User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: Canon DSLR Advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon DSLR Advice

OK, firstly, disregard the previous thread I created.

So I'm looking into perhaps a new camera pack or perhaps just a camera body.

Currently I have a Canon EOS 40D with Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 17-85mm, Sigma 150-500mm, Canon Speedlite 430ex, Canon Battery Grip, cheap eBay filters, cheap eBay tripod.

I'm thinking either sell just the 40D body and Battery Grip, or sell the 40D body a long with the 50mm and 17-85mm and Canon Battery Grip.

Haven't read right into new cameras yet, so unsure if the Speedlite would be usable with other models.

So far, I like the look of the 1300D and the 70D, mind you, I can't justify the 70D price tag seeing I'm just an average take a photo now and then.

Also, if I'm not getting the results I'm after with the current camera, a new camera isn't going to all of a sudden make me get the images I'm after, it isn't the camera that takes a great photo, it's the photographer.

Mind you, black cars are very hard to photo, well for me they are.

Also, do the Canon cameras still come with the Canon software like they used too? Like editing CD software and what not?

So, seeing I'm a noob and no where near as cluey as most of the others here when it comes to photography and hardware, what are some people's thoughts on what I should do?

Sell the 40D and Battery grip together, or sell the 40D, Battery Grip, 50mm, 17-85mm.

I wish to keep the Sigma 150-500, seeing cricket season is coming up soon and have found it great for cricket photos in the past.

Any other suggestions on Canons? OR... should I perhaps look at Nikon and just sell all my gear up?

Cheers.

Took this around 6/7 years back when I started to get into DSLR photography using the 40D and Sigma 150-500mm, isn't the original, the original copy of this image has gotten lost somewhere over the years but still made sure to keep a copy as it's one of the best photos I've taken.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/...pse24znuaz.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what price range would I be looking to sell the 40D and so on for?
    Canon EOS 40D - Canon EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM - Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - Canon Speedlite 430EX III - Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd throw up a couple images I took last night, not entirely happy with these, I'm thinking mainly the light.

Probably the wrong place to post these also, sorry.

Last edited by Darkthrone; 08-08-2016 at 9:33pm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canon DSLR Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthrone View Post

Also, if I'm not getting the results I'm after with the current camera, a new camera isn't going to all of a sudden make me get the images I'm after, it isn't the camera that takes a great photo, it's the photographer.
    This is the statement worth holding onto.

Canon, Nikon, Pentax, whatever, doesn't really matter, it's about what works for you, and this is generally what you're used to. So you might as well stick with Canon.

The 50 mm is probably worth keeping as its not worth much, and yet is one of the sharpest lenses out there and pretty useful for automotive work.

I'm not sure a 40D is worth a great deal these days, but I could be wrong. Easiest way to find out what they're worth is to go trawling you local gumtree, eBay etc for others for sale.

You may be better off researching automotive photography (if that's what you want to do) and doing a course or two and looking to see what you can achieve with the current kit. As you try to improve the technique it will become more apparent which bits of new kit will help you reach that next level. But! Remember the statement above.
    Last edited by Hamster; 08-08-2016 at 11:15pm.
    My Flickr Site
    Instagram _alex_ham_

Gear - Canon 5D mkIII, 16-35 f2.8L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L IS, nifty 50, 75-300 f4-5.6. Sigma SD Quattro H, Sigma 35 mm Art, Sigma 85 mm Art, Canon G1X MkII, Panasonic Lumix DMC LX3, iPhone.

Serial Truant....
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a real need for upgrade then do it, but as you say and Hamster reiterated, new gear isn't going to make you a better photographer.

The 40D is still a very capable camera, the resolution is adequate, having more but smaller pixels doesn't necessarily make for better images.

If you have a need for better low light performance, or faster frame rates and more accurate focus (sports shooting), then a later model camera may improve your images.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the 40D you have and learn to use it properly.. Then upgrade to a later model camera.
    I have a 40D and its still working fine, last time I checked the Shutter count last year it was close to 130,000.
    If you want to keep the Sigma its best to stick with the Canon brand as it wont fit a Nikon unless you get some kind of adaptor.

