Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Freelance Photography

Moember formerly known as : Ghostbat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freelance Photography

I am looking at starting my own Freelance Photography business. Just something extra when I have days off.

Is the market flooded? I have heard conflicting stories

I am also aware that it will be hard to get into, but like I said, it won't be the bread winner. Just pocket money

Or would working for cash in hand by word of mouth be better

GB
    Last edited by Fettator; 28-08-2016 at 8:36am.
    PHOTOS!!!!!! or it didn't happen

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As a beginner, I would say forget it.

Get your skills up, including post processing, and then revisit the idea. Cause until your photography and editing skills are good, you are not going to succeed.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree with Rick - you really need to get your skills up first, even for pocket money. There is a lot of competition out there and unless you are producing top quality images then you won't get a look in.

Going by the images you have posted on the forum so far, you have a bit of a way to go. The best way to get your skills up is by getting out there and taking your self through different photographic techniques until you have mastered them. Posting images in the AP forums for critique is another great way to learn both for technique and post processing skills.
    CAMERA: Nikon D800, Nikon D7000
    LENSES: AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Macro, Sigma 10 - 20mm F/4 - 5.6, Sigma 150 - 500mm F/5 - 6.3 APO DG OS, Nikkor 18 - 200mm F/3.5 - 5.6 VRII,
    Sigma 70 - 200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron SP 24 - 70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG, Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm F/4 ED VR, Nikkor AF-S 200-500 f/5..6E ED VR
    MY WEBSITES: www.nawimages.com, http://nelliewajzerphotography.smugmug.com/, http://NellieWajzerPhotography.blogspot.com

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but i have to agree with Rick,
    Unfortunately the Photography world is rather "full" of professional photographers who , in my eyes are anything BUT professional. Now im not saying you couldn't make it one day, I just think more practice, more confidence ( trust me , stepping into the world of wedding photography is VERY daunting ) more exposure to different techniques and styles will help you in so many ways. First step i would suggest is to actually start posting some more of your images so the AP community can have a look and help you steer in the right direction ( this is something I do constantly as Im always learning ). Think of it this way ,would you go to a mechanic who has little or no training and ask him/her to work on your beloved car? or would you go to a reputable mechanic be it word of mouth or quality of there work ? I know where i would go.. So stick at it, post LOTS of photos for CC ( the best way to learn ) learn your camera back to front, learn about LIGHT and how to utilise it.
    long live

http://www.birdphotographyworkshops.com.au

Canon R7, and a lot of other bits and bobs

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am well aware that I have a way to go. I am well aware that my skills need improving. That is something that I am doing over a couple of years.

What I wanted to know if the market was flooded as I have heard conflicting reports. If so, it won't even be looked at

GB

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbat View Post
    I am well aware that I have a way to go. I am well aware that my skills need improving. That is something that I am doing over a couple of years.

What I wanted to know if the market was flooded as I have heard conflicting reports. If so, it won't even be looked at

GB
    which market? Your region? wedding photographers? postcards? landscapes? World-wide stock images?

First you need to work out what YOUR market is, who the demographic is that you are going to sell to. Then when you know what your market is likely to be, then you can start looking at whether there is opportunity for another photographer in it.

You need to look at where you want to do your photography and what the market is like for where you will be selling. Cause what the market is in Melbourne, can be different to the market in Adelaide, both of which can be different to the market in Canberra, or Airlie Beach. There is no 'market is flooded' unless you define what that market is in the first place. And then even within regions, there might be a heap of galleries selling landscapes and abstracts in one place, but there is a need for a wedding photographer. This is not something we can tell you, you need to do the research and find out:

What is my region?
    How many photographers are working in it?
    What genres are they shooting?
    Is there a gap in the market?
    Does that gap mean it is missing and is needed, or is it that people in the region are just not interested in the photography that is missing?
    Who are the buyers? tourists, families, single people, high earners, low income?
    How do I market to these people? Are they avid facebook users, or do they need mail drops. Do they read the local newspapers?

You have yourself a nice little project here to work on, whilst you improve your photography skills.
    Last edited by ricktas; 28-08-2016 at 12:06pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thanks. More stuff to do

But yes. Thank you for that. It has given me some research to do

GB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disclaimer: amateur speaking here

If you're interested in shooting portraits, start with friends and families. Gradually improve from there and occasionally measure your shots against professionals. When you're confident enough, let your test subjects spread the word or put up some samples on facebook.

That said, I need to mention it's not for everyone. To survive in that industry, I think you need some kind of ironclad courage to withstand the pressures. I did a few photography jobs in the past (various portrait jobs - weddings, concerts, families, babies, etc) - clients were happy but I was exhausted as hell (physically & mentally) and received some trauma from the pressures - enough to make me steer clear of portraits ever since. I'd say there is some market for portraits (even for non-wedding - couples/families/kids/babies/etc). If you make your clients happy, they will do your marketing for you and new clients will seek you out.

And again, it's not for everyone (certainly not for me), but you'll never know until you try. All the best.
    Last edited by piczzilla; 28-08-2016 at 3:00pm.
    https://www.instagram.com/piczzilla

D800 || Sigma Macro 105mm f2.8 || Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 || Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 || various trinkets

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbat View Post
    I am looking at starting my own Freelance Photography business.
    So while others can talk about photography I'd suggest doing some sort of a business course. Not much point in taking wonderful photos and selling them to people if it's not going to make you money.

Quote Originally Posted by paulheath View Post
    Think of it this way ,would you go to a mechanic who has little or no training and ask him/her to work on your beloved car? or would you go to a reputable mechanic be it word of mouth or quality of there work ? I know where i would go.
    Shit, we bought a new car last year and we can't really choose who does the services to keep the warranty going. If only they needed a photog to advertise their work.
    Last edited by Mark L; 31-08-2016 at 10:36pm. Reason: zpellin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice from Rick. Work out your target market. Find your niche.
    Some places ( like here in Townsville) there is a glut of 'portrait' photographers for example. Someone gets a midrange DSLR and a 50mm for Christmas and suddenly they're doing baby shoots and portraits. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it will be hard work competing and making a few dollars.
    My advice is don't be a one trick pony - gain additional skills that complement your photography. Eg. I can write reasonably well. So when I go on a camping trip, I research the place, take good photos, write a short travel story. I have been mainly submitting to the same 4wd magazine, as they pay well and are good to deal with, but there are multiple mags one can submit work to. I've also had work published in fishing magazines and a camper trailer magazine.
    A bloke I work with does woodturning. He submits stories and photos to an overseas woodturning magazine.
    Paper magazines in many genres are not dead yet, and online magazines and Web sites need content. Freelance writing and photography make a good combination. That is one example of broadening your skills beyond photography.
    You could also study graphic design, which will also complement your photography ( which obviously still needs to be very good) and open up more opportunities.

sent from Earth via tapatalk
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts