User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: Help Me Decide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Me Decide

OK, so I have an out dated DSLR, Canon EOS 40D, I'm in two minds about getting a new model, do I keep the 40D or upgrade, or just stuff around with the iPhone?

I'm getting back into photography after a break of around 4 years, mainly wanting to get really nice images of the new car and what ever else catches my eye from time to time.

Not looking for anything overly priced.

Also, what would I look to sell the 40D for? In excellent condition, looked after really well, babied even, have a I think off the top of my head a 50mm, 17-85mm, 150-500mm, 530 flash, some cheap filters, cheap shutter remote, cheap tripod, Canon battery grip which is also in excellent condition, babied and looked after.
    Canon EOS 40D - Canon EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM - Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - Canon Speedlite 430EX III - Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps a suggestion of a price range would be helpful? Of course all your lenses carryover to your new DSLR. I always aim high for the dearest one I can afford and that way I don't have to upgrade too quickly. It must also meet the aims that you want out of your new DSLR. Do you want full frame(more expensive ) or cropped? I think price range is the first starting point. Cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found that i actually prefer the extra depth of field the apc sensor offers, full frame lenses start getting super expensive, and m43 sensors are too noisy and good lenses are quite expensive also.... apsc is a happy medium.
    if i were in your shoes id jump on a 70D as bargains can be had for them right now. that way all your lenses carry over and you still get that 800mm equiv from the sigma telephoto which is nice for birding etc.
    or if you want something even cheaper, just grab a used 60D or 7D mki, they are cheap as chips. i got a used 7D the other day for only 350 almost unused. the 'outdated' 18mp sensor is still more than good enough for me

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the difference between cropped & full frame, sorry I'm a noob in many ways.

Would Like to stick to Canon so I can carry my lenses over, have a 50mm, 17-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then I think to myself, what's the point in getting a new camera when I can't get the results I'm after with the camera I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Then I think to myself, what's the point in getting a new camera when I can't get the results I'm after with the camera I have.

Fishy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start by sticking into auto. Let the camera do all the thinking. Then you can experiment a bit later on. And the beauty of digital is if it is no good just hit the delete button. Cheers Brian

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for 70D. I have the 60D which I love. But the 70D has so many more features like touch screen and WIFI. Plus you can use all of the lenses that you have.
    Cheers, Ann

60D, Canon 18-200mm, Canon Fisheye, Canon Macro, Canon 50mm prime, Tripod. Photoshop Elements, Picasa.

www.travellerspoint.com/users/aussirose www.flickr.com/aussirose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats wrong with the 40D? Where do you find it lacking?

I think you need to answer this to determine what your after in a new body.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Morgo, as you are interested in top pix of cars and the like, I think you will want tack sharp results. Try a used 60 or 70D, and if the results with your existing lenses are not to your satisfaction, then you are up for real big money for a top medium range zoom lens. If you want a reasonable comparison of lenses based on laboratory testing, try the Dxomark comparison tool on the web. You can rate many lenses in relation to those which you know. I hope you enjoy the experience of making a choice.
    cheers marty.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bricat View Post
    Start by sticking into auto. Let the camera do all the thinking. Then you can experiment a bit later on. And the beauty of digital is if it is no good just hit the delete button. Cheers Brian
    I have no hassles playing with the camera in manual mode, also makes me learn a lot more as I go too, just not happy with a lot of the images I've taken lately, but saying that, I can imagine taking photos of a black 2016 Holden VF series II SSV Redline isn't easy, I'm a bit picky about things, just not happy with end results, I'm kind of use to taking sport photos, haven't done so in years mind you, but find it a lot more easier though.

As shared in another post, I took this around 7 years back, isn't the original, that got lost somewhere a long the way, but always tried to keep a copy somewhere though, it's a little grainy I know, I actually had the original blown up and framed for a mate (him batting), probably the best photo I've taken.

Only thing I did to this image was sharpen it slightly years back and crop it tighter, I'm really happy with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morgo View Post
    Whats wrong with the 40D? Where do you find it lacking?

I think you need to answer this to determine what your after in a new body.
    It might sound stupid I know, but I find it so f!@#ing annoying looking through the eye piece, I'd love to be able to just look through a view finder screen, also the touch screen and Wifi are really attractive, to be honest, that a lone probably isn't enough to justify buying a new DSLR.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to be a PITA but could I get replies in this post please? Save everything being all over the place, multiple posts, threads, plus I've explained myself a lot more I think in this thread, cheers.

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...on-DSLR-Advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martycon View Post
    G'day Morgo, as you are interested in top pix of cars and the like, I think you will want tack sharp results. Try a used 60 or 70D, and if the results with your existing lenses are not to your satisfaction, then you are up for real big money for a top medium range zoom lens. If you want a reasonable comparison of lenses based on laboratory testing, try the Dxomark comparison tool on the web. You can rate many lenses in relation to those which you know. I hope you enjoy the experience of making a choice.
    cheers marty.
    lol, I'm actually pretty well sorted