Yes the Canon cameras come with a disc with DPP for editing and converting RAW images.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF you want the software just go here:
    http://www.canon-europe.com/support/...N&os=WINDOWS 7 (64-bit)

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 40D and I kept it for a while until I realised I wasn't using it (I bought a full frame). However, the 40 D is one of the best cameras i have owned and takes excellent shots. I doubt it will fetch much 2nd hand, so I'd keep it and keep using it. It can take excellent photos, so keep using it and see if you can too! 8*)

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided that it's best to just keep the camera, the way I see it is it really isn't the camera that makes a good shot, it's the person holding it.

I'm also not someone that carries a camera with me where ever I go or play around with it most days of the week, only really got back into photography after a few years of giving it away.

I'm just better off playing around with this camera and getting the most out of it, how ever I do that and learning as I go.

Excuse my ignorance, what's the difference between cropped and full frame? Cheers.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It refers to the sensor size.

Arbitrarily, a sensor the size of a 35mm film frame (36mm x 24mm) has been assigned the
    moniker of "full frame", notwithstanding that there have always been "fuller" sized frames,
    and also now in digital. Anything that is less than "full frame" in size is referred to as a
    "crop/ped" frame/sensor.

I just know that you, like me, thought it was something to do with pastures in the field, and that
    a browser was some sort of vegetarian quadruped that had such pasture on its menu.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 12-08-2016 at 9:22am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkthrone View Post
    I've decided that it's best to just keep the camera, the way I see it is it really isn't the camera that makes a good shot, it's the person holding it.

I'm also not someone that carries a camera with me where ever I go or play around with it most days of the week, only really got back into photography after a few years of giving it away.

I'm just better off playing around with this camera and getting the most out of it, how ever I do that and learning as I go.

Excuse my ignorance, what's the difference between cropped and full frame? Cheers.
    Hi Darkthrone, as a Canon user I thought I would post a word or two. Agree with MaryAnne and that is, make full use of the camera you've got and then upgrade when you feel you've outgrown it. I had a 450D for many years which I loved but found as I got into photography more I fine tuned what I liked to photograph and decided to upgrade to another camera to enhance what I had already started doing with my 450D if that makes sense. I found myself drawn the most to shooting landscapes in low light situations and started to find that I just couldn't achieve what I wanted with the 450D as it doesn't handle low light very well at all - lots of noise from ISO800 up. So I looked for an upgrade that would fit the bill for what I was photographing the most and for me it was the Canon 6D. I deliberated for sometime as to whether it was worth it but am so glad I did. I just bought the body and not the kit as the lens I wanted (Canon 16-35mm F/4 L) had to be bought separately. Although I also own a Sigma 150-600mm and a Tamron macro I have to say that 90% of my work is done with the 16-35mm lens. I real little ripper of a lens!

Also don't think it was mentioned but if you do upgrade to a full frame, the Canon EFS lenses that fit the crop frame camera wont fit the full frame camera. However Canon EF lenses that fit a full frame camera will fit onto a crop frame camera though there will be a bit of difference in the focal length.

An excellent way to try out gear is to join Canon Collectives which is part of the Canon Community. Every state has photo shoots at various locations where you can meet other Canon users and get to try a whole range of Canon camera bodies and lenses at the shoot. Most shoots are free and you get to learn so much. My skill level has improved so much since I started attending these shoots and I love that I can play around with a whole heap of lenses, some of which are totally out of my price range and probably will never buy, so its great that I can have a play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darkthrone

Keep the gear you have, the better the lens the better the result is more the case than necessarily the better the body.

Practice does also make perfect. Try different settings, F stop, shutter speeds and work out what works best for you in different situations.

White cars are also hard to photograph, for the similar reasons black ones.