Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Heading to Cambodia

Moember formerly known as : Ghostbat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heading to Cambodia

I am looking at heading to Cambodia late next year...humid season .

I will be doing 2 weeks of macro work in the rainforest and 2 weeks in Siem Reap area doing general photography (temples,people, landscapes, electrical wiring etc)

Apart from moisture silicon for cases against humidity and equipment insurance...any help would be most appreciated

GB
    PHOTOS!!!!!! or it didn't happen

Member formerly known as : Lplates Glenda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late in the year shouldn't be too bad as it's their autumn/winter - not that it gets very cold, but usually not much rain in October onwards. We visited Vietnam in June - hot and humid and just used silicon sachets in my camera bag and had no problems.
    Glenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electrical wiring. It's an eye opener over there.

Not much else to add, sorry.
    D5200 D7100 Limited talent, but lots of enthusiasm.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are going to use more than one lens on any given day a way to stop humidity getting into gear is to carry two bodies so you don't have to change lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd suggest the silicon sachets as well. Nothing worse than having moisture show up where you don't want it.
    Cheers, Travis

D750 | Tamron 90 Macro | Tamron 24-70

flickr | 500px

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbat View Post
    I am looking at heading to Cambodia late next year...humid season .

I will be doing 2 weeks of macro work in the rainforest and 2 weeks in Siem Reap area doing general photography (temples,people, landscapes, electrical wiring etc)

Apart from moisture silicon for cases against humidity and equipment insurance...any help would be most appreciated

GB
    Non photographically, sign up to the goverment smart traveller alerts for Cambodia. 110v electricity in cities. Villages are often 12v battery only. Almost no land-lines.
    Rolling black-outs in the cities happens multiple times a week, power can be out for several hours at a time.
    US$ widely accepted and local Cambodia Riel. Last time I was there it was 4100 riel to 1 US$. Khmer is pronouced "C-my" not "c-mare" or "kemer".
    "Sock-sa-buy chee-ah-tey" is a greeting. It is efectively "Are you well?" A positive responce is ""Sock-sah-by". Locals have shortend the greeting part to just "Sock-sah-by".
    Khmer and French widely spoken, older people more French, younger people more English.
    Population 98% buddhist.

S21 genocide museum is a must see, the killing fields and Angkor Wat are all a must. S21 is a real eye opener.
    D5500 18-55 & 55-300mm, Intervalometre/remote, Cokin filters I never use and a pocket Fuji camera 14Mp with 3x optical & my Samsung Galaxy S5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been to the country, but I just wanna say have fun! And I look forward to the macro goodies These tropical Asian countries have all the unreal critters with brilliant colours & displays. BTW, did you sign up for a macro workshop?
    And I'm sure you already know about this, but don't drink the tap water
    Last edited by piczzilla; 19-06-2017 at 11:56am.
    https://www.instagram.com/piczzilla

D800 || Sigma Macro 105mm f2.8 || Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 || Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 || various trinkets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piczzilla View Post
    And I'm sure you already know about this, but don't drink the tap water
    WOW ! I can't believe I forgot to mention that. Never drink the tap water or any drink with ice in it. You will wear out several pairs of shoes with toilet trips otherwise.

Carry a roll of toilet paper with you also. It's very common over there, just not in loo's. It's mosty usded like we use tissues. ALWAYS have a roll in the bottom of your bag, even in the cities.