Firstly:
Stupid Nikon. No! actually make that STUPID <insert every known expletive here> Nikon!!!

Earlier this year, the 10 pin port on my D800E collapsed in on itself.
Whilst I had a little bit of time, I emailed Nikon (lack of)support type folks via their website.
A few email exchanges later, and to my complete surprise they deny fault, in that the product was faulty.

Now, firstly(for the second time ) I do use the 10 pin port a lot. In fact 99% of the time.
But I don't abuse it, just regular usage, where I slot in my easy to slot in bluetooth module(and I used to use the intervalometer doodad remote for a while too).
There is no pressure on the port in doing so, goes in easy, out easy.
Background history: I've used this bluetooth dongle on the D300 since about '09 .. and with much more regular usage(again, never abusive). D300's 10 pin port is still fine!

So after a few emails to Nikon's absent service support political advisor(ie. the spokesperson that effects all denial routines!) .. it was easier just to bypass them and go it alone.

Even tho in one of my replies to the Nikon folks with about three(at least, maybe more!) well known internet based transcripts of the exact same failure on other D800's of the same vintage, they still claim a denial of any impropriety on their manufacturing plants part.

FWIW: here's a link to probably the most widely read article re this issue.

D800 10 pin connector issue

Nikon won!
They wore me down till I couldn't accept their ineptitude any longer.

I finally had the time(synchronised perfectly with a vague memory of having something important to do! ) to take it to a repairer to look at it.
Very importantly for me .. a non Nikon authorised repairer.

I've almost totally given up on Nikon. They've had so much bad press over the past 4+ years, with the D800's, D600's, D750's .. and countless whatever other models/products and so on .. you'd kind'a think they may actually attempt to fix what is obvciously a well known issue globally! ... thus minimising(hopefully eliminating) any further impact on more potential long term customers.

They've basically forced me to eliminate future Nikon products from my things I need list.
Funny thing is, I'm not angry or mad in any way, just disheartened that a company with so much teetering on the about to lose big time tightrope, simply refuses to believe that they are about too.

I'm just one small fry customer that may spend about $5000K every 3-5 years to so, on new Nikon gear. So in the scheme of things, I'm small fry.
But, add up all the other small frys around the globe, plus new major products that appear to be another backward step(see D3400!) .. and Nikon's reputation is seriously going to be on the brink in no time at all.

I really really wanted to update the D300 to what appears to be a great camera in the D500. I was this >< close to getting one about a month ago .. then I remembered the D800 problem.
So far the D500 seems to be mostly problem free, apart from the major battery stuff up(where it's a lottery on whether your other so called compatible type batteries may or may not work in it).

Pass! ..
Nikon's loss of just that one more $3k customer .. again!
I'm sure my small fry problems mean nothing to Nikon at the moment. No problem.
I'm thinking that there's a real chance that one day in the future, they'll come to regret the choices they made in the way they treated their (current) customers. But I also believe that unless their corporate honchos actively change this current path now, this is going to be inevitable.
How many small fry customers does it take to close down a once corporate giant(it's not a joke, it's a hypothetical!! ). I suppose we'll find out one day.

Anyhow, D800E is currently at a (as yet to be named) repairer.
If all goes well and the repair price is reasonable, I'll give them a plug on here too.

ps. I was going to give it a go myself, but this is my main camera and I don't want to stuff it any more than it already is.
D300 is expendable now(will get converted to UV/IR one day) and D70s is on the waiting table for 'a major transplant' one day soon as well.