User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you done your census?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well the ABS have released the first census data from last night.

The population of Australia according to the most recent census data is 72.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ will go up to 74. Posting our paper copy tomorrow.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, at last. We were away. The hosts at "away" had no idea either. We missed the "census person" who
    had been doing the rounds and raced back to meet her the following eveing before 7 PM. - At 5:30PM.
    Nope! She didn't come that day. Finally, we decided to get on with our holiday, and
    lo and behold, she came and delivered a heap of forms. So, somehow we managed, and this morning we
    heard "all about it". Before we left I tried calling every number I could to contact the ABS - no hope.
    All "call back later". Sent an on-line enquiry and got a sort of reply some days later.

If that story seems disjointed, blame the ABS
    Last edited by ameerat42; 10-08-2016 at 9:14pm.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprise surprise - census website is back online
    https://www.instagram.com/piczzilla

D800 || Sigma Macro 105mm f2.8 || Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 || Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 || various trinkets

Lightbender
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been reading some interesting tech blogs from people who might have a clue as to what happened. IBM is going to have some 'splaining to do. Apparently they were offered DoS ( Denial of service) , protection which they refused, then when the poo hit the air conditioning some of their log traffic was thought to be data being stolen from the ABS. The whole thing will have some heads rolling I think.

Ausphotography Regular Hunter50's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just got the paper form, dropped off by an ABS person. We didn't get any details for the online login. So, it was kept pretty simple at our place.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was all a bit of a yawn really. No probing questions about anything significant. Bit of a waste of time really.

You'd think it would be easy enough to add a couple of questions such as "Do you believe in marriage equality", and "Would you support voluntary Assisted Dying with appropriate safeguards". Why spend humongous amounts on a plebiscite politicians won't even commit to when we're all answering questions anyway!!

Bloody stupid politicians (sorry for the tautology)

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The server was supposed to up again on Thu evening, but nowhere to be found Fri morning
    Looks like the debacle is still in progress!

Cheers,
    Terry

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post

You'd think it would be easy enough to add a couple of questions such as "Do you believe in marriage equality", and "Would you support voluntary Assisted Dying with appropriate safeguards". Why spend humongous amounts on a plebiscite politicians won't even commit to when we're all answering questions anyway!!

Bloody stupid politicians (sorry for the tautology)
    Excellent Bob.
    Then a treaty question?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Excellent Bob.
    Then a treaty question?
    The list is endless. You could ask so many questions about so many things, and really get a clear idea about what the people want (as distinct from what the vested interests want).

Basically the government doesn't want to know what we want, it gets in the way of what they want.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, Bob
    I just pointed out to the state government (feedback form) the folly of charging a merchant's fee
    when renewing rego online. The joque is that if it cost them little to implement that dis-"service",
    it will now cost them much more when I actually go and pay it at the office

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piczzilla View Post
    My thoughts precisely...

I was really surprised when I read some people on this thread did it early
    in the past the instructions read to do it in the evening.
    the letter with our logon code said to do it on Tuesday. so i did ours in the morning, suspecting that government departments being what they are had probably not tested for a couple of million people trying to log on in the evening. I worked as a programmer and operator in 3 Federal departments, that gave me insights most don't have
    why so many left it til the evening to do it i don'tn know. some/ a lot could have done it on their phones or lap tops in their lunch break during the day.
    cc and enjoy

Photography is painting with light

K1, Pentax 18-250mm zoom, Pentax 100mm macro, Sigma 50-500mm, Pentax 28-105mm
    Velbon Sherpa tripod Photoshop CS6

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    Ah, Bob
    I just pointed out to the state government (feedback form) the folly of charging a merchant's fee
    when renewing rego online. The joque is that if it cost them little to implement that dis-"service",
    it will now cost them much more when I actually go and pay it at the office
    I just lodged an online complaint to Telstra who apparently no longer support non computer users. My sister-in-law wanted to set up a direct debit so I went on-line to do it for her, but her email address (which she doesn't have) was mandatory. I then rang and asked them to send her a form, but they don't have paper forms any more. No-one I spoke to was a native English speaker, so i guess those have gone as well. Finally, when i pressed "send" to make my views known, their system told me there was a problem with their software and the message couldn't be sent. I guess that's one way to limit the number of complaints! 8*)

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudman View Post
    in the past the instructions read to do it in the evening.
    the letter with our logon code said to do it on Tuesday. so i did ours in the morning, suspecting that government departments being what they are had probably not tested for a couple of million people trying to log on in the evening. I worked as a programmer and operator in 3 Federal departments, that gave me insights most don't have
    why so many left it til the evening to do it i don'tn know. some/ a lot could have done it on their phones or lap tops in their lunch break during the day.
    I can relate with you. With the budget cut all across the nation, I'm not too surprised if the system didn't get properly tested, or if the testers found problems but got pressures from the big fish to just sign off the system.

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this year's "censless" (as Mongo chooses to call it) is a joke of monumental stupidity and ineptitude. What greater praise for any governing body.

Forget potentially compromised security of online. The idea of sending back this information through clearly identifiable envelopes using (of all things) Australia Post, is just stupidity upon stupidity. More things go missing in the post (even registered items) than one can count - let alone targeted items like completed censless forms.

On top of all this, the cost has probably blown out to over one and a half times the original expense had they stuck to the old drop off - pick up system. Mongo would think that most will now not do this online but ask for paper copies anyway.......HOPELESS !!
    Nikon and Pentax user

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Basically the government doesn't want to know what we want, it gets in the way of what they want.
    Amen, never a truer word written methinks.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like millions of others I got the "Call back later" message so submitted an online query (six days before the Census) which was finally acknowledged at 11.00 am last Friday (12/8) telling me that Field Officers were in the area and to approach them and explain my circumstances (3 days after the big day).

As it happened we actually got a paper form with login details dropped in the driveway on the Monday so I managed to get an on-line entry into this chook raffle at 5.46pm on Census night, obviously before the big crash and got a receipt to confirm the form was submitted.

Then late Friday afternoon I get another gobbledegook message assuring me that although my data was safe, I might like to fill out the paper form and submit it just to satisfy myself that I was included - no danger of duplication as the system could detect duplicate submissions - why I don't know if my data is safe.

Not much chance of that happening as the paper form went through the shredder on Wednesday after and is now in nesting boxes for sugar gliders!

You hit the nail on the head Mongo!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i only got my log in details yesterday, got online and did it today. pretty simple really.
    Happy to take all constructive Critique, please don't rework or edit my photos. Thanks!

Canon 6D, 2 Canon 50D's gripped, Canon 1000D, Canon 70-200 F2.8 ( non IS),Canon 70-200 2.8, Canon 24-70 2.8, Sigma 85 1.4, Canon 50mm F1.8.. yongnuo speedlights and triggers, and manfrotto tripods.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting for a "why-didn't-you-do-your-census? message from them.

It stands to reason that if you did it, you should get such a message

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done mine as soon as they came back on line. Seeks like there are a few people not completing the form yet. Just over half of population have done theirs.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast