I guess one question you might be asking now is: "what do I do with the 18 to 55 and the 55 to 250?" . . . well, I think it is all part of the process.
    I bought the 70 to 300 L IS for aviation & sports, though I haven't done a lot of sport yet. Its very good for aviation photography, and it was a lot cheaper than the new 100 to 400. The daughter used the 18 to 55, but the 55 to 250 hasn't been used in ages. Dont know if its worth trading in on the 10 to 18.

I think that if the Avatar on your profile is actually you holding a 70D with a 70 to 300L mounted, then your hair is the same colour as mine: and that in my opinion more than adequate reason for you to buy the 10 to 18 lens!
    Yep, thats me holding the 70D with a 70 to 300L out the back of Tullamarine airport. And I wholeheartedly agree, that is an excellent reason to pull the trigger on the 10 to 18!
    Canon 70D, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS USM

EF-S 10-18 f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250 f/4.5-6 IS II

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12