User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  62
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS5DMkIV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a mk3 owner it's great to finally see the next evolution in the 5D line. I'm a little surprised with the choice of card slots though. I thought they might have gone for a faster option. Anyhow I'm sure there will be many people happy with this new body. Looking forward to seeing if they have managed a bump in DR, much like the 1DX mk2.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    The dual pixel RAW looks interesting. Looks like computational imaging is making in-roads into mainstream enthusiast photography.
    It'd certainly come in handy when shooting with my bloody 50L.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll tell you what I did buy though. Two of these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_adapter.html

Even though I currently use the Toshiba FlashAir cards these will allow remote control of the camera, and for USD$40 each, plus postage, they are cheap. Apparently there is a firmware update coming for the 7DMkII and possibly for the 5DMkIII that retro activates these. Looks like they'll do RAW files too if need be, but I'll mostly be using it for small JPEGs, and streaming to customers' smartphones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    As a mk3 owner it's great to finally see the next evolution in the 5D line. I'm a little surprised with the choice of card slots though. I thought they might have gone for a faster option. Anyhow I'm sure there will be many people happy with this new body. Looking forward to seeing if they have managed a bump in DR, much like the 1DX mk2.
    Yes, I thought UHS-II might have been a good choice for the SD slot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look very interesting, where did you hear they might be doing a firmware update for the 5D MK III to activate these?

Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I'll tell you what I did buy though. Two of these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_adapter.html

Even though I currently use the Toshiba FlashAir cards these will allow remote control of the camera, and for USD$40 each, plus postage, they are cheap. Apparently there is a firmware update coming for the 7DMkII and possibly for the 5DMkIII that retro activates these. Looks like they'll do RAW files too if need be, but I'll mostly be using it for small JPEGs, and streaming to customers' smartphones.
    Cheers
    Jeremy

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    They look very interesting, where did you hear they might be doing a firmware update for the 5D MK III to activate these?
    Canon Rumours site, so might be just wishful thinking. Still it only software, so maybe Magic Lantern might offer a solution once they reverse engineer it.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't find it there now. Might have been another of the many rumour sites. If it's not true, I might have a spare adaptor for sale....LOL.

- - - Updated - - -

I see the firmware updates for the 5DS and 5DSr, and the 7D Mk II are on-line now, but nothing for the 5D Mk III. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be able to flog off the spare adaptor I ordered.

https://www.canon.com.au/en-AU/Perso...irmware-update

Ausphotography Regular basketballfreak6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
    I'm a little surprised with the choice of card slots though. I thought they might have gone for a faster option.
    i am quite happy that they stuck to cf/sd instead of going to cfast, but disappointed to see uhs-1 instead of uhs-2 tho

what i was really hoping actually was a bigger buffer, but ~21 raw is not bad i guess

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone been keeping up to date with the body?

Jared Polin posted a few raw files (in DNG format) for download, there is one shot ISO 12800 that's very underexposed with bad recording studio lighting, i had a play and pushed 2 whole stops in lightroom and result still very good, none of the banding and blotchy-ness that you see with the 5D3 sensor, colour retained very well even at such high ISO AND 2 stop push, the ISO 5000 shot which was shot daytime indoor lighting i didn't even feel the need to apply any luminous NR, the noise characteristics looks very good indeed

and there is talks now that the dual pixel raw the 2 "subframes" are recording different information and seems to be recording an extra stop of highlight (which technically is blown out) so with the proper software implementation to access that data we may be getting another stop of DR on what's already looking impressive at the new sensor's ability pushing shadows (see DP review's recent test)

this body is just looking better and better

bring on the 8th, can't wait to get the camera

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Canon 5D bodies since their inception and am still using a 5D I, 5D II, and a 5DsR.
    I can't see the point in picking up a 5D IV.
    It may not have 30 Mp but the 1DX II is not Canon's flagship body for nothing!
    Did you check what most of the togs trackside/ poolside at the Olympics were using?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babu View Post
    I have used Canon 5D bodies since their inception and am still using a 5D I, 5D II, and a 5DsR.
    I can't see the point in picking up a 5D IV.
    It may not have 30 Mp but the 1DX II is not Canon's flagship body for nothing!
    Did you check what most of the togs trackside/ poolside at the Olympics were using?
    No doubt you're surprised every day to see people driving Toyotas and not Bentleys. If I had a 1DxII, I wouldn't be buying a 5DMkIV either, but I can get two 5DMKIVs for the price of one 1DxII.

