Ausphotography Regular John King's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Olympus E-M1 MkII announcement

Here: https://www.dpreview.com/news/974017...ii-development

Looks pretty good to me ...

My SWMBO has given me pre-permission to buy it when released later this year ...
    Regards, john

Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

My galleries contain all sorts of stuff, not just some pretty pictures.

ILCs: E-M1; E-30; E-510; E-1
    Digital lenses: 14-42 EZ; 12-50; f/2.8 25 pancake; f/2 50 macro; f/4 7~14; 11~22; 14~42; 14~45; 14~54 MkII; 40~150 MkI; 40~150 MkII; 50~200 MkI; EX-25; EC-14

I am older than I look. peterb666's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    My SWMBO has given me pre-permission to buy it when released later this year ...
    Well done.

The substantially better AF speed, improved dynamic range and low-light performance will woo me but I think it will take me a while to save up to buy. Maybe if I start now, I may have enough by the time it is released. Looking forward to seeing some reviews of production models over the coming months.
    Cheers

PeterB666

Visit my 52/2011 My photos on Flickr. On Model Mayhem now (fortunately not as a model) My new blogsite!

Olympus OM-D E-M5 with Metabones Speed Booster and Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 - almost as insanely wicked as sin itself.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Peter.

I am likewise looking forward to practical reviews of the camera. Looks absolutely fantastic so far.

I am already looking very hard at images taken with the new f/4 12-100. Looking extremely promising as a large, high IQ walk around lens as a replacement for/alternative to my FTs 14-54 MkII. Michaels have it listed for $1,699. Hopefully cheaper as a kit with the body - i.e. somewhere under $2,500 for both?

Pre-approval extends to both items, cost limit not specified ... .

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk about easy street!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon} -> 50/1.2 : 500/8(CPU'd) : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8ais : 105mm f/1.8ais : 24mm/2ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thanks Arthur.

Looks as if the price might even be a little North of $3,000 for both items as a kit. However, both look to be stellar items. It appears that the E-M1 MkII has a buffer depth of around 150 RAW shots.

However, that's not even part of my reason/s for buying.

Some other main ones are:
    better AF and far faster CPU - 2x quad core. 1 CPU for AF alone; the other for camera functionality and data. Roughly 3.5x faster than the E-M1 MkI.
    better IBIS,
    better DR,
    better noise at all ISOs,
    somewhat higher resolution - specially in Hi-Res mode,
    far better video implementation than previously,
    flippy screen,
    dual cards (UHS-II + UHS-1) with the ability to write to either, both, etc (features that have been on high end CanNikon bodies for years ... ),
    card folder management and choice of where to write what,
    far bigger capacity battery - very important with mirrorless,
    even more customisable feature set and controls,
    ability to write camera settings to computer for re-installation after f/w update/service/etc,

Many other major and minor improvements.

Looks to be a stunning upgrade to my E-M1 MkI, which is a fantastic camera in its own right. I will keep it as a second, walk around body, probably with the minute 14-42 EZ collapsible pancake zoom on it. Basically a live-in-the-car setup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea coming from a canon crop sense camera I’ve been looking at a Mirrorless system for some time now, and almost made a choice on the Sony a7 II, but there have been few things that just been holding me back from taking the final steps in purchasing the new system, mainly price to a full frame camera and lens, also lack choice for lens doesn’t help either.

Stupid part of this is I didn’t even look into an Olympus gear, only because of Photokina and the announcement of their new E-M1 Mk II Flagship camera, I’ve started to look into the specs of this camera and it ticks most of my needs and much more. Then I started looking into their huge range of lenses, wow where to start and which one. Now I just have to wait to see what kind of price this new kit will be.

Ray
    Canon 60D,
    canon 17-55MM f2.8,
    canon 50mm
    Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di,
    Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not meaning to take the thread OT, but years back, when my (now) ex was my SWMBO, while pre-approval wasn't necessarily required prior to a purchase, with hindsight it should have been sought.
    The glares and lack of communication for the months post purchase was tormenting.
    But a quick little story:
    About 13-14 years ago now, having (recently) bought a house, and the inevitable two kids .. etc, I was watching the kids growing up too fast and without any ability to record some of those moments.
    So I made the random decision to purchase a video camera(y'know the old video camera types).

Well didn't I hear the end of it .. coz .. y'know, it cost the earth and money is everything right!
    (so as per usual, I had some peace and quiet for a few days .. while the SWMBO simmered at the thought of me spending my hard earned cash! )

BUT!!

A funny thing happened on the way to the freshly grassed backyard, with freshly built kids cubby house .. and there's the so called SWMBO videoing the kids playing on the pristine lawn, playing kids cubby stuff .. day after day after day!
    Jammed the PC full of hundreds upon hundreds of Gigs of (raw)video .. each 1-2hr tape held about 11G of data .. and of course the inevitable rise of the HDDs started!

So I ask .. why is the term labelled SWMBO .. and not the more accurate SWMNBO?

So from reading the comment relating to SWMBOs John .. at least yours sounds reasonable and doesn't appear to necessitate any appending!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Peter.

I am likewise looking forward to practical reviews of the camera. Looks absolutely fantastic so far.

I am already looking very hard at images taken with the new f/4 12-100. Looking extremely promising as a large, high IQ walk around lens as a replacement for/alternative to my FTs 14-54 MkII. Michaels have it listed for $1,699. Hopefully cheaper as a kit with the body - i.e. somewhere under $2,500 for both?

Yeah it's looking like a nice bit of gear. I'll wait a while until the initial price tax has eased and then I'll be in the market as well. I'm keeping the mark 1 as a backup body so no rush (at least that's what I keep telling myself :-). The 12-100 is getting pre-ordered on Amazon heavily according to 4/3rd rumours today so clearly going to be a popular addition. If the quality matches the other recent pro lenses it'll be well worth it!
    Olympus OM-D EM-1, 12-40mm f2.8, 45mm f1.8, Panny 25mm f1.7

Ausphotography Regular bcys1961's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thanks Arthur.

Looks as if the price might even be a little North of $3,000 for both items as a kit. However, both look to be stellar items. It appears that the E-M1 MkII has a buffer depth of around 150 RAW shots.

However, that's not even part of my reason/s for buying.

Some other main ones are:
    better AF and far faster CPU - 2x quad core. 1 CPU for AF alone; the other for camera functionality and data. Roughly 3.5x faster than the E-M1 MkI.
    better IBIS,
    better DR,
    better noise at all ISOs,
    somewhat higher resolution - specially in Hi-Res mode,
    far better video implementation than previously,
    flippy screen,
    dual cards (UHS-II + UHS-1) with the ability to write to either, both, etc (features that have been on high end CanNikon bodies for years ... ),
    card folder management and choice of where to write what,
    far bigger capacity battery - very important with mirrorless,
    even more customisable feature set and controls,
    ability to write camera settings to computer for re-installation after f/w update/service/etc,

Many other major and minor improvements.

Looks to be a stunning upgrade to my E-M1 MkI, which is a fantastic camera in its own right. I will keep it as a second, walk around body, probably with the minute 14-42 EZ collapsible pancake zoom on it. Basically a live-in-the-car setup.
    No SWMBO issues here .

I have the EM-1 and the initial reports on the MkII did not fill me with the desire to ditch the Mk1 and rush out for a MkII . Most of the press seemed to focus on the faster autofocus , particularly in auto-tracking mode and also the faster high-speed shot mode . It seemed they are targeting the pro-sports market.

I have not really had any problem with the speed of AF on my EM-1 and generally find IQ and performance very good.

I actually thought the bigger battery was a disadvantage as I also have an EM-5 and both take the same battery so I can interchange between them . Upgrading to the MKII means carrying around two sets of different batteries , and probably a new charger! If not happy with battery life I think just carrying an extra battery that can be used between the two cameras is a better solution.

The above list of improved features does however make me a little more inclined to upgrade , but still its not something I have to do . I will probably wait a few years and get a bit more use out of my current EM-1 .
    The name is Brad ......

OMD EM-1, OMD EM-5MkII, m.Zuiko 12-40mm Pro f2.8, m.Zuiko 40-150mm f2.8 Pro , m.Zuiko 60mm f2.8 Macro, m.Zuiko 17mm f1.8 , Lee Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping I can convince my better half that I need the kit with the 12-100 lens, but that wouldn't be before next year after the prices have come down & there is a bonus grip or cash back. My E-M1 came in 2014 with a $200 price drop & a $300 CashBack, so I'm really hoping it (E-M1 Mk II & 12-100 f4 lens) will be in a reachable price range by then. I really would like one Pro lens, being the 12-100 & then the other lenses (50-200 SWD particularly) should focus better on this Mk II body.
    Last edited by Ross the fiddler; 16-10-2016 at 11:20pm.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1/HLD-7, Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5/HLD-6.
    Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 9 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone been able to source information on how the new sensor performs and if it's much of a step up from the 16mp sensor? I can't find anything on the net as yet. Keen to start saving up for this if it rates highly.
    Cheers, Wes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been missing due to work commitments, and the camera has been lonely as well. The E5 is now getting a little long in the tooth may need to look at one of these to revitalise.
    Website - McGoo Photography
    Sean | Olympus E5 | Olympus e620 | Zuiko 7-14 | Zuiko 35-100 SHG | Zuiko 14-54 | Zuiko 70-300 | OM 50mm | Panagor macro converter | CPL filter | FL-50R flash |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olympuse620 View Post
    I have been missing due to work commitments, and the camera has been lonely as well. The E5 is now getting a little long in the tooth may need to look at one of these to revitalise.
    The E-M1 has been great, but this E-M1 Mark II should be much better than 'great' though. I suspect the price for the Mk II may be similar to the E-5 level since our dollar has gone down to what it was when the E-M1 came out, plus Olympus has said it will cost 'slightly more' (a lot more than slight for us though) than the E-M1 at launch which was $1599 late 2013 when our dollar was at parity with US$ & at that value now it would be $2100, so slightly more could be $2300 to $2600. That's a bit of an 'Ouch!' for me, but I'm hoping.
    Maybe next year when the price has come down & there's a cash back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafy82 View Post
    Has anyone been able to source information on how the new sensor performs and if it's much of a step up from the 16mp sensor? I can't find anything on the net as yet. Keen to start saving up for this if it rates highly.
    Cheers, Wes
    Here is one that is part way there. http://rohnfelder.de/olympus_em1m2/?lang=en

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
    Here is one that is part way there. http://rohnfelder.de/olympus_em1m2/?lang=en
    Cheers, I'll check it out now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pricing announced on FB today

The revolution is here #OMDrevolution.
    Officially announcing the release of the OM-D E-M1 Mark II flagship model, our most advanced interchangeable lens camera ever.
    www.olympus.com.au/OMDrevolution
    Available mid-December | RRP $2799AUD $3199NZD

http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/I...rk-II/Overview

Anyone want to buy a kidney?

Would absolutely love to try it with the 40-150/2.8 shooting sports ....especially netball & athletics..... but that would be an eye-watering $4300
    Might have to stick with the old D3 for sports for a while yet
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Gallery
    Even More Pics

Ausphotography Regular bcys1961's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $2800 for the body only is a bit steep , but if no one buys it the price will come down . Wait for the early adopters with more money than sense to clear out of the market and then pick it up a better price in 12 months time .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcys1961 View Post
    $2800 for the body only is a bit steep , but if no one buys it the price will come down . Wait for the early adopters with more money than sense to clear out of the market and then pick it up a better price in 12 months time .
    That's what I'm hoping for & when there is a bonus or cashbash offer to go with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a really interesting/bold move by Olympus. Basically the same price as the Nikon D500 body only. The performance really needs to be outstanding at that price level to get much uptake.

I agree with the wait sentiment. At that starting price I'll be grabbing one when the MK 111 is announced ;-)

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DigiDirect have an Olympus sponsored kit with the 12-100 for $3,579. Amounts to a discount of about $900 compared with buying each separately.

Thread with details here:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...alia-AUD-3-579

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast