User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  10

Thread: Yengo Camp out...astro... Expressions of interest?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yengo Camp out...astro... Expressions of interest?

Yengo Camp out.

Went out with the 4WDs yesterday and was taken through Yengo National Park.
    The views from the lookout was phenomenal.
    All I could think of was how the Milky Way would look arched over that mountain range on the western horizon.

A short distance from the lookout is the Finchley Campground.
    The camp ground has toilets, but no shower.
    There are plenty of camp sites and the old BBQs that use old fashioned wood. Rustic.

I have been using google and am finding quite a lot of interesting sites in that area and I will try to spend a bit of time there as the weather warms.
    (Google has it listed as part of QLD... it's actually only a bit over an hour away from Somersby, NSW)
    https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/S...-32.980236!3e0

Using the 'DarkSiteFinder' (Thank you @basketballfreak6 for posting this link in another thread)
    http://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html

The Yengo Park is only two shades from really dark. So I am expecting some bright dark skys... well, if you know what I mean

I was thinking some time in the next few weeks and would have to be during the week for me, I am not available weekends (but that certainly doesn't stop others from doing the same trip on a weekend if that is convenient for them).

Pretty sure the coldest part of the year is behind us and spring has the birds out and very active, so much more than just astro available for any interested in going.
    I will also suggest that if able, try leaving very early in the morning. The drive through the valleys and past the farm lands in the early morning is magical and the area is full of wildlife.

So this is just a thought at this stage and just checking for any that may be interested in the camp out.
    Short notice and with most modern camp sites having full amenities available... this will be an old fashioned "Ruffing It" situation.
    Bring plenty of water. No taps/running water.
    I should also add that the track is probably accessible with a two wheel drive car, but only if you don't like your car much. Better with a 4WD. Not all that difficult a drive, just very dusty red dirt, winding track. Suggest car pooling from Somersby.

I can't wait!
    Last edited by JDuding; 18-08-2016 at 11:27pm.

Nikon D7200 (still dreaming of a D810)
    Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED
    Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM
    Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM (C)
    Panasonic HDC-HS900 35mm 3MOS 14.2 HD Camcorder.