Hi All

Having just moved back to Australia i have just purchased a new vehicle.

In the past having had an expensive motorcycle stolen and never recovered, I have been investigating the option of attaching a small GPS tracker to my new vehicle. It seems there a few standard units available with the option of a standard plug and play unit that plugs into the diagnostic outlet of most modern day vehicles. I see the downside of this plug and play unit in the fact the plugs are just under the steering column and probably be the first place a thief would look to find one.

Other units are hardwired to the vehicle in more discrete places. The cost of monitoring the device range from the cost of a sim card which you pay data charges on to a fully monitored system which is tracked via software on the web via a PC, tablet or smart phone. These costs are reasonable at around $20 per month with includes the data charges.

There are a multitude of companies out there offering this service. Has anybody had any experience with this type of GPS tracking and could make any recommendations?

I could even see the opportunity of sowing one of these small devices into my camera bag so it ever got lifted at least I would be able to track the bag (and hopefully the contents are still inside). How hard would it be to have the camera GPS tracked via software?

This seems to be the way of the future and I am surprised more insurance companies are not encouraging it with discounted monitoring plans in their insurance contracts.