Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apple I-Phone WOES

Oh, WOE is me!

I'm doing a crash course in iPhone (5). Here's the problem:
    It says there's ~16GB of internal storage, but I'm down to ~ 1GB.

On looking through the options (silly me, I thought there was a storage card inside it)
    it seems I can ONLY back up to an I-cloud ---- or something like that. Thing is, there are NOT that
    many pictures in the phone (a couple of dozen or so). What the [cheese*] is it storing?
    What would I even be able to upload?

Any pointers would be appreciated. I have already decided I would NEVER - no, that's too soon - get an
    iPhone.

Why all this bother? The person involved is a visitor, with a Nikon Exilim capable of 14 MP output that is
    ABsolute CARP, and an iPhone that's significantly better (and even with less MPx). The first has ACRES of
    storage, the iPhone not much left.

Ta.
    Am(a bit like ).
    *You may choose another word.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this would help. I had this exact problem with my Samsung awhile ago. Very few things were stored in the phone, yet the storage was indicated as full After asking some advice from Dr. Google, I realized the phone was in fact full with junks (junks from app installations, cache, etc). So, Dr. Google told me to download some cleaner app (I used Clean Master), and voila! All good.
    https://www.instagram.com/piczzilla

D800 || Sigma Macro 105mm f2.8 || Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 || Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 || various trinkets

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Picz. I'd probably do something like that, but since it's not my phone I would not
    like to try it. The pics I can see inside it only take up 300MB of 16GB storage

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to settings - general - storage & iCloud usage - manage storage. It will show you where the storage is being used so you know what needs to be deleted to clear out the space.

Also remember that the phone is 16GB but the OS takes up a portion so they won't have the full 16GB available.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid question, but have ya tried turning it off and back on again? .... works for 99% of all problems, that, and hit it with a hammer

Cheers -
    If you replace the 'W' with 'T' in When, Where and What, you get the answer for each question.
    CC more than welcome. Remember, I can't be offended so go for it. Feel free to post your ideas with an edit if you have time. Thanks in advance.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Stupid question, but have ya tried turning it off and back on again? .... works for 99% of all problems, that, and hit it with a hammer

Cheers -
    Avoid the hammer trick with phones. Doesn't work that well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am, sorry for not mentioning the details - I actually only used the app once before uninstalling it. It cleared up almost 10 GB of junks, and I haven't had any need for it again since.
    Last edited by piczzilla; 23-08-2016 at 10:54pm.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta guys. MM, I checked that, but as it meant little to me and as it was not mine, I did not change anything.
    I came up with a logical analog of the hammer - ignore the phone for pics and use a camera instead. As I said,
    it's not mine.

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not going to be doing this with somebody else's phone of course, but when an iPhone starts to fill up like that the best solution is to back it up, then blank it and reinstall everything. Only takes a few minutes and usually makes a big difference.

16 GB is painfully little storage for a phone these days though. My phone is 16 GB and I've had to more or less give up on keeping photos on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of things to check.

If the phone has been used to send lots of picture/video messages this can chew up the memory real fast. I recently cleaned up 5GB just by deleting SMS messages. (Warning if the user hasn't saved said images from messages they will be gone for ever!)

The phone user may have deleted old photos and videos but they may not have deleted them from the deleted items folder in the gallery, this also contributes to storage used.

Suggest user copies all images important to them to a cloud storage site via and iphone app, i.e. dropbox, onedrive, photobucket etc etc.
    Cheers
    Jeremy

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ta Jim and also Jeremy. That looks exactly like what's needed. I will let the owner know, but meanwhile I have supplied a camera for her to use.
    The phone's IQ is questionable.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    speaking of Apple and iPod, I received a popup from apple this morning for a update. As I have been doing this for years, I clicked ok. It down loaded the update and then asked me if I wanted to down load cloud, I said yes, it downloaded and switched off to reboot. The reboot came up with the motherboard info and then nothing...........My computer is in the shop for a few days.
    I have been taking photos for 50 years. I am now trying to get into Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a severe case of BAD APPLE!