Account Closed at member's request
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea of dual pixel raw, but I think in its initial stages the degree of focal changes are pretty limited. I suspect this will increase in time. Agree on the buffer though. For $5k they could easily have included twice that in the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt you're surprised every day to see people driving Toyotas and not Bentleys. If I had a 1DxII, I wouldn't be buying a 5DMkIV either, but I can get two 5DMKIVs for the price of one 1DxII.
    yeah...didn't really get the point of that post either, comparing camera that's 2x the cost and targeted at a different user group?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MissionMan View Post
    I like the idea of dual pixel raw, but I think in its initial stages the degree of focal changes are pretty limited. I suspect this will increase in time. Agree on the buffer though. For $5k they could easily have included twice that in the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    uhs-ii sd slot, af linked spot metering, articulated screen, bigger buffer and slightly faster fps and it would be the perfect camera for me, but then i can see it starting to eat into 1 series' sales too so i can only dream lol

- - - Updated - - -

been mucking around in dp reviews studio shot comparison raw chart looking at high iso (focusing at 6400 and 12800) between 5d4, 5d3, a7r2 and d810

my takeaway so far...

compared to d810 and a7r2, having higher res and no aa filter the 2 bodies are perceptibly sharper compared to the 5d4, but not night and day, the differences are there tho if you look for it but again nowhere near deal breaker, the 5d4 looks sharp

compared to 5d3 the 5d4 to me is sharper the same way d810/a7r2 is to the 5d4, while the file looks bit cleaner at iso 6400 on the 5d3 at 12800 5d4 all of sudden looks noticeably better, and i think it's due to the finer noise character of the 5d4 and as well noticeably less chroma noise, compared to the smudgy-ness of the 5d3, the smudge is there too at 6400 on the 5d3 so to me the 5d4 will still have a better file after running thru proper sharpening/nr in post

i think canon's really done a great job balancing low iso DR/increased res/high iso noise with this new sensor in 5d4

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfreak6 View Post
    yeah...didn't really get the point of that post either, comparing camera that's 2x the cost and targeted at a different user group?
    Yeah, more about avoiding becoming inactive than anything else I think. Be nice to see an image posted occasionally though.

- - - Updated - - -

And speaking of UHS-II, check out the price of these 150MB/Sec Lexar cards. Hopefully Canon will catch up with this technology soon.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...00x_uhs_2.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, more about avoiding becoming inactive than anything else I think. Be nice to see an image posted occasionally though.

- - - Updated - - -

And speaking of UHS-II, check out the price of these 150MB/Sec Lexar cards. Hopefully Canon will catch up with this technology soon.

Tend to agree, you're either a 1D customer or not. I don't think they really compete. I do think the pricing on this camera is a little high. It's almost as expensive as buying both a D810 and D500.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- - - Updated - - -

looking through early previews and comments makes me think these days there are more armchair experts and keyboard warriors than people actually taking their cameras out taking photos

and yea sd cards have really caught up in performance and are quite a bit cheaper too, wished canon haven't gimped the sd card slot

- - - Updated - - -

Tend to agree, you're either a 1D customer or not. I don't think they really compete. I do think the pricing on this camera is a little high. It's almost as expensive as buying both a D810 and D500.
    price definitely on the high side, but to be fair it is the same launch price as the 5D3 and when you take into the improvements and that it's been 4 years (inflation) and how bad aussie dollar has been i guess it's expected

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by basketballfreak6 View Post
    looking through early previews and comments makes me think these days there are more armchair experts and keyboard warriors than people actually taking their cameras out taking photos

and yea sd cards have really caught up in performance and are quite a bit cheaper too, wished canon haven't gimped the sd card slot

- - - Updated - - -

price definitely on the high side, but to be fair it is the same launch price as the 5D3 and when you take into the improvements and that it's been 4 years (inflation) and how bad aussie dollar has been i guess it's expected
    Yeah, I'm doing more of a comparison to their main competitor which would be Nikon. Obviously people have already bought into Nikon or Canon and are unlikely to switch, but if you're a new buyer , it's going to be hard to justify the $1500 premium when that can buy you a nice piece of glass. I think if they priced themselves down to the $4K mark they would have left themselves in a good position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm doing more of a comparison to their main competitor which would be Nikon. Obviously people have already bought into Nikon or Canon and are unlikely to switch, but if you're a new buyer , it's going to be hard to justify the $1500 premium when that can buy you a nice piece of glass. I think if they priced themselves down to the $4K mark they would have left themselves in a good position.
    yea i have no doubt won't take too long before price drops...again i think the biggest problem is how weak our aussie dollar is atm hahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would really love to have a play with one of these.
    It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Canon 5D MKIII, Canon 550D, 70-200 Canon, 150-500 Sigma, 24-105 Canon, 50 Canon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quick test shot at ISO 12800

ran raw file through DPP and exported as TIFF then edited in LR5

sharpning 85, luma nr 25 and colour nr 25

early impressions in terms of performance, auto focus snappy AF, locks on even in very dark light, focus seems good with my sigma 50 art out of box no adjustment required, 7 fps sounds faster than it should

think i am in love

5D mk IV ISO 12800 by Tony, on Flickr
    Last edited by basketballfreak6; 08-09-2016 at 11:22pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and here she is :P

5D Mark IV + EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II by Tony, on Flickr

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm jealous. Have they sped up that SD slot any from the Mk III?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I'm jealous. Have they sped up that SD slot any from the Mk III?
    up to 104MB/sec i believe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast