Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Canon EOS5DMkIV

Ausphotography Regular basketballfreak6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Hmm... Not a problem I've noticed, but I'm rarely using the outside AF points anyway. I'll have to give it a try and see if mine has the same issue.
    yea it's strange, i can even notice it on my 16-35 f4 with such big DOF, it's more prominent when shooting closer as well obviously due to smaller DOF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfreak6 View Post
    sorry been away for a while, but experienced a weird issue with my 5D4 and had to send it away, gone for a whole month, basically with more shooting i noticed the outer af points consistently front focuses compared to centre point with all my L's (24-70II, 70-200II, 100L and 16-35f4L IS)

Canon ended up having to test every single AF point individually including the vertical, horizontal and cross arrays individually on all my lenses at different focal lengths to make adjustments

just got it back today did some quick tests and seems fixed now

shot from today. (well yesterday now lol), 9 image shot vertically at 16mm stitched, exposed for sky foreground pushed ~3 stops in post

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5780/2...efba119d_b.jpgBrisbane Skyline Pano by Tony, on Flickr
    - - - Updated - - -

You had to send a brand new Camera in for a month?You must be a Saint!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HughD View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

You had to send a brand new Camera in for a month?You must be a Saint!
    yea...it was originally meant to be a week, then kept getting delayed...spoke to tech team leader apparently someone lost part of testing data so they had to start over...

wasn't too pleased that i paid early adopter fee and didn't get to use it lol...oh wells stuff happens i guess

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had mine for a few shoots now and taking it to Canada to put it through its paces
    I haven't tested dual pixel RAW capabilites so I can't comment
    I am VERY happy with the fact that its dynamic range is now practically same as the a7r2. I can push 3 stops shadows and though a bit grainy , isn't the mushy mess canon sensors used to give me
    The AF is very cool to play with - shooting in a dark auditorium for APSCON, it picked up focus points in the dark far easier than my mk3
    The live view tracking is amazing! so much so that for moving subjects I think I will be shooting in live view. That is, once you turn live view on and face tracking, touch the face on the LCD and it will follow that face around the screen everywhere while you click away. Hoping to put this to use for photographing the kids in the snow and potentially any wildlife we see.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan & Marianne View Post
    I've had mine for a few shoots now and taking it to Canada to put it through its paces
    I haven't tested dual pixel RAW capabilites so I can't comment
    I am VERY happy with the fact that its dynamic range is now practically same as the a7r2. I can push 3 stops shadows and though a bit grainy , isn't the mushy mess canon sensors used to give me
    The AF is very cool to play with - shooting in a dark auditorium for APSCON, it picked up focus points in the dark far easier than my mk3
    The live view tracking is amazing! so much so that for moving subjects I think I will be shooting in live view. That is, once you turn live view on and face tracking, touch the face on the LCD and it will follow that face around the screen everywhere while you click away. Hoping to put this to use for photographing the kids in the snow and potentially any wildlife we see.
    agreed, the extra DR (mainly clean shadows) and the live view AF are just awesome

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone bought the 5D4 as a kit with the 24-105 MkII? If so, what are your thoughts?
    I'm going to buy the 5D4 before Xmas but not sure whether to also swap my Mk I 24-105 for the Mk II version... to be honest, I rarely use the 24-105 for anything other than family snaps, hence why I'm wavering...
    Richard
    Canon 5D4 & 7D2 | 11-24 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L | 100-400 L II | 85 f/1.2 L | 35 f/1.4 L II | 100 f/2.8 L macro | MP-E 65 f/2.8 macro | 1.4x | 580EX2 | MT-24 Twin Lite | Manfrotto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this,

My camera is paired with a EF 24-70 F2.8L II, and during my video shoot while focus tracking, the focusing mechanism is loud, the microphones pick up shuddering noise from the USM motor, almost like it's hunting. In photo mode, dead quiet even in live view, and the focusing is fine.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aVex View Post
    I'm wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this,

.... and during my video shoot while focus tracking, the focusing mechanism is loud, the microphones pick up shuddering noise from the USM motor, almost like it's hunting. ....
    I doubt you're the only one finding this effect.

The microphone on the camera is very sensitive, and best not used unless it's vitally important.
    I recently advised this to another member about video, but the best way to capture video is always externally.
    Trying to do it via a separate capture device is subsequently hard to sync(but can be done in professional grade video editing suite(like Adobe's Premiere).
    Best option for the average joe is to find a decent quality but affordable shotgun mic at the least. It should have a wind sock of some type to make it usable.

If you want to use the onboard mic because that's all you have, to 'eliminate' camera noises, you'd have to shoot in manual mode and focus manually.
    manual focusing can be dead quiet, but you have to careful with it that you don't shuffle your hand around the camera/lens body, or you will hear that noise too!
    You hold your hand under the lens body in a deliberate and ready to focus manner(ie. try not to use just your fingers) and maintain a good grip. You won't hear the turning of the focus ring via the camera's onboard mic, but if you shuffle your hand (eg. from focus ring to zoom ring) you will hear that noise.

I remember that Canon made a bit of noise(pardon the pun) about the introduction of a new consumer level lens that was ultra quiet .. specifically for this purpose.
    Can't remember which one tho(a more knowledgeable Canonite may come along and held there) .. but this is the reason why!
    If you have other lenses to test, almost 99.999% certain they'll all make the same ... or worse ... or maybe slightly less worse .. noises too.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=arthurking
    If you have other lenses to test, almost 99.999% certain they'll all make the same ... or worse ... or maybe slightly less worse .. noises too.[/QUOTE]

Wow is that the best fence sitter quote I have seen?
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boggo View Post
    I picked up my mark iv yesterday. .. I also upgraded my 70-200 2.8 from version 1 to 2. After 20 shots today of the kids, all I can say is I am glad I upgraded. I do think the sharpness, noise, resolution etc is noticeably better than what i had before
    Have fun; would have been interesting to know how much of the improvement came from the upgraded lens and how much from the camera.. what the heck ENJOY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the bomb!
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter.
    Ansel Adams

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How happy are you with your 5D Mark IV?
    Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a general question Dolina? Or to someone in particular? I'd be hard pressed to fault mine. It's an extraordinarily capable and well-designed machine, with stunning output.
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfreak6 View Post
    latest spec here:
    http://www.canonrumors.com/full-spec...os-5d-mark-iv/

i am super excited about the new dual pixel function (if true), namely ability to shift point of focus in post (like Lytro), also f/8 and -3EV (-4EV in LV) AF points...

combined that with the new sensor and (expected) shadow performance this is day 1 preorder for me, some real game changers here
    I have seen two reviews on the dual pixel now, one by Tony Northrup and cant remember the other reviewer and fair to say it is a little disappointing and has limited use. It also is more taxing on the camera, file size etc. Having said that there are many other features much improved I would consider upgrading for if I had that bag of money I needed. My 5D3 is a more than capable camera and I still love it and are content with it, however, that doesnt stop me getting some new model envy
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
    Is that a general question Dolina? Or to someone in particular? I'd be hard pressed to fault mine. It's an extraordinarily capable and well-designed machine, with stunning output.
    Tony, the question is addressed to all owners of the 5D Mark IV.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Dolina.

Back in 1878, Leo Tolstoy answered that question better than I can when he wrote: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

There is very little to say about the 5D IV. It delivers wonderful picture quality without the slightest fuss. It's as small and light as you could reasonably expect a camera of this class to be; it has very nearly all the features I can think of that are useful to me, and a lot of features that I'll never use but might be useful to someone else; the Canon user interface has been refined and polished and improved and refined again over the 15 years since the pioneering D60 was released and is very nearly perfect.

The sensor is a joy: examine this example -

(Resized full-frame image from a 5D IV and 100-400 II. Not cropped or post-processed. ISO 400, f/8, 1/2500th.)

(100% crop, still not post-processed in any way. Now it's far from a perfect picture, but considering the insane crop involved, it's pretty amazing just the same.)

Plus it is compatible with, all things considered, the best range of lenses on the market. It might strike you as a bit expensive, but when you consider how much better it is than pretty much anything else in the Canon range - in many regards superior to the 1D X II at twice the price - it is more properly regarded as a bargain.

There are tasks for which another model might be better suited, in particular the 7D II (birding), the 80D (macro), and either the 7D II or the 1D X II (action sport), and for many uses a much cheaper model might be equally useful - I'd rather have an 80D and a quality lens than a 5D IV and a cheap one - but for all-round quality and value, I reckon it can't be beat.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very deep. Thank you for taking time to reply.

Cheers Dolina.

Back in 1878, Leo Tolstoy answered that question better than I can when he wrote: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

There is very little to say about the 5D IV. It delivers wonderful picture quality without the slightest fuss. It's as small and light as you could reasonably expect a camera of this class to be; it has very nearly all the features I can think of that are useful to me, and a lot of features that I'll never use but might be useful to someone else; the Canon user interface has been refined and polished and improved and refined again over the 15 years since the pioneering D60 was released and is very nearly perfect.

http://tannin.net.au/other/ap/2017/1...3128-1_640.jpg

(Resized full-frame image from a 5D IV and 100-400 II. Not cropped or post-processed. ISO 400, f/8, 1/2500th.)

http://tannin.net.au/other/ap/2017/1...128-1_crop.jpg

(100% crop, still not post-processed in any way. Now it's far from a perfect picture, but considering the insane crop involved, it's pretty amazing just the same.)

Plus it is compatible with, all things considered, the best range of lenses on the market. It might strike you as a bit expensive, but when you consider how much better it is than pretty much anything else in the Canon range - in many regards superior to the 1D X II at twice the price - it is more properly regarded as a bargain.

There are tasks for which another model might be better suited, in particular the 7D II (birding), the 80D (macro), and either the 7D II or the 1D X II (action sport), and for many uses a much cheaper model might be equally useful - I'd rather have an 80D and a quality lens than a 5D IV and a cheap one - but for all-round quality and value, I reckon it can't be beat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dolina View Post
    How happy are you with your 5D Mark IV?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew09 View Post
    I have seen two reviews on the dual pixel now, one by Tony Northrup and cant remember the other reviewer and fair to say it is a little disappointing and has limited use. It also is more taxing on the camera, file size etc. Having said that there are many other features much improved I would consider upgrading for if I had that bag of money I needed. My 5D3 is a more than capable camera and I still love it and are content with it, however, that doesnt stop me getting some new model envy
    yea in the end i never bothered with dual pixel raw lol

in terms of 5D4 vs 3 (which is still a very capable body), i find the files much better to work with on the 4, obviously better shadows/DR in low ISO and even at higher ISO, surprised at how good it looks few times i had to push ISO12800 files in post, nicer noise character and sharper image due to the extra pixels makes it feel like i have a ~1 stop advantage at higher ISO (despite overall amount of noise looking about the same as 3, if that makes sense)

dual pixel AF in live view is just amazing, using it a lot more than i thought i would (if only it had a tilty screen it be perfect)

AF feels just that bit more snappy and confident compared to the 3

on paper probably not the most exciting update over the mk3 but when you actually use it's fantastic, i definitely feel it's a worthy upgrade
    Last edited by basketballfreak6; 21-10-2017 at 10:54pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow!

Cheers Dolina.

http://tannin.net.au/other/ap/2017/1...3128-1_640.jpg

http://tannin.net.au/other/ap/2017/1...128-1_crop.jpg

Nice pics - thanks for sharing.